Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..that's the way I would do it.
Thanks for the clarification, Tom and I agree, that is how I would do it as well. As you said, I just don't see Ford cutting corners on such an expensive option and, one that to my knowledge, they've never offered on a Shelby previously. Anyway, I truly hope you and others who share your opinion are correct that the end result is gorgeous but, no matter, we'll know soon enough.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for the clarification, Tom and I agree, that is how I would do it as well. As you said, I just don't see Ford cutting corners on such an expensive option and, one that to my knowledge, they've never offered on a Shelby previously. Anyway, I truly hope you and others who share your opinion are correct that the end result is gorgeous but, no matter, we'll know soon enough.
I do believe a very few limited 350s were painted on. I dont recall the exact details, but is was extremely limited.

Was it 19's?? Again, extremely limited

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I do believe a very few limited 350s were painted on.
It would be interesting to learn what Ford charged for the option then. Doing quad stripes 350-style would be even more work.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not a professional painter but I’ve hobby painted for years. The original process described could be done, but It just seems like it would be quite the dance to get the car back on the paint line without screwing up the base coat and new stripes as the clear is your protection layer. It could be be done but to my knowledge most base coats will require clear to be applied within a a few hours or the base will need to be scuffed, before clear, or stripes in this example is applied, so scuff before the paint stripes, than scuff again to paint clear. To me it would be easier to clear the car, then pull from the line, scuff the clear, paint stripes then re- clear the panels needed.
Yep. That's my take except can you even scuff/sand the color if its metallic or pearl without that area looking different under the clear? Not to mention I understand the factory color is incredibly thin so not much to scuff before clear or sand to correct damage before the clear.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Who did the stripes?
Coulter Cadillac On Camelback Rd in Phoenix. Great work but lags a bit on sign updates (going on 15 years - see below).

I didn't order my 2013 ATS from them but when it got T-boned in the driver rear wheel area by an M3 'vert. A tow truck driver said the best work he'd seen was Coulter so I had them repair it and it was perfect. They give a lifetime warranty and I was a little skeptical but they showed me a pickup from the '40s they had just repainted (again). Pre-clearcoat paint doesn't hold up to AZ sun forever.

Stripes weren't a typical job for them and I wouldn't have used them for that except their top painter did custom painting in a prior life. It took a lot of arm twisting to get them to do it since they couldn't know for sure how it would impact the workflow of repair jobs. Their bread and butter customers expect quick turnaround. I also had them repaint my bumpers. They weren't an exact match from the factory (common issue) and the dealer I ordered it from was prepared to repaint them for free but I didn't want my lifetime guaranteed stripes over unknown quality dealer paint.

Another member here had stripes done even cheaper at a shop in So Cal. I talked to them over the phone before going local and they used the same process. I might have gone with them if I lived near but never saw their work in the flesh.

upload_2019-10-8_2-16-26.png

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm simply stating the obvious
Your post that aftermarket stripes won't be on the window sticker was so obvious it made no sense to me on its face.

Left to guess why you would post that, the real intent seemed to be an implication that Mustangs are meant to go thru life unmodified. I'd wonder just as much if someone posted that water is wet if they didn't go on to say WHY they posted that.

If I misinterpreted your point, I apologize. But you share some responsibility being unclear. I still don't believe you thought any members here would not already know any aftermarket mods would be missing from the window sticker and information the sticker was based on.

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
To the best of my knowledge the only painted OTT stripe option offered on a Shelby go back to 1966 when SA had a full fledged paint booth at their LAX facility whereby they were also painted all of their AC Cobra and race cars at that same shop.

If my memory serves me right the painted OTT stripes for the 1966 MY became such a hassle and pain in the butt for them they discontinued that option for the following 1967 MY.

Of course most of us know that the 2005/2006 Ford GT's also all had painted stripes on their cars.

With respect to the 2020 GT500 painted OTT stripes option all that I can add to all of this is that we all know how anal and precise Roger Penske is with all of his operations therefore we can expect nothing but the best from not only him but also from the FRAP when it comes to this option.

For the princely sum of $10,000 both Ford and Team Penske knows that they are not dealing with the average Mustang enthusiast from down the street but in fact are dealing with enthusiasts that want and expect nothing but the best therefore the stakes are high and suggest that all precautions will be taken in order to get this option as perfect as possible.

Based on what I observed numerous times this past week both Ford and Team Penske did an outstanding job on the GT500 that I inspected and to the point whereby I am seriously considering adding that same option to my car.

:wink:

bullitt5566

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighning Blue GT350 2010 Blue Flame Raptor 2001 True Blue Bullitt
Maybe someone already pointed this out already, but typically when you paint a car the color coat is applied and allowed to flash, but not completely dry, then the clear is applied over the color. Not sure how the process of transporting the car somewhere else for painted stripes, then back to ford for clear coat works. Typically if the color coat dries, the entire car would need to be "scuffed" before applying the clear coat otherwise it will not adhere correctly.Overall I'd say that Ford has carefully engineered the painting process and monkeying with that process is just asking for paint problems down the road.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Harry: I did know about the Ford GT's but didn't know about the original paint shop in LA, thanks for the blast from the past. :-) I had to chuckle when I read that the process turned into a real pain in the butt. I also didn't know that Roger P. was known to be obsessive about details, that's a most excellent calmer for my heebie jeebies. <smiling>

I also hadn't thought about what Ford and Penske might think about those of us who ordered the expensive option but it certainly makes perfect sense. Roger doesn't want any negative press about his Shelby stripe-painting shop and for sure Ford doesn't want any. They want happy customers who will continue to throw money at them. :-)

So, after your great report on the one you saw in person, I'm now confident that both parties will produce an outstanding paint product.

Thanks, dude...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
To the best of my knowledge the only painted OTT stripe option offered on a Shelby go back to 1966 when SA had a full fledged paint booth at their LAX facility whereby they were also painted all of their AC Cobra and race cars at that same shop.

If my memory serves me right the painted OTT stripes for the 1966 MY became such a hassle and pain in the butt for them they discontinued that option for the following 1967 MY.

Of course most of us know that the 2005/2006 Ford GT's also all had painted stripes on their cars.

With respect to the 2020 GT500 painted OTT stripes option all that I can add to all of this is that we all know how anal and precise Roger Penske is with all of his operations therefore we can expect nothing but the best from not only him but also from the FRAP when it comes to this option.

For the princely sum of $10,000 both Ford and Team Penske knows that they are not dealing with the average Mustang enthusiast from down the street but in fact are dealing with enthusiasts that want and expect nothing but the best therefore the stakes are high and suggest that all precautions will be taken in order to get this option as perfect as possible.

Based on what I observed numerous times this past week both Ford and Team Penske did an outstanding job on the GT500 that I inspected and to the point whereby I am seriously considering adding that same option to my car.

:wink:
Do it Harry, do it! On second thought, don't..... It will make my car more rare. LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Do it Harry, do it! On second thought, don't..... It will make my car more rare. LOL
Already thought of that but we have different interior options therefore they are still differently spec'd vehicles!!!:wink:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Maybe someone already pointed this out already, but typically when you paint a car the color coat is applied and allowed to flash, but not completely dry, then the clear is applied over the color. Not sure how the process of transporting the car somewhere else for painted stripes, then back to ford for clear coat works. Typically if the color coat dries, the entire car would need to be "scuffed" before applying the clear coat otherwise it will not adhere correctly.Overall I'd say that Ford has carefully engineered the painting process and monkeying with that process is just asking for paint problems down the road.
Myself and another member pointed that out in this thread. Not that it matters what I think, I'm not convinced they are really doing it as described.

It doesn't make sense to me. Lots of other aspects such as the factory paint, including clear coat is done by robots on cars that haven't been assembled. I can't imagine that process lends itself to painting a completed car. If they re-inserted these finished cars back in to be cleared, they would have to mask tires, wheels, fender-wells, exhaust, maybe headlights, grills, the list is nearly endless, not to mention the bare bodies in normal painting have to be held in places that aren't normally painted; where would those be on a finished car?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
what scares me about the process is that all the great work that Penske puts into the car will then be turned over to the general population back at flat rock and be treated like any other mustang. The thought of shipping on a rail car and then an open carrier makes me cringe.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It doesn't make sense to me. Lots of other aspects such as the factory paint, including clear coat is done by robots on cars that haven't been assembled. I can't imagine that process lends itself to painting a completed car. If they re-inserted these finished cars back in to be cleared, they would have to mask tires, wheels, fender-wells, exhaust, maybe headlights, grills, the list is nearly endless, not to mention the bare bodies in normal painting have to be held in places that aren't normally painted; where would those be on a finished car?
That would be what I would question - it seems way too late in the build process to clear coat a car (if the process flow is accurate).

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
and be treated like any other mustang. The thought of shipping on a rail car and then an open carrier makes me cringe.
Tom: I think you are a mind reader as I go to bed at night worrying about both those factors.
Sponsored