March Mustang Club (MMC)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom: Again, thanks for the insight and like you, were I to discover that the delivered car had sat out all Winter in Detroit, I think I too would refuse it.
I'm happy for you. You will be fine. My CFTP was an early selection that should have been built in your timeframe, but due to various issues, I will probably be part of the MMC.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What is the "penalty" to refuse your car? Just a loss of deposit and burning the dealer?
I think the only way a dealer would feel they got burned is if they were not able to sell the car for the price you agreed upon. As far as I know, dealers cannot keep deposits. People back out of deals all the time and I suspect anyone who agreed to a huge ADM for a car this build cycle will back out of that deal come next year. People are paying to have it first.

Now, If you order a color or build that is not conducive to resale, I have seen dealers put a stipulation on the deposit that is not refundable.

To answer your question, you can back out any time. However the allocation has been used and you probably aren't going to get another one. Furthermore, that dealer will probably not want to do business with you again.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Sound's about right, Tom and frankly, while not a fan of big government in any way shape or form, it seems like there should be restrictions on a corporation that would prevent a customer from receiving a vehicle that is 3-6 months old and has been sitting outdoors the whole time. Heck, I wouldn't even want a bicycle that sat outside during a Northern Winter let alone a $100k vehicle. I realize that the dealership wouldn't be happy but I would hope they'd understand. IMHO, that's asking too much of the customer.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks Tom, that's what I figured, if this 2020 doesn't work out I will be using another dealer for 2021. I have decided February is my decision month.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Sound's about right, Tom and frankly, while not a fan of big government in any way shape or form, it seems like there should be restrictions on a corporation that would prevent a customer from receiving a vehicle that is 3-6 months old and has been sitting outdoors the whole time. Heck, I wouldn't even want a bicycle that sat outside during a Northern Winter let alone a $100k vehicle. I realize that the dealership wouldn't be happy but I would hope they'd understand. IMHO, that's asking too much of the customer.
Yea I would really think they would have an air hanger for long term storage. I just had to do that for my company for excess stock. Sure it would be nice to put it out in the parking lot but this isn't acting in a responsible manner for our customers/patients.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
One more thing before I call it quits here for a while, Ford doesn't intentionally build cars so they sit on the lot all winter. It is a matter of temperature. If it gets to cold, they stop building and shipping. They don't do this on purpose. Understand that they are trying to get as many of these cars built before this shutdown. I don't know if you have seen cup2's damaged by cold, but it essentially ruins the tire. This happened to me and a new set is almost $2,000. I don't know why Ford hasn't worked out a solution to the issue (like shipping the car on shipping wheels, like they use for manufacture), but it probably has more to do with scheduling. They have estimated units to be manufactured, and the winter break seems to coincide with those numbers.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
What is the "penalty" to refuse your car? Just a loss of deposit and burning the dealer?
I won't comment too much on a loss of deposit as that can be a tricky subject but in most cases I suggest that most people will in fact get their money back if so desired.

With respect to burning a dealership that certainly would not be the case based on the present demand for the 2020 GT500's.

With all of the current issues at the FRAP which involves an influx of other makes and models for further diagnostic correction along with delayed delivery of key parts for our cars the majority of the GT500's production will be pushed out until the Spring of 2020.

With that being the case I will suggest that any dealership that has already ordered and spec'd out their car in a certain configuration they will have lots of time to reconfigure any different options, colors, stripes, etc. well before GT500 production resumes 5 months in 2020.

My understanding and experience is that any cars previously coming standard with Cup 2 tires whether they be the R model and now with the CFTP option these cars will not sit over the winter in the FRAP holding yard while waiting for transportation to various Ford dealerships sometime next Spring.

Having said that it is my understanding that any R model or CFTP option car built this Fall prior to the FRAP shutdown sometime in November that each GT500 or R model will ship via rail or road later this year and am not aware of any R models for the 2016 to 2019 MY's that sat over the winter waiting for transportation the following Spring therefore suggest that this will not be an issue for the GT500 going forward.

:sunglasses:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sure hope you are correct, Tom. Come back soon. :-)
im still here. taking a break between jobs. I do recall instances where cars did sit. one such car received special approval to ship in the cold. ill dig it up later. like I said, ford doesn't do this on purpose. back to work for me.....

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
How I hope you're correct, Harry.
Ford certainly knows better than anyone what the dire consequences are for allowing Cup 2 tires to be driven in freezing or sub freezing temperatures therefore if anyone thinks that the FRAP is going to assemble R models and CFTP optioned cars and then allow them to sit and possibly moved and repositioned during the Winter season at the FR holding yard I suggest that they best think again.

With thousands of vehicles being produced at FR every month can the odd vehicle get lost in the shuffle and inadvertently sit over the Winter by mistake, absolutely but it certainly is not the intent for FR to build GT500 CFTP optioned cars and then have the Mod Shop install Cup 2 tires on these 2 seat cars this Fall and then decide to arrange for transportation the following Spring.

For anyone that has a scheduled build date and a confirmed assembly date prior to the FR shutdown in November for a 2 seat car and unfortunately does not receive their vehicle until sometime next Spring it would be very obvious that the first item to inspect on your new vehicle would be the Cup 2 tires and from there look for possible paint issues from acid rain and then proceed on to other areas of concern from there.

With respect to the Michelin 4S tires that come installed on the 4 seat GT500's it is my understanding that sub zero temperatures does not have an effect on that tire unlike the Cup 2 tires.

:)

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Ford certainly knows better than anyone what the dire consequences are for allowing Cup 2 tires to be driven in freezing or sub freezing temperatures therefore if anyone thinks that the FRAP is going to assemble R models and CFTP optioned cars and then allow them to sit and possibly moved and repositioned during the Winter season at the FR holding yard I suggest that they best think again.

With thousands of vehicles being produced at FR every month can the odd vehicle get lost in the shuffle and inadvertently sit over the Winter by mistake, absolutely but it certainly is not the intent for FR to build GT500 CFTP optioned cars and then have the Mod Shop install Cup 2 tires on these 2 seat cars this Fall and then decide to arrange for transportation the following Spring.

For anyone that has a scheduled build date and a confirmed assembly date prior to the FR shutdown in November for a 2 seat car and unfortunately they do not receive their vehicle until sometime next Spring it would be very obvious that the first item to inspect on your new vehicle would be the Cup 2 tires and from there look for possible paint issues from acid rain and then proceed on to other areas of concern from there.

With respect to the Michelin 4S tires that come installed on the 4 seat GT500's it is my understanding that sub zero temperatures does not have an effect on that tire unlike the Cup 2 tires.

:)
Sadly, according to the description on Tire Rack for the 4S tires:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Harry: I can't tell you how much I appreciated your comment about the tires and who will ship. It's what I have been trying to TELL myself all along, I just haven't been able to get my brain to buy the logic. Now I can so thanks again.
Sponsored