Sponsored

GT350 vs Supra / M2 Comp / 718 Cayman Review -- C&D Article Oct 2019

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you read between the lines, it's more than just the numbers. Yet again, an editorial has blasted an M product for a complete lack of feel and engagement. If that 718 had an NA inline 6 as good as Porsche has delivered in the past, it probably would have taken this contest.
Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I get it i was just trying to get in under cost but the pp2 obviously doesnt have that glorious engine of the gt350 either.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
the pp2 obviously doesnt have that glorious engine of the gt350 either.
Or the same feel in many respects. The transmission, the brakes, the MagneRide tuning, the aero. It all adds up.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Or the same feel in many respects. The transmission, the brakes, the MagneRide tuning, the aero. It all adds up.
Transmission, brakes, magneride and the engine. Yup. It all adds up and really it synergizes. I realize that's an overused marketing term, but it's true for the GT350. The whole is more than the sum of its parts. Sweet car.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
If that 718 had an NA inline 6 as good as Porsche has delivered in the past, it probably would have taken this contest.
I will agree, as will most, that the flat 6 had a glorious note.
I had to chuckle picturing an "inline 6" trying to fit into a Cayman... I already had mentally got my recip saw and starting cutting away on the bottom of my Porsche.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I will agree, as will most, that the flat 6 had a glorious note.
I had to chuckle picturing an "inline 6" trying to fit into a Cayman... I already had mentally got my recip saw and starting cutting away on the bottom of my Porsche.
Jesus, I meant Flat 6. Not inline. It's been a long day...

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My favorite thing to come out of this article is how upset the M2 forum is. It's worth a read if you go over there. Just remember to blend in with some spray tan.
It wasn't that bad over on the forums. I did get a chuckle out of one of the comments that said the GT350 was a boat.
Im am not surprised the GT350 was #1 but I figured 90% of the GT350 performance for less money still would have placed on top.
GT350 is more than the sum of it's parts. 90% of the performance, but the GT350 is actually the one that pulls people in who own Porsches, exotics, and other sports cars and for good reason. It delivers a unique experience that you cannot even buy anywhere else today(Naturally aspirated, flat-plane crank engine, RWD, manual). Hell, I never even cared about the Mustang until the GT350 came out. Frankly, I still don't care for regular Mustangs. It's clear you're a numbers guy, one who worries about stats more than the experience, and that's ok, there's a car out there for everybody. In my case, I need a car that elicits an aural and visceral experience, and not just of speed.

I think the GT Mustang would have placed near the bottom if not last. Hell, it wouldn't even be on my radar if I was shopping for a new car.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
The recaro description made me laugh out loud.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Not at all. The torque dips in a very similar fashion as the Voodoo engine. Wonderful piece of engineering...when it works.
Unfortunately, until the 2019, the GT350R/350 experienced so many blown engines, especially among those who tracked (I experienced two). My E90 M3 just passed 100k miles, and the "ticking time bomb" rod bearings which I had replaced at 90k miles..the originals looked pristine. The high-revving BMW engines, while they've had their issues I think are significantly more reliable than the 15-18 350/Rs considering how many more were produced and any that did have issues occurred much later after lots of miles.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Unfortunately, until the 2019, the GT350R/350 experienced so many blown engines, especially among those who tracked (I experienced two). My E90 M3 just passed 100k miles, and the "ticking time bomb" rod bearings which I had replaced at 90k miles..the originals looked pristine. The high-revving BMW engines, while they've had their issues I think are significantly more reliable than the 15-18 350/Rs considering how many more were produced and any that did have issues occurred much later after lots of miles.
Time will tell high performance engines will have issues. 100 hp/l is the golden rule but short of the s2000 reliability issues are common.

The gt350 has had very very few blown engines. It has had engines replaced due to consumption.

There have been no warranty denials so im fine wth it. The e90 v8 will not go down as one of the better S engines.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Time will tell high performance engines will have issues. 100 hp/l is the golden rule but short of the s2000 reliability issues are common.

The gt350 has had very very few blown engines. It has had engines replaced due to consumption.

There have been no warranty denials so im fine wth it. The e90 v8 will not go down as one of the better S engines.
Agree, zero warranty denials which is fantastic. Oil consumption doesn't appear to be the only issue (both my engines had sufficient oil when went bad and zero consumption issues).

The S65 has had a less than 1% failure rate over 10 years since first production. The GT350 I believe is much higher. I know people on their 3rd and 4th engines. My dealer alone has replaced 9. In my regional circle of track folks, I'm seeing 2x-3x the failure vs the S65 for about only 1/4 of the cars, indicating a much higher failure rate (there are a LOT of people who track in no cal given the proximity of 3 world class tracks and them running 12 months per year). I do think the post 2019 engines will be much better.

Rob360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
///
Let me guess, redneck and impregnated cousin jokes lol.

I've driven an M2. It's a very nice thing. The biggest issue I have with it is the turbo lag. Weirdly enough, the M2 feels every pound of its curb weight. The 350 feels lighter than its curb weight. Which to this day still upsets me in that what if the car really was 100lbs lighter? How amazing would that be.
I test drove an M2 and didn't notice any turbo lag to speak of at all. Great car.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Agree, zero warranty denials which is fantastic. Oil consumption doesn't appear to be the only issue (both my engines had sufficient oil when went bad and zero consumption issues).

The S65 has had a less than 1% failure rate over 10 years since first production. The GT350 I believe is much higher. I know people on their 3rd and 4th engines. My dealer alone has replaced 9. In my regional circle of track folks, I'm seeing 2x-3x the failure vs the S65 for about only 1/4 of the cars, indicating a much higher failure rate (there are a LOT of people who track in no cal given the proximity of 3 world class tracks and them running 12 months per year). I do think the post 2019 engines will be much better.
who is on 4? I would say if someone has gone through 4 engines you need to consider MAYBE the driver? After years on this forum and reading all the engine failure threads I dont think we are at 1%

You realize that BMW doesnt warranty your engine if you blow it on the track right? They probably were not double clutching. Granny shifts!!