Sponsored

GT350 vs Supra / M2 Comp / 718 Cayman Review -- C&D Article Oct 2019

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I read the article over the weekend. Yes, old school print magazine. :)

The first thing I said to my spouse (who humors me on this stuff) is that it is -shocking- that C&D voted the oldest model to the top. They are notorious for giving the latest model the top rating. Also surprising that the Bimmer was at the bottom, given that they have been accused of being the biggest BMW fanboys bar none.

Anyway - a great showing for the GT350, and quite validating for those of us that cross shopped and know just how fun it is to drive.

Regarding the comment above about the E92 - that was a great BMW. I bought one. However, its V8 does run out of umph. I still have a B7 RS4, which is so much more rewarding than the E92. I think I still like the RS4 better than the GT350, but I drive the GT350 more. :)
Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
I for one am not surprised by this outcome. Had an R and now have a GT3 RS. The 350/R is operating on a different level vs its direct competition and I think is more in the realm of GT3/RS. Granted, the reliability of the R wasn't there for me, but supposedly the problems are now corrected. If so, it is one of the best performance car values and a car with real, distinct character that is not replicated by anything at any price point.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I just traded a M240 for a '19 GT350 because I missed my '17 GT350. I could find no fault with the BMW with nearly the same acceleration and 30 mpg on the highway. I averaged 24 mpg. But cars are not about gas mileage to me, they are about soul and the BMW has no soul compared to the GT350. Every time I fire up that flat plane crank engine and run through the gears I realize what driving a car is all about. There is nothing like it. I will change the tires for something more livable when the Cup 2's wear out however.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I think I still like the RS4 better than the GT350, but I drive the GT350 more. :)
Interesting... I owned 3 Audi's, trying to forget them all... Never again. Horrible handling cars for a premium price; clunky manual gearboxes (almost unusable in winter), disconnected steering, failing timing chains (my S4 and my first S, the 2002 S3). Every bloody switch in the cabin was replaced at some point after about 6 years of ownership in my S3.
I never had an issue with my M3's see how many I owned in the sig... Ok, the M5 V10 must have been the icing on the cake, best of all. But boy, did that car needed TLC...

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
That was why I initially purchased a non-R GT350. I didn't want to spend the money for an R, and I felt the R was less practical as a daily driver. I also didn't want to spend $60k for something that I wouldn't use a lot.

I think the regular GT350 makes an awesome daily driver.
Buy some lightweight wheels and ceramic breaks for that "normal" gt350 and you have the R beat anyway. ;)

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I just traded a M240 for a '19 GT350 because I missed my '17 GT350. I could find no fault with the BMW with nearly the same acceleration and 30 mpg on the highway. I averaged 24 mpg. But cars are not about gas mileage to me, they are about soul and the BMW has no soul compared to the GT350. Every time I fire up that flat plane crank engine and run through the gears I realize what driving a car is all about. There is nothing like it. I will change the tires for something more livable when the Cup 2's wear out however.
Well said!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
My 335xi is faster off the line than any stock GT350, R or not; and I only have a stage 1+ map on it. I have new turbos on the way, and I will definitely go stage 2... It will run rings around my R :)

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Park the two side by side at a show and no one looks at the BMW. That's a difference worth having. Someone always has more power. It's not about that. It is about what stirs the soul, the emotion that a car can stir deep inside you.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Park the two side by side at a show and no one looks at the BMW. That's a difference worth having. Someone always has more power. It's not about that. It is about what stirs the soul, the emotion that a car can stir deep inside you.
Absolutely 100% agree. I love the GT350 so much, that I upgraded from a track pack to an R.... I am never selling this.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Impressive company and a great result for all of the cars really. I love the GT350, and it is nice to see that it is still right up there with the best.

-T

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Interesting... I owned 3 Audi's, trying to forget them all... Never again. Horrible handling cars for a premium price; clunky manual gearboxes (almost unusable in winter), disconnected steering, failing timing chains (my S4 and my first S, the 2002 S3). Every bloody switch in the cabin was replaced at some point after about 6 years of ownership in my S3.
I never had an issue with my M3's see how many I owned in the sig... Ok, the M5 V10 must have been the icing on the cake, best of all. But boy, did that car needed TLC...
I would say that the '08 B7 RS4 is a special Audi... in the same way that the GT350 is a special Ford. Special high revving V8 (shared only with R8), special suspension (DRC), special transmission (manual only), special body panels (those gorgeous fender flairs), and a special driving feel. Another similarity is that I would never have considered owning an Audi until that car... much like I never thought I'd be driving a Ford until the GT350. :)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ive heard the E92 M3 motor runs out of gas up top making the car feel slow.
Not at all. The torque dips in a very similar fashion as the Voodoo engine. Wonderful piece of engineering...when it works.