Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Correct. Re-casted was the term I heard from a reliable source. Which is exactly what Carl suggested, that Ford Performance shored up some shortcomings in the 2.3 block, to make it more robust and stronger. And while at it, added new pistons and added a bigger turbo so that the 2.3 can stretch it legs.

So, the rhetorical question remains, if everyone is using the 2.0 block for re-builds, doesn't Carl & Ford Performance also know this? So if Ford went through the effort of a re-cast, then I am sure they corrected a few weak spots, since they have access to CFD, etc.

So if recasted, only a fool would suggest they didn't add a little more beef where needed.
The 2.3 RS engine needed a recast in order to make it a RWD application. That doesn't mean Ford did anything other than recast the RS block for RWD applications. If Ford made the RS engine stronger that is great. I wasn't aware of any issues with the RS engine that needed to be fixed. I watched the video and read Carl's comments but didn't get the impression that they made any significant changes to the block itself other than recasting it for RWD applications. The pistons, Turbo, etc. are a different subject.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This Package not Available in Europe ? Also Europe EcoBoost output is 270 HP.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Correct. Re-casted was the term I heard from a reliable source. Which is exactly what Carl suggested, that Ford Performance shored up some shortcomings in the 2.3 block, to make it more robust and stronger. And while at it, added new pistons and added a bigger turbo so that the 2.3 can stretch it legs.

So, the rhetorical question remains, if everyone is using the 2.0 block for re-builds, doesn't Carl & Ford Performance also know this? So if Ford went through the effort of a re-cast, then I am sure they corrected a few weak spots, since they have access to CFD, etc.

So if recasted, only a fool would suggest they didn't add a little more beef where needed.
Source is the videos on Youtube with Fords chief engineers. He says is an RS engine modified for RWD layout. If they built this thing to handle huge power numbers you bet your ass they would be telling everybody and also already testing a Mk4 Focus RS on that block to combat the new 400HP A45 AMG...but there are no such plans.

And a recast for RWD application doesnt mean they can just go around strengthening areas of the block that were already strong enough for 350+ HP. Businesses do not waste money like that for the sake of aftermarket tuning.

Lastly strengthening the area where the blocks are blowing holes at the moment isnt even a solution worth doing because the cylinder sleeves in this open block design are starting to move around at high horspower levels to causing the headgasket to scrub and fail.
Unless Carl is an alien with magic technology he isnt going to make a slightly revised open deck block in a 300 odd HP application do significantly better than its doing now no matter what the marketing says. Thats just plain engineering fact.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Source is the videos on Youtube with Fords chief engineers. He says is an RS engine modified for RWD layout. If they built this thing to handle huge power numbers you bet your ass they would be telling everybody and also already testing a Mk4 Focus RS on that block to combat the new 400HP A45 AMG...but there are no such plans.

And a recast for RWD application doesnt mean they can just go around strengthening areas of the block that were already strong enough for 350+ HP. Businesses do not waste money like that for the sake of aftermarket tuning.

Lastly strengthening the area where the blocks are blowing holes at the moment isnt even a solution worth doing because the cylinder sleeves in this open block design are starting to move around at high horspower levels to causing the headgasket to scrub and fail.
Unless Carl is an alien with magic technology he isnt going to make a slightly revised open deck block in a 300 odd HP application do significantly better than its doing now no matter what the marketing says. Thats just plain engineering fact.

If it is re-casted, then it has been beefed up. The 2.3 block is used in more vehicles than just the Mustang, the Trucks use the same engine too. You are not looking at the economy of scale Ford gets out of making what they have more refined & stronger. If Ford isn't given the money for a s650, then here is money for take what you have and make it better. (There is also an electric assist Mustang coming next year and industry insiders and automotive analysists suggest a new 2.3 EB will be coupled to 48v system. This is just speculation, but it is a hybrid design of some sorts.)

I find it odd, hearing people not advocating for an "updated" 2.3 EB @ $5k... Do we even know what turbo(manufacturer)? How big is the new intercooler? Intake? So why are people bashing on the Mustang HPP/HPO...?

What do you think the real horsepower and torque figures will be..?

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find it odd, hearing people not advocating for an "updated" 2.3 EB @ $5k... Do we even know what turbo(manufacturer)? How big is the new intercooler? Intake? So why are people bashing on the Mustang HPP/HPO...?

What do you think the real horsepower and torque figures will be..?
Nobody is bashing it, it is just common knowledge that is just the focus RS variant of the engine in a Mustang, thats what Ford themselves say, thats what the journalists all say, thats what the media materials says, and that what makes sense considering whats actually in the Ford parts bin. Thats fact. We all would love it to be a new forged closed deck block that can scale to 1000HP but thats just not the case at this point. Thats not what Ford did.
However during the full Mustang refresh cycle (this is basically still the facelift cycle) you can bet the Ecoboost platform is going to see major upgrades to the engine, it simply has to in order to compete with the mega four pot cars coming out of Europe and Japan now.

For now all we get is a mild tweak which has RS parts, its not the upgrade the tuners wanted on the 2.3L because it doesnt help when it comes to getting to 500HP+ we still need the same upgrades as before, but its a step forward at least in terms of getting more stable power from the factory.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Nobody is bashing it, it is just common knowledge that is just the focus RS variant of the engine in a Mustang, thats what Ford themselves say, thats what the journalists all say, thats what the media materials says, and that what makes sense considering whats actually in the Ford parts bin. Thats fact. We all would love it to be a new forged closed deck block that can scale to 1000HP but thats just not the case at this point. Thats not what Ford did.
However during the full Mustang refresh cycle (this is basically still the facelift cycle) you can bet the Ecoboost platform is going to see major upgrades to the engine, it simply has to in order to compete with the mega four pot cars coming out of Europe and Japan now.

For now all we get is a mild tweak which has RS parts, its not the upgrade the tuners wanted on the 2.3L because it doesnt help when it comes to getting to 500HP+ we still need the same upgrades as before, but its a step forward at least in terms of getting more stable power from the factory.
A new block is not a fords parts bin thingy. A re-casted block is a big deal, period!

The fact that you are hoping for a closed deck block, that worthy of 1000hp is ridiculous. Don't see any sane person thinking/hoping that the HPP is a drifting engine, etc. Not sure if you are joking, or just being facetious. It was an RS block, until it was re-casted... understand?

Ford Performance made a better RS engine and you are angry and dismissive because..? Tell us again.. what was wrong with the previous RS engine..? And then tell us how For did nothing about it...

New Block with new sleeves
New Pistons
New Turbo

As for your cow-tow argument, you don't see Ford using this re-casted engine in other cars, do you? We know what ford does with the 2.3 EB and what they have done with the rest of their EB line. Seems you missed the memo stating that this a High Performance 2.3 EB. If the RS was 350/350 then the Mustang HPP is more…!

And that is something to celebrate. The question is how much more..?

365/380.. <---??

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not going to waste anymore time here with you. As others said, you clearly dont seem to know anything about car drivetrain design, in fact youre clueless and the fact that you get angry and dismissive when people try to explain things to you really proves that you have no idea what youre talking about.

I trust the word of people that actually do know, such as Ford chief engineer, not some random guy on a forum who thinks he knows more than the people that actually made the car. Its open deck, it can not handle anymore meaningful power tuned vs a standard block. END OF STORY.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Im not going to waste anymore time here with you. As others said, you clearly dont seem to know anything about car drivetrain design, in fact youre clueless and the fact that you get angry and dismissive when people try to explain things to you really proves that you have no idea what youre talking about.

I trust the word of people that actually do know, such as Ford chief engineer, not some random guy on a forum who thinks he knows more than the people that actually made the car. Its open deck, it can not handle anymore meaningful power tuned vs a standard block. END OF STORY.
Watch out, he's gonna start commenting about how everyone here is laughing at you!

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
$43,500 MSRP...
I love the 2020 Eco.. I think it's incredible but Holy hell. I got a brand new 400a Roush Stage 2 A10 for $6k more.

They really should bump up the HP to about 400 (put the v6 eco in it) if they're going to ask that much for a eco.

Deleted member

I love the 2020 Eco.. I think it's incredible but Holy hell. I got a brand new 400a Roush Stage 2 A10 for $6k more.

They really should bump up the HP to about 400 (put the v6 eco in it) if they're going to ask that much for a eco.
Ford won't let the 5.0 be threatened by an ecoboost v6 no matter the size. Cause FBO on any of the v6's 2.7,3.0.3.5 will destroy a stock 5.0.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
40+k for an ecoboost. Wow.
I think we need to stop thinking of the EB as the “entry level” Mustang. We love our V8’s but they are not for everyone. Ford is reaching out to anyone interested in a Japanese, German, etc. turbo 4 cylinder. That’s a pretty big market. 350hp only seems inadequate to us. Compare a EBHPP equipped Mustang to a 430i. 248hp starting at $44,950.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford won't let the 5.0 be threatened by an ecoboost v6 no matter the size. Cause FBO on any of the v6's 2.7,3.0.3.5 will destroy a stock 5.0.
Sure until you throw bolt on's onto the GT. Audi does the exact same thing you reference. They allow an A4 for be as fast as a stock S4 with aftermarket tuning and bolt ons. Then they allow the S4 to be actually faster than a RS4 with tune, E85 and other bolt on's. It's great for the Audi aftermarket and used market. People buy those ugly cars up. The GT has a higher ceiling when you start adding in boost, for majority of the market and that's all that matters in the end
Sponsored