Sponsored

2019 Base GT350 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s in the Rain?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Pretty simple just read the owners supplements online and not read into what it says about tires on the 2015-2019. No matter what Michelin or any one else says even though they made the tire Ford is responsible for what it says in writing in the supplement.
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Pretty simple just read the owners supplements online and not read into what it says about tires on the 2015-2019. No matter what Michelin or any one else says even though they made the tire Ford is responsible for what it says in writing in the supplement.
From the 2019 GT350 supplement:

"Your vehicle is equipped with low profile, high performance tires that are designed to optimize the driving dynamics you expect in a Ford Performance vehicle. These tires are not optimized for off-road or winter (snow or cold weather) performance, and their ride, noise and wear characteristics are different than non-performance tires. Also, because of their lower profile, the tires are more susceptible to damage due to potholes and rough roads." It says nothing about cracking.

Also from the supplement:

"WARNING: Only replace the wheels and tires with the tire combinations that Ford has tested and approved for your particular vehicle. Variations in factors such as manufacturing tolerances mean that use of any other wheel and tire combinations, even with identical size ratings, may result in insufficient running clearances, tire rubbing, and eventually puncture. Loss of tire pressure could lead to loss of vehicle control, serious injury or death."

Ford does not offer or have 'approved' all season tires for the GT350. So, If you want to take these at face value, then don't drive the car in cold weather because if you change to a non approved tire, you will die. In reality, people don't listen to either and make their own choices based off their own opinions, knowledge, and experience.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
In reality, people don't listen to either and make their own choices based off their own opinions, knowledge, and experience.
True, but many people think an off the shelf 305/325 Cup 2 will be faster, or last longer than the bespoke GT350R's 305/315 Cup 2 because it's bigger. It does not. The compounding is nowhere near the same, nor is the construction optimized for the GT350.

You're not going to die by putting PS4S tires on your GT350 or R. But it will not perform or handle as well on track, or in the dry. Just like taking carbon wheels off a GT350R, changing tires from the bespoke designed tires FOR the car, in some ways, it's no longer a GT350R, but rather a (likely) worse performing modified car to your tastes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with customizing cars to the owner's personal tastes. The Mustang is one of the best platforms for this. There's also nothing wrong with putting a more daily-driveable PS4S on a GT350R that's only street driven. But it's arguably no longer a 'true' R.

I just hate seeing people take their carbon wheels off their Rs. It's an amazing technology that only 2 Mustangs, a Ford GT, a Ferrari, and a Renault have at this point in time. It's a shame that some early adopters don't know what they have.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I’m asking about tires of the same brand and comparing them. Your link literally says Treadwear ratings only make sense across the same brand.
Did you read the article?

"Since a lot is left open for interpretation and the only decently comparable data is from one tire to another within the same brand, this is also somewhat useless."

Sponsored

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
I have driven the Cup 2's in the worst rain I have seen on the Sea to Sky last October and they didn't skip a beat, they stuck really well on a monsoon covered twisty mountain road. It wasn't my choice but i was pleasantly surprised. We often run DOT slicks in the rain at the track until there is standing water and the tire compound really grips on a wet track. I chose to run Michelin rain tires as a daily driving tire, not the Cup 2's.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The same 305's that came on my PP2, and they are shaved. I am currently evaluating replacements but my replacement will be at least the Cup 2's XL, not the OEM Cup 2's.
The PP2 uses front GT350R Cup 2s all the way around. You're probably not going to find a faster Cup 2 for your wheel size short of the Z06's front tire, which may or may not be faster or work well on the Mustang.

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The PP2 uses front GT350R Cup 2s all the way around. You're probably not going to find a faster Cup 2 for your wheel size short of the Z06's front tire, which may or may not be faster or work well on the Mustang.
They are great at the track, but the XL has twice the tread depth and a stiffer sidewall. I have one more day at Area 27 next week and I think they will be done after that but we will see.

Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They are great at the track, but the XL has twice the tread depth and a stiffer sidewall. I have one more day at Area 27 next week and I think they will be done after that but we will see.
The added tread depth won't increase longevity if the tire is constantly driven at the limit. There are a lot of GT350R guys who try the Porsche tires and despite being wider, they are slower and don't last longer. The 'stiffer sidewall' is not designed for the loads of the Mustang and it wont be faster. If you are a beginner and don't drive the tire at the limit, you may get slightly longer life out of them on track. The only place they will probably make a notable improvement is longevity on the street.

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The added tread depth won't increase longevity if the tire is constantly driven at the limit. There are a lot of GT350R guys who try the Porsche tires and despite being wider, they are slower and don't last longer. The 'stiffer sidewall' is not designed for the loads of the Mustang and it wont be faster. If you are a beginner and don't drive the tire at the limit, you may get slightly longer life out of them on track. The only place they will probably make a notable improvement is longevity on the street.
A fellow forum member sent me a private message telling me who you are, pleased to meet you. I work for a Ford dealer and I test a lot of cars for Ford before the press get them. I am a track junkie and I moved over from primarily being a Porsche driver to a new PP2 owner (1 year). I have been really impressed with the car from day 1 and the Cup 2's are awesome but there are some tracks that eat them with a coarse surface and off camber turns. Other tracks, like Area 27 in Oliver BC hardly cause them any wear with their special surface and track layout. I am used to driving slicks or DOT slicks on the track and can never go back to street tires, so any advice you can pass on to us regarding the Cup 2's would be very welcome. A set of 305 19's costs about $3,200 here in Canada and it makes you look at what may have better value, not withstanding how good the Cup 2's are.

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
BillyJRacing,

Thanks for all your input! Really appreciated, especially for track noobs as myself. I do have a question in regards to my stock PSS.., I’ve tracked them in the rain at Big Willow. They slid around quite a lot...even the instructor was surprised how easily my tail gave out.

On the way home, on normal streets in the wet, it got even worse. Is this due to the “marbles” that are stuck on the surface slowly giving way? Are melted bits of tire that get stuck an issue?

Thank you!

PS, forgot to ask...after reading your explanation of the new cup 2s for the non-R....would it be suffice to say, that I should go for those as opposed to my current PSS, when comes time to replace my tires?

Reactions: TDC

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did you read the article?

"Since a lot is left open for interpretation and the only decently comparable data is from one tire to another within the same brand, this is also somewhat useless."
Decently comparable is still useful. Somewhat useless isn’t completely useless. Every tire distributor says comparable within same brand. Still doesn’t answer the question.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to address track vs street with the emphasis on street. On track you can let it all hang out. But street, one must learn to drive "Up out of the groove", away from the standing water, up by the yellow, or down by the white line to maintain speed until it "Pours down", at which point one must slow to 55 mph. It's free advise...
Sponsored