Sponsored

2019 Base GT350 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s in the Rain?

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
He ask if they have any temperature limitations.

You responded “no”.

This is incorrect information.
Someone's dense.

But you're right, he said "No", so im sure that means my tires will have a ton of grip on the Canadian ice roads. He only said they wouldn't be good in snow. He didn't say anything about ice :crackup:
Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Shhh getting stuck in a 1/32 inch of snow will be a good life lesson
My 99 Cobra got stuck in about that much snow, I swear, going down hill. I let the clutch out, opened the door and had to push t get it going. Fortunately at that point I was less than a mile to home.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Someone's dense.

But you're right, he said "No", so im sure that means my tires will have a ton of grip on the Canadian ice roads. He only said they wouldn't be good in snow. He didn't say anything about ice :crackup:
When someone that ask if a summer tire is ok to drive in the winter in Pennsylvania the answer is no. I am not even talking about snow. Just temperature. Summers are rock hard at 20 degrees and risk damaging the tire. The paraffins in the rubber start to unhook and break.

I don’t think any question is a bad question per say but, the person that ask that question doesn’t need a bunch of caveats.

This isn’t even my opinion. It’s Michelins instructions.

I am not trying to start shit it just a summer tire man. They idiot proofed this by naming the tire by season.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When someone that ask if a summer tire is ok to drive in the winter in Pennsylvania the answer is no. I am not even talking about snow. Just temperature. Summers are rock hard at 20 degrees and risk damaging the tire. The paraffins in the rubber start to unhook and break.

I don’t think any question is a bad question per say but, the person that ask that question doesn’t need a bunch of caveats.

You’re getting into douche territory. If a tire doesn’t crack in the cold, it can be driven on in the winter.

No one is claiming these are snow tires.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

I am not trying to start shit it just a summer tire man. They idiot proofed this by naming the tire by season.
I've had Super Sports over 4 winters on my daily driver and they never cracked despite being driven through the snow and on a car parked outside.

I have a friend in Philly and he has PS4S tires on his Mustang and he does not swap them out for "winter tires" either. If there's no snow on the ground, he drives it. If there's snow, he drives his truck.

I'm sure Michelin has some liability if they don't say that and some idiot gets on the throttle when leaving his house on cold tires and spins it. But if you feel more comfortable driving on snow tires, go for it. If you don't drive your Shelby any harder than you do a minivan, then leave them on all year.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
The owners supplement clearly states on the 2018 on back with the factory super sports (not the cup 2's) only that since its a summer tire theirs a safety issue if using them in the winter. Nothing about they could crack or anything. If they did then regardless of what Michelin tells you Ford would be liable if they did since its in writing. A lot of people drive there car with them on in winter when pavement is dry and don't have heated garages including me on both the 16 and 17 I had. Tires never showed any damage. Now the owners manual clearly states the cup 2's is a different matter. If they get colder then 45 degrees they can crack driven or not. This subject comes up every fall. If you don't have cup 2's and factory super sports just be careful in winter and don't think they are a snow tire and you will be fine. Never heard of any factory super sports (not cup 2's) cracking.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've had Super Sports over 4 winters on my daily driver and they never cracked despite being driven through the snow and on a car parked outside.

I have a friend in Philly and he has PS4S tires on his Mustang and he does not swap them out for "winter tires" either. If there's no snow on the ground, he drives it. If there's snow, he drives his truck.

I'm sure Michelin has some liability if they don't say that and some idiot gets on the throttle when leaving his house on cold tires and spins it. But if you feel more comfortable driving on snow tires, go for it. If you don't drive your Shelby any harder than you do a minivan, then leave them on all year.
I have lost the battle of reasoning. I get it. When people start arguing why the manufacture of a product made from rubber, designed for high temputures, says it bad to use in cold temperatures, I have lost.

I just don’t get it though. Buy a 60k car and refuse to pop another 2k on a set of A/s 3s and rims for the winter. It doesn’t even get that cold here and I change over just for treadwear alone.

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The owners supplement clearly states on the 2018 on back with the factory super sports (not the cup 2's) only that since its a summer tire theirs a safety issue if using them in the winter. Nothing about they could crack or anything. If they did then regardless of what Michelin tells you Ford would be liable if they did since its in writing. A lot of people drive there car with them on in winter when pavement is dry and don't have heated garages including me on both the 16 and 17 I had. Tires never showed any damage. Now the owners manual clearly states the cup 2's is a different matter. If they get colder then 45 degrees they can crack driven or not. This subject comes up every fall. If you don't have cup 2's and factory super sports just be careful in winter and don't think they are a snow tire and you will be fine. Never heard of any factory super sports (not cup 2's) cracking.
Is that for the 2019 base GT350 manual or from 2025-2018 manuals referring to the GT350R Cup 2?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what the 2019 manual says sorry only 2018 on back. I had a 16 and 17 and both manuals said the same thing and the 16 and 17 (not the R that comes with cup 2's) The 16-17-18 all came with the same tires. You can look the owners supplement manuals up online to see what I mean.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't know what the 2019 manual says sorry only 2018 on back. I had a 16 and 17 and both manuals said the same thing and the 16 and 17 (not the R that comes with cup 2's) The 16-17-18 all came with the same tires. You can look the owners supplement manuals up online to see what I mean.
The 2019 Cup 2 is a SuperSport replacement, so the 2015-2018 manual comments on the R's Cup 2 isn't relevant to the new 2019 GT350 Cup 2.

Sponsored

Vindic8ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Conner
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It's difficult to answer since everyone will have a different definition of "ok" in the rain. I've gotten caught in rain numerous times in my R cup 2's (which if I recall have even less tread depth than the standard GT350 Cup 2's), including torrential down pour a couple times. I would never advocate driving in the rain on them, but it is possible to get home safely. The thing is you can't drive on them like normal tires. They hydroplane constantly, and you learn to read the water on the road and counter-steer as you go over large puddles. The couple times I was on a highway in a heavy rain I had my hazard flashers on and was going 40mph in the slow lane. Again, not a situation you ever want to be in, but it is driveable. I wouldn't stress over immediately switching out the tires just so you can enjoy the car, but just be smart about checking the weather forecast before you leave and realizing that the farther away from home you'll be driving the farther you have to drive back if it rains. In my case I was driving my car 1600 miles home from the dealership, so I didn't have much of a choice.
What tires do you have on the R now? I was originally planning on just getting a GT350, but I found the deal on this R so I went with it. During my research period I thought the sport 4s would be a good tire to have. However, that tire doesn't seem to be available for the R (at least not on the 315s in the back). All of the sites I've looked at say that only the Cup 2s work on the R.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is correct. My understanding is there was some changes to the cup 2's that you can get only from factory on the 2019. The 2019 supplement only says not recommended using if below 45 degrees. Doesn't say any thing about if they will crack if left in cold 45 degrees or colder.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That is correct. My understanding is there was some changes to the cup 2's that you can get only from factory on the 2019. The 2019 supplement only says not recommended using if below 45 degrees. Doesn't say any thing about if they will crack if left in cold 45 degrees or colder.
Which 2019 Cup 2? The GT350 or the GT350R? I don't think they changed the R tire. You can buy both the R tire or the 2019 GT350 Cup 2 ("FP") on tire rack.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
John, from my understanding, they will crack in colder temps. At least other tires (Goodyears) on the GT500 models have cracked. I found that summer only tires start losing their adhesion capabilities when temps drop below 60 degrees. They are dangerous to drive in winter temps as they lose their ability to adhere to the pavement. I took mine off my 2019 GT350 at 1000 miles and replaced them with all season tires. Plus the OEM Cup 2's tramlined like a mother!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Wow, lots of experts in this thread. Not sure who to believe. Time to reveal credentials for the saftey of the reader. I know Billy's so the rest of you, please share
Sponsored