Sponsored

How to reduce too high Cylinder Head Temperature on race track?

audioslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hi guys,

sorry for my bad english, as I'm from Germany.
I'm riding my 2018 EU GT MT on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and sometimes it's overheating in only one lap.
I don't can see the oil temperature, but I can see it in the cylinder head temperature. Once it reachs 120°C (248°F) it will reduce the power and the rpm.

This could have been sub 8 min btg without the reduce power at the end because 120°C CHT.

I have my workshop installed an aftermarket oil cooler, it sits behind the water coolant at the higher front grill. effect: Zero. Really disapointing. So maybe the oilcooler doesn't really reduce the CHT? Or is it just not right mounted as it has no case with leads direct air into it? I have seen a aftermarket oil cooler behind the lower grill with a case which leads the air into the oil cooler, this seems to be better. Unfortunately my workshop decide not to do it this way.

Now I will order a 170° Reische thermostat.
Any tipps? I am hoping, I can let it as stock as possible. So I don't want to delete the stock grill. At least the higher grill with the pony badge. :-)
The car is almost daily driven, so I can't change the coolant etc.

regards
Philipp
Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Performance Pack radiator is where I'd start.

edit - never mind, you already got it.

Last edited:

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
You could drain out some coolant and just add distilled water back in. Just make sure to do a 50\50 flush before winter.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Water/Meth injection.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
EU cars already have the PP hardware.

OP,
I would look into getting air out from under hood. There are several ways to do this. You can modify the cowl tray to allow pressure and air to escape. Fuel consumption on the highway will go up but your cooling will improve. You can install hood vents. A 170 deg thermostat will help a little. The other thing: I would strongly recommend taking the car in to ensure that there is not excess air in the cooling system, and that your CHT issue is not due to air pockets in the jackets/head.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
No helmet for you or the girl (friend/wife?)...purse in the footwell...the dice...I would strongly recommend reassessing safety before going back out. Not that I have to comment on this (you know better than I) but that track is no joke and you're carrying some serious speed.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One small thing, from the video it looks like your air conditioning is on during that lap. I don't know if that might affect your max cooling capacity, but it might. At a certain throttle position, the AC is probably disabled automatically.

If you were really hardcore you could try to run the heater full blast during the lap, but you'd probably soak the seat in a pool of sweat...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower

edit - never mind, you already got it.
Does he?
Turn off your ac?
Bigger radiator and your planned thermostat

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
PP1 is a good start. Add diff cooler. That is my dream track to run on some day!!! Bucket list.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
EU cars already have the PP hardware.

OP,
I would look into getting air out from under hood. There are several ways to do this. You can modify the cowl tray to allow pressure and air to escape. Fuel consumption on the highway will go up but your cooling will improve. You can install hood vents. A 170 deg thermostat will help a little. The other thing: I would strongly recommend taking the car in to ensure that there is not excess air in the cooling system, and that your CHT issue is not due to air pockets in the jackets/head.
Besides hood vents themselves mustang hood has air escapes on both sides/corners next to the windshield. Right where underhood rubber ends. Those are primarily for water draining.

Unless this is common I'd check if this car hss any cooling issues...

p.s. this is 18+ euro. do they get pp radiator?

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Do Euro spec PP1’s Omit the center dash gauges?
Op your going at it hard... bigger balls than me. Love the dice!!
Good ad for the gt premium option that comes with the lower center console padding .....

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If I wanted to track it regularly, I would start with a 100% Aluminum radiator...not the Ford PP radiator, since it has pressed on plastic parts. I would get something like the CASF, Mishimoto, or the Fluidyne.

Then, go with a high heat transfer additive, like Water Wetter in your coolant.

The third, some guys install Killer Chillers on their intakes to decrease air intake temps for boosted engines.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hi guys,

sorry for my bad english, as I'm from Germany.
I'm riding my 2018 EU GT MT on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and sometimes it's overheating in only one lap.
I don't can see the oil temperature, but I can see it in the cylinder head temperature. Once it reachs 120°C (248°F) it will reduce the power and the rpm.

This could have been sub 8 min btg without the reduce power at the end because 120°C CHT.

I have my workshop installed an aftermarket oil cooler, it sits behind the water coolant at the higher front grill. effect: Zero. Really disapointing. So maybe the oilcooler doesn't really reduce the CHT? Or is it just not right mounted as it has no case with leads direct air into it? I have seen a aftermarket oil cooler behind the lower grill with a case which leads the air into the oil cooler, this seems to be better. Unfortunately my workshop decide not to do it this way.

Now I will order a 170° Reische thermostat.
Any tipps? I am hoping, I can let it as stock as possible. So I don't want to delete the stock grill. At least the higher grill with the pony badge. :-)
The car is almost daily driven, so I can't change the coolant etc.

regards
Philipp
Have you tried a larger radiator? And you can try adding an electric fan to the oil cooler. But I would expect the larger radiator to have a bigger impact...
Sponsored