Sponsored

2018 MUSTANG GT RECOMMENDED OIL IN AUSTRALIA

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I had my first annual service done this week at the dealer and supplied my own Royal Purple 5w-30 oil. They made sure to note on the service report that "the customer supplied own oil 5w-30" and that they "have advised customer Ford spec grade oil is 0W-20".

Their notation is not quite correct in that they actually told me that 5W-30 was for the Ecoboost and 5W-20 was for the GT.
This 0W-20 is new to me. Has anyone else come across this.
What does the service manual say? If it's not 0W-20 I would be bringing it their attention and having that amended on the record.
Sponsored

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 21 MACH 1
Hell yeah, what clowns. Mine provides 5W-30.
That is my point: Both Australia and Brazil are located in the south hemisphere and have similar climate.
In our owner's book it says 5W20 and I think someone just translated it from the original to our portuguese language using
CONTROL C + CONTROL V, regardless of our temperatures.
In the Caribbean they also use 5W30.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I had my first annual service done this week at the dealer and supplied my own Royal Purple 5w-30 oil. They made sure to note on the service report that "the customer supplied own oil 5w-30" and that they "have advised customer Ford spec grade oil is 0W-20".

Their notation is not quite correct in that they actually told me that 5W-30 was for the Ecoboost and 5W-20 was for the GT.
This 0W-20 is new to me. Has anyone else come across this.
I've had the dealer use Royal Purple 5w-30 at each service and the only note on my paperwork is a credit for bringing my own oil. I have gone the HPS range since the mods to my Ecoboost and have had no visible oil consumption, on which to use the remainder of the 5ltr pack the dealer left in the boot.

Reactions: PKs

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think everything is reverse on the Southern side.

If that’s the case you should be running 30w-5

Sponsored

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
I'm in a hot climate all year around. Our 5.0s runs really hot! Just push it for a couple of minutes and the oil goes to 240F.
20w oil is mainly for fuel economy....perf pack 2014 GTs required 20w50! same engine basically....
I personally used in my '16 and '18 10w40 full synthetic.... Also I see a better oil pressure when hot. ( i have the 350gt gauge pack, with oil press instead of vaccum)

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
What does the service manual say? If it's not 0W-20 I would be bringing it their attention and having that amended on the record.
For now I have made an inquiry with Ford Australia to get the official recommendation. If it turns out that the dealer is wrong I will pay their manager a visit. I am a bit over the service department's unsupportive attitude to any concern with my car that I let them know about. Trouble is there is only one dealer in Gold Coast.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
For now I have made an inquiry with Ford Australia to get the official recommendation. If it turns out that the dealer is wrong I will pay their manager a visit. I am a bit over the service department's unsupportive attitude to any concern with my car that I let them know about. Trouble is there is only one dealer in Gold Coast.
Feel your pain mate, this is why I drive 300 km to get mine done in NSW. Wasting the time it takes to deal with the locals and negotiate their nonsense makes a day trip to a dealer who's on top of their game look good.

Keen to know the response from Ford. I'd have thought the manual IS the official recommendation, which makes old mate's position very strange. Pending Ford's response I wonder if the dealer would annotate your service records with 'dealer provided incorrect oil as confirmed by Ford Australia'.

Disappointing that it needs to come to this to get a dealership to put the right oil in a 70k car.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
10 qts amsoil signature series 5w30 and 2 bottles of ceratec IMO, with amsoil eao17 filter

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Feel your pain mate, this is why I drive 300 km to get mine done in NSW. Wasting the time it takes to deal with the locals and negotiate their nonsense makes a day trip to a dealer who's on top of their game look good.

Keen to know the response from Ford. I'd have thought the manual IS the official recommendation, which makes old mate's position very strange. Pending Ford's response I wonder if the dealer would annotate your service records with 'dealer provided incorrect oil as confirmed by Ford Australia'.

Disappointing that it needs to come to this to get a dealership to put the right oil in a 70k car.
Well, Ford Australia confirmed for me that the 5W-30 is the correct oil for the car. So with a screen print of that advice as well as my copy of the servicing and warranty book that comes with the car I paid the service manager a visit. Well he was very receptive and did not try to cover up their incompetence. The guy on the service desk that was one of the ones giving me grief over my apparent insistence on using the "wrong" oil finally listened to me when we were all in the manager's office. He brought up the matter that the cap on the engine oil filler has 5W-20 on it but I advised that is the US specification and the cap wasn't amended for Australian Mustangs.
I also vented over a few other matters that I was cheesed off about with their service department. Each time that it has been in their "care" an engine clip or nut has been lost and replaced with a non oem fitting. The latest was a battery cover plastic screw that I have pulled off and on numerous times but their mechanic managed to lose one and then had the nerve to replace it with something else that was smaller than cover hole and so did not even work. I brought it to the managers attention that one of my carpet mats had been burnt by probably a soldering iron but it took me to see the 50mm x 7mm hole that would have been obvious to the mechanic responsible. To top it off my service book had not stamped and filled in after my 15,000 service.
I left the place with the service manager calling for a workshop meeting for this afternoon. He was taking the fake battery cover screw with him.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks for the update Peter. They have some work to do, those issues indicate that the workshop culture is extremely poor. Sadly it also looks like the service manager isn't on top of things either and takes the 'no news is good news' approach which essentially means he's outsourced their QC to switched on customers. I wonder how many Mustangs get serviced there and how long it's taken for someone to bring the oil issue to their attention...and if they'll contact other owners to offer them an oil change particularly as we head towards summer :question:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Just received this from Ford today,updated service guide,anyone else get one.
IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2349.JPG
Got mine yesterday as well Troy. Ford suggested at next service get the dealer to rewrite existing services in the new book and have it stamped. And then throw the old one.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Got mine yesterday as well Troy. Ford suggested at next service get the dealer to rewrite existing services in the new book and have it stamped. And then throw the old one.
Ah ok, i will do peter,due for sevice in november.
Sponsored

Last edited: