Sponsored

2019 GT350R - tramlining , any suggestions?

mzangari1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
About two months into ownership of my GT350R- I love everything about this car accept the tramlining so seeking thoughts and suggestions on adjustments / mods ? I’d prefer not to change tires , and if this is just a deal with it track car experience then that’ll be my plan. Thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!
Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
About two months into ownership of my GT350R- I love everything about this car accept the tramlining so seeking thoughts and suggestions on adjustments / mods ? I’d prefer not to change tires , and if this is just a deal with it track car experience then that’ll be my plan. Thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!
I experienced the same problem with my 2019 GT350. It also had the Cup 2's as OEM. I really wasn't enamored with the substantial steering input resistance and directional seeking over every little irregularity on the roads in my area. Just not a pleasant experience. As I drive my car in the winter when the roads are clear and salt free, I needed an all season tire as the Cup 2's are summer only tires. I put on Michelin PS A/S 3's about a couple weeks ago and wala..no tramlining! Fronts: 275/40/19. Rears: 285/40/19. The steering improved and did not require as much physical input to change direction! I also understand, from reading the supplemental owner's manual for the GT350, that the GT350R and GT350 have different alignment settings depending on what you require. There are spec's for street and track and I'm not sure what settings the factory sets for these cars. If yours is set-up for "track" then that may be a contributing factor to the tramlining. The alignment spec's are in the supplement. (page 37/38). Suggest having the dealer check the front and rear alignment and see what settings are on your vehicle. If it's set for "track" then it can be adjusted for "Street" spec's. That might help, otherwise the width (295) and construction of these Cup 2's are the contributing factors to tramlining on anything other than a smooth surfaced track.

OP
OP
mzangari1234

mzangari1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
I experienced the same problem with my 2019 GT350. It also had the Cup 2's as OEM. I really wasn't enamored with the substantial steering input resistance and directional seeking over every little irregularity on the roads in my area. Just not a pleasant experience. As I drive my car in the winter when the roads are clear and salt free, I needed an all season tire as the Cup 2's are summer only tires. I put on Michelin PS A/S 3's about a couple weeks ago and wala..no tramlining! Fronts: 275/40/19. Rears: 285/40/19. The steering improved and did not require as much physical input to change direction! I also understand, from reading the supplemental owner's manual for the GT350, that the GT350R and GT350 have different alignment settings depending on what you require. There are spec's for street and track and I'm not sure what settings the factory sets for these cars. If yours is set-up for "track" then that may be a contributing factor to the tramlining. The alignment spec's are in the supplement. (page 37/38). Suggest having the dealer check the front and rear alignment and see what settings are on your vehicle. If it's set for "track" then it can be adjusted for "Street" spec's. That might help, otherwise the width (295) and construction of these Cup 2's are the contributing factors to tramlining on anything other than a smooth surfaced track.
Thank you 03reptile - I will have my mechanic look at the alignment settings in the next few weeks.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
2017 with MPSS. They also tram line like a mofo. I run the pressure up to 39 all around when street driving and it helps a ton.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I have seen various beliefs on this and for the longest just thought it was a characteristic of a wider tire in general(my jeep did it worse with a 13.50 width). However, my ZLE does not tramline anything like my350 and those tires are even wider...so there goes that.

Hopefully a certain alignment spec from a member in the know will help ya out, but the 350 was a two hands on the wheel at all times car for me.

OP
OP
mzangari1234

mzangari1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
I have seen various beliefs on this and for the longest just thought it was a characteristic of a wider tire in general(my jeep did it worse with a 13.50 width). However, my ZLE does not tramline anything like my350 and those tires are even wider...so there goes that.

Hopefully a certain alignment spec from a member in the know will help ya out, but the 350 was a two hands on the wheel at all times car for me.
Hmmmm

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yea, I agree width alone is not a/the factor. I know OP said not interested in changing tires, but my swap to the Conti Extreme Contact Sport literally eliminated mine. And this is with zero other mods; no front end alignment, nada. And I also went wider. Went from the stock 295/35 to a 305/30. Tramlining gone!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Tires that are 12" wide and some of the stickiest compounds on the planet with that type of tread design. You're gonna have some tramlining. The Steeda brace helps, and get some camber in there too. But you're never going to get rid of it completely.

Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I know I would be compromising optimum performance, but I too am considering swapping tires and keeping the SC2s for track use. I am curious as to other behavior differences with the PS. Do you find them smoother, less noise, change in mpgs?

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks for this.

Just want to make sure you’re certain on the tire sizes? I put them into tire rack to check prices and got nada. Maybe they don’t carry them, idk.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Of the 5 sets of tires I’ve run on my GT350, both Michelin tires tram-lined with the MPSS’s doing it for the first 1000 miles or so and the PSC2’s doing it all the time. PSC2’s the worst by far. When they were new they were the crazy bad and got a little better after my first track day session on them.

NONE of the other 3 tire sets listed below with similar alignments and tire pressures tram-lined
RE71R
RE11
Nitro NT01

No mods to my car besides Ford Performance Springs from and rear and BMR front camber bolts. 2.5 deg front camber and about 1.8 rear camber. Forgot what the front toe is set at but is toe’d in for sure.
Sponsored