Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I think what is missing from the GT500 discussion is it's 70mph ~ 140mph time. Or how hard the GT500 accelerates while in motion.

The ability to rip the rear loose at highway speeds, is all that needs to be told...!
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I don’t recall having an argument? I also don’t recall ever saying the Shelby’s weren’t more desirable than a Camaro. I simply stated a track car should be track capable. Ford stated the GT350 was the most track capable mustang ever built. They didn’t put a disclaimer on it. (Only if you buy the track pack) When they released it. So In short. If GM can build a fully track capable base car on the first try. Then I see no reason why Ford couldn’t also do it? Weird concept huh?
LMAO..

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
The problem is they're tacking on $30k to the price of an (already expensive) GT350R and didn't make a single effort to make the car any lighter. Lazy engineering
Maybe you could work out this problem for me.
If I get a GT350R and then tried to extract more power out of it without adding weight, how will I do that?
The target is over 700hp. It has to also comply with all government legislation and must not void the warranty.
It must run repeated laps without any noticeable reduction in performance apart from tyre wear.
It must drive relatively comfortably on the road, like a good grand tourer does.

Can you do all that for $30k and honor the warranty as well as comply with all government regulations? And just to make it easy for you, you have to keep it under 4100lbs.

If I challenged the very best aftermarket houses to do this I'd be told to just go away, but I'm sure you could easily do it.

/

This is a brilliant car. I'm still puzzled at how some guys scoff at 760hp with a DCT so easily. The additional weight you see is perfectly normal when considering this is a relatively affordable and reliable 760hp vehicle.Of course, there are cars with that much power and weigh much less but how much do they cost? Oh, there's the ZR1 at $120k. That's the cheapest you'll find. Keep looking and find me something cheaper that weighs the same or less.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
All of this bitching about weight, and people seem to be forgetting what really matters.

1. Is the GT500 faster in the ¼ mile and around a track (by significant margin) than the Zl1?
If the answer to this questions is yes, then it’s a success.

1. Is the GT500 carbon package faster around the track than the Zl1 1LE?
Again, if yes…success.

The weight is only a number people. Stop acting like the car will be a failure if it fails to be under 4000 lbs.

One more thing to consider. The Zl1 1LE has a race suspension and rides like absolute dog shit anywhere except for the track. Both GT500 options are going to be far superior in drivability than the ZL1 1LE.

We already know the GT500 will be faster in the ¼ mile than the ZL1. We also know it will likely have a far superior 0-100-0 performance. Does anyone have any idea what kind of advantage you have when you are able to break later into a corner on the track?
I for one have not driven the ZLE but you say it rides like "dog shit". But the Ford GT has the same DSSV technology. I would guess it does not ride like dog shit. The ZLE with the A10 against the GT500 will have its hands full to be sure.

I was reading the specs for both cars and it says that the 500 does not get its full 760hp until 7300rpm. But the ZL1 gets 650 at 6400. Almost a 1k sooner. So the 500 may have the same HP at 6500rpm. In that case they should equal.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I for one have not driven the ZLE but you say it rides like "dog shit". But the Ford GT has the same DSSV technology. I would guess it does not ride like dog shit. The ZLE with the A10 against the GT500 will have its hands full to be sure.

I was reading the specs for both cars and it says that the 500 does not get its full 760hp until 7300rpm. But the ZL1 gets 650 at 6400. Almost a 1k sooner. So the 500 may have the same HP at 6500rpm. In that case they should equal.
The ZL1 1LE uses solid bushings and a light weight multimatic shock setup. They don't use the same technology.

I'm not convinced the A10 is going to be much faster than the M6. It wasn't with the base ZL1.

In regards to the horsepower, the horsepower and torque curve of the GT500 are MASSIVE. 90% of it's torque is available from 3450 rpm thru redline.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/15/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-4225-pounds-order-guide/

It produces a minimum of 531 horsepower from 3000 rpm to 7500 rpm.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-8-engine-facts/

Your comparison of rpm to rpm is a bad one. Vehicles have gears for a reason. The ZL1 is going to be quite a bit slower than the GT500.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Only issue with that is that a good chunk of the pay comes from bonuses and RSU vestments. But if you can live and save on the base salary (which is still decent), you can treat the rest as play/early retirement money.
It __really__ depends on how you engage in business in the tech space, and/or specific position, location, skills, industry, etc. Sure, there are some salaries in that range that are partially comp'ed per your post, and at the salaries suggested (by the previous poster), you're not just some production developer, that's into speciality, multi-discipline, architect salary ranges (outside of a few nutty, over-funded startups :D).

Gearing. Power under the curve.

[edit]

Oops, kind of duped the previous response ... though it's worth saying __twice__.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Yes the GT500 is heavy. I agree. But, the current gen ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are ALSO PIGGISH! The ZL1 Camaro with automatic is 4,120. The GT500 is 100 lbs more. Not really that much different. If you think the Camaro is svelte or a good weight - admit that the GT500 weight is very similar. Try to not show so much bias in your posts!

I bought a 3,100 pound car because I wanted a lighter car. You should admit that Camaro and Mustang are so close in weight they are virtually the same. There's no significant difference in weight like you are saying.
Actually, the ZL1 A10 is 3944

upload_2019-8-15_19-43-44.png

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I dont think Ford has hit a weight target with the S550 yet. Remember the 15 GT was supposed to be lighter than the S197?
The IRS made the 15 GT heavier. That live axle is simple, strong and lightweight. That is why the 1/4 guys like them better.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

Now comparing zl1 to a Ford GT? Dont you feel thats reaching? I expect an unobtainable race car to have stiff suspension and not road friendly for the 500 miles a year it sees, a daily driver, id expect much more road etiquette.

Rpms win races, it cannot be said enough. 7500rpm AND more power, so it has the topend covered easily, DCT and tight gears for low end, covered that as well

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
My personal .02 is that the GT500 weight doesn't bother me. It's all about the real world results when they start coming in for lap times and 1/4 mile times. That will determine whether it's a success or not. We can all make a guess and speculate but it means nothing. Just wasted energy and emotions.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Holy heavy pig this and that. Betcha at the ring it's be on rails. Tight suspension. Big sticky tires. I ain't worried.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The ZL1 1LE uses solid bushings and a light weight multimatic shock setup. They don't use the same technology.

I'm not convinced the A10 is going to be much faster than the M6. It wasn't with the base ZL1.

In regards to the horsepower, the horsepower and torque curve of the GT500 are MASSIVE. 90% of it's torque is available from 3450 rpm thru redline.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/15/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-4225-pounds-order-guide/

It produces a minimum of 531 horsepower from 3000 rpm to 7500 rpm.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-8-engine-facts/

Your comparison of rpm to rpm is a bad one. Vehicles have gears for a reason. The ZL1 is going to be quite a bit slower than the GT500.
My RPM comparison is correctly stated.

The ZL1 has all of its 650tq at 3600rpm. the 500 gets 90% of 625 which is what? Way less than 650.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Now comparing zl1 to a Ford GT? Dont you feel thats reaching? I expect an unobtainable race car to have stiff suspension and not road friendly for the 500 miles a year it sees, a daily driver, id expect much more road etiquette.

Rpms win races, it cannot be said enough. 7500rpm AND more power, so it has the topend covered easily, DCT and tight gears for low end, covered that as well
Yeah, I missed the switch to Ford GT. Too late to edit my post, the damage is done.

With that said, the Ford GT has a dampers designed for the suspension. The ZL1 1LE slapped on a lightweight dampers in order to get better track times. Big difference.

More on how the GT can do this here...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...at-gives-the-ford-gt-two-suspensions-at-once/

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
My RPM comparison is correctly stated.

The ZL1 has all of its 650tq at 3600rpm. the 500 gets 90% of 625 which is what? Way less than 650.
And it's completely ignorant of gearing and area under the curve....the two things that really matter.
Sponsored