Some observations fighting IAT's with JLT CAI

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Good work, but you’d be surprised how much air-gap there is in the bit you missed.
See pic for how to rectify if you’re interested.
BFD85E19-9849-4F8F-A96D-6F20D50DF4EF.jpeg
Umm, I have plenty of left over. Guess I can cut a small piece and make it sit in that spot.
Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
this is a good idea ... What if stock 18 box gets wrapped for colder iat?
I just put some DEI gold tape on the bottom of my stock 2018 air box. I 'wrapped' the bottom, the side(toward the radiator/engine), and the back with it. I did not put any on the top of it.. didn't have enough and figured that heat rises so didn't think it would make that much of a difference..(putting it on the top). I also like the fact that you cannot really see the tape with it on the bottom/side/back.

I drove it for about 20 mins with some red lights and a couple miles on the interstate. It looks to be about 5-7 degrees colder(conservatively) than what it was (for the little I drove it). At a steady state it seems to be giving about 6 degrees colder, and seem to be a little slower to move up at a red light.

FYI: for some reason my car before was running 14-17 degrees warmer at a 'steady state' of speed(much higher than what many of you are seeing with your cars it seems). Today it was 82-84 degrees and it was running 90-91 degrees at a steady state of speed.

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
So just finished a track day at COTA. Outside temps were 98-100* with track temps in the 115*+. Sitting on the grid for 10 minutes in that heat IATs sat 128-130*. Not bad IMO. As it stands right now, it looks to be fairly effective at keeping temps at bay and happy with the results.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Good work, but you’d be surprised how much air-gap there is in the bit you missed.
See pic for how to rectify if you’re interested.
BFD85E19-9849-4F8F-A96D-6F20D50DF4EF.jpeg
Nice find, I also have some left over and I'm going to get that sealed asap. Thanks!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So just finished a track day at COTA. Outside temps were 98-100* with track temps in the 115*+. Sitting on the grid for 10 minutes in that heat IATs sat 128-130*. Not bad IMO. As it stands right now, it looks to be fairly effective at keeping temps at bay and happy with the results.
I wanted to do that track day but I don't feel like I'm "ready" for it yet. I bet it was a blast.

The fans can also lower the IAT's as well when idling. I've seen that happen before when I was in a drive thru with mine. Unexpected benefit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to do that track day but I don't feel like I'm "ready" for it yet. I bet it was a blast.

The fans can also lower the IAT's as well when idling. I've seen that happen before when I was in a drive thru with mine. Unexpected benefit.

At this point I would say there would be no reason to worry about being ready or not. There's a whole range of skill levels out there, but the biggest thing is to just get out there period and gain the experience. Every car has an instructor (till you get solo qualified), and safety is their main priority. My first track day was at MSR-Houston with Driven Blessed group and they were the same way. Reason I've been more keen on the Edge Addicts group is because COTA is local so makes it easy. There's an even coming up Oct. 20th at COTA I would say go for it. That's my next event.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Remember that with an open element air filter, you want to make sure to allow free flow of air coming in all around it. So it isn't a matter of closing everything off, it is also about making sure there is enough surface area in the box that is open for air to flow in without restriction. That piece of foam on top of the tube is probably the low hanging fruit in regard to keeping heat out. You should see a definite decrease in IAT with just doing that. I am skeptical of doing a wrap on the intake tube, since air is constantly moving through there and not sitting around waiting to heat up. It does look kinda cool and NASA-ish. Maybe shielding the MAF would help? I've explained my mods in several other threads if you want to search for details on what I have done and results I've seen.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
When are people going to acknowledge that they are better off keeping the stock airbox on the car as a CAI is simply not worth it? Focus on other modifications rather than replacing this singular item.

Maybe take driving lessons and become a better driver before worrying about a mod that is terribly inefficient in terms of $/hp.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
When are people going to acknowledge that they are better off keeping the stock airbox on the car as a CAI is simply not worth it? Focus on other modifications rather than replacing this singular item.

Maybe take driving lessons and become a better driver before worrying about a mod that is terribly inefficient in terms of $/hp.
That is probably true if someone simply slaps on a new intake without anything else, however the power pack 2 for 15-17 GT's can be had for about $600 and certainly makes a difference in the car.

Is it really that bad for our IAT's to approach 160ish when sitting in hot summer traffic? I understand it might result in reduced performance, etc., but is it actually damaging to the engine? I didn't think it was, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I (happily) have the PP2 on my car and would like to know if I should also be making an effort to drop IAT's specifically during the summer work commute, when i can see IAT's near 160 occasionally.

Thanks

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Was 115 here in Phx the other day. Stock box IATS around 121 sitting at red lights and in traffic. "Cools" right off when moving. CHT in that similar 196-204 range. That's just on flex fuel not even full e85 (damn AZ). E + stock box is a winning combo in hot conditions imo.
Excellent. That stock 18 intake is pretty darn good.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I recently switched to JLT CAI with the Dry filter option and also noticed the large increase in IAT's when sitting in traffic over my stock 2019 CAI with AEM dry filter. I took a few ideas from this thread and did some testing yesterday and it got my IAT's under control and very close if not the same as the stock setup. I first used the 1/2 rubber piping insulation around the entire top perimeter of the JLT box, including along the box where it meets the fender where there is a large gap. Then I took a piece of Reflectix HVAC duct wrapping and cut it exactly to fill the entire top of the open box and left no open gaps. The only downside so far, its ugly as hell but who cares. I don't sit around with my hood open so nobody knows and its all easily removable/replaceable.

I think over the winter I am just going to take the JLT box out of the car and make a custom, sealed fit and removable top for it.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
When are people going to acknowledge that they are better off keeping the stock airbox on the car as a CAI is simply not worth it?
The elephant in the room, and what prevents peeps from acknowledging the stock airbox is superior when it comes to keeping the air temps down, is the fact that most people buy an aftermarket CAI for how it LOOKS with the hood open. People want the "wow factor" of a dyno-queen CAI when they open the hood. If people made the decision to buy an aftermarket CAI system based on flow and air temps, the aftermarket companies would be out of business in short order.

Yes, I have the FORD GT350 CAI, but I only have it because I found it on eGay for $100 plus shipping and the fact that it was engineered by a multi-billion dollar company for a high-performance variant of the S550. Had I not found it, I would be rocking a factory stock '18 or '19 GT CAI plus a high-flow filter with a custom tune as I feel that CAI is probably about the best CAI you can find?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The elephant in the room, and what prevents peeps from acknowledging the stock airbox is superior when it comes to keeping the air temps down, is the fact that most people buy an aftermarket CAI for how it LOOKS with the hood open. People want the "wow factor" of a dyno-queen CAI when they open the hood. If people made the decision to buy an aftermarket CAI system based on flow and air temps, the aftermarket companies would be out of business in short order.

Yes, I have the FORD GT350 CAI, but I only have it because I found it on eGay for $100 plus shipping and the fact that it was engineered by a multi-billion dollar company for a high-performance variant of the S550. Had I not found it, I would be rocking a factory stock '18 or '19 GT CAI plus a high-flow filter with a custom tune as I feel that CAI is probably about the best CAI you can find?
Or Roush '18 box (closed box, w/ 105 mm MAF vs the 2018 at 98 mm)...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Application people. It depends on what CAI you choose as to whether it is right for your application. Also, in my recent testing with 3 different intakes (cp-e, JLT and Roush 18) I have discovered a prime factor in this IAT quest.

The Roush 18 CAI (closed box) - I can sit there idling and the IAT will barely rise, UNTIL the fans kick on. Then it's a different ball game. Seems to me a pretty good indicator that backwash from radiator is being thrust into the airpath thus making the IAT rise quickly. I sat there and watched the IAT as I slowly let the car heat up - it would barely change. Soon as the fans kick out, sharp rise like a switch. I bet if I had the Velossa Tech Big Mouth which is designed to help prevent this issue, there'd be no more need for any of this talk.

In fact, with my testing with the JLT, I don't even think the open box makes that much of a difference in the rising IAT and it some cases it may help a little bit if you're getting radiator backwash in there. With a closed box it almost traps that heat. The closed box does make a difference but I think the radiator backwash is more of a factor.

I have a feeling that a closed box CAI coupled with the Velossa Tech Big Mouth would be a great setup, possibly with IAT lower than stock. If true, it would be unbeatable and put all the negative talk to bed. Still need to test this theory but preliminary feedback from others re: the Velossa Tech makes me think it's a likely result.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling that a closed box CAI coupled with the Velossa Tech Big Mouth would be a great setup, possibly with IAT lower than stock. If true, it would be unbeatable and put all the negative talk to bed. Still need to test this theory but preliminary feedback from others re: the Velossa Tech makes me think it's a likely result.
That is exactly what I am getting next, the Velossa Tech Big Mouth. I already have Cervinis upper/lower grilles so I have plenty of air flow into the inlet. I just need something to stop radiator backwash. Just wish I knew about it before I installed the grilles because I will have to pull the bumper again.
Sponsored