Sponsored

Official 2020 GT350R Changes: New Colors and GT500 Suspension + Steering

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...y-gt350r-picks-up-new-chassis-technology.html

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 12, 2019 – As the greatest-ever Mustang performance lineup hits the streets, the 2020 Mustang Shelby GT350R picks up new performance tech and colors from its stablemates to make it more fun to drive on the track and off.

Enhancing handling and steering responsiveness, Shelby GT350R refinements for 2020 include redesigned front suspension geometry with a redesigned high-trail steering knuckle leveraged from the all-new Shelby GT500. To elevate driver confidence and steering precision, a new steering rack and recalibrated electric power steering control is also added.

“It’s always been our plan to take the latest innovations from the GT500 program and strategically apply them across the Mustang lineup,” said Ed Krenz, Ford Performance chief program engineer. “These latest updates to the GT350R keep its performance competitive and on the top if its game, whether that’s on the track or on the street.”

GT350R continues to also deliver against aggressive targets for weight reduction with a rear seat delete and carbon fiber wheels. Exhaust resonators also have been removed for weight savings with the benefit of creating a sharper exhaust tone.

For customers seeking more comfort in their Shelby GT350R, Ford offers an available Technology Package with a 12-speaker B&O premium sound system, Blind Spot Information System with Cross-Traffic Alert, Cobra Puddle Lamps and voice-activated navigation.

Also standard are carbon fiber wheels, larger front splitter and rear wing.

Standing apart from GT350, GT350R features distinct design details. Exterior touches include red painted brake calipers, red pin striping at the edges of the optional over-the-top racing stripes and Shelby GT350R badging. Inside is high-contrast red stitching, Shelby GT350R badging and the D-shaped steering wheel fitted with a red center mark at the top.

Shelby GT350
2020 Shelby GT350 carries over previous updates, including the latest advances in tire, aerodynamics and chassis technology. GT350 shares some new Mustang colors and new driver technologies. Grabber Lime and Twister Orange are two bright, new heritage feature colors that trace back to the 1970s, while new Iconic Silver and Red Hot Metallic provide some classic hues to the lineup.

FordPass Connect™, now standard on Mustang for 2020, allows owners to interact with their vehicles via a smartphone. Using FordPass Connect’s phone application, GT350 owners can locate their parked car, lock and unlock it, and check vehicle status, such as fuel, oil levels and maintenance alerts. The availability of these features varies by market.
2020 GT350R 1.jpg
2020 GT350R 3.jpg
2020 GT350R 2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

joshua80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2016 Cayman GT4, 2022 Raptor
Was hoping for more changes for the 5k.... Oh well, I have my allocation set and am getting it MSRP, so cant complain too much.

Although, the press release does not mention any pricing info. Maybe the increase was a mistake?

Last edited:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I had mentioned in a post ages ago that I suspected the tram lining may be related to the steering knuckle geometry not having enough leverage for re-centering. Hopefully this may correct that, but then again it could be at the risk of decreasing the crisp steering feel we've come to love. Hopefully it won't be the steering story of the E36 M3 in the US. In 1995, the first year of the E36 M3 in the US, Americans thought the steering was too stiff and rough. So they 'improved' it for 1996....by removing the Euro M3 steering rack and replacing it with a US 3-series rack. Everything is a game of give and take.

I also was expecting some more significant changes too.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Disappointed with these changes! is a 5K increase in MSRP reasonable for this? It doesn’t sound like it to me.

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
This reads like Ford reducing the number of different parts and marketing it as an upgrade, not that there's a problem with that. We already know they did that with the engine block so, in my mind, this makes sense.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
This is pretty Pathetic, lol it’s all about profit now thanks Hackett. How did we go from having a performance model for everyone to a gt350 that hasn’t changed In any real meaningful way. Just to charge more $$$ for it

pretty sad

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
This is pretty Pathetic, lol it’s all about profit now thanks Hackett. How did we go from having a performance model for everyone to a gt350 that hasn’t changed In any real meaningful way. Just to charge more $$$ for it

pretty sad
Agreed 100% !!!!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Carbonfibre front splitter = $$$.

But for 5K, I was expecting DSSVs, GT4 wing, and dive planes along with the Cup 2R tires. This would have been worth 1.5-2 seconds on a Track like laguna.

Ford wtf.

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
FP had stated some time back that '19 was yr. of GT350 refresh and the R was getting its new changes in 2020. Anxiously awaited only to see a revised Frt. suspension w/ TWO new parts and necessary recalibration? For a $5,000 uptick in price? You kidding me?
Honestly, had my money on CF Driveshaft, imroved Aero tweeks ( canards, GT4 wing...), upscale "special" R interior w/ less plastic trim/ more CF, Exposed CF wheels , something more! Refreshed GT350 is the value option here guys!

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Come on guys, the $5k increase is Ford trying to get some of that ADM money instead of dealers. Blame people for paying over MSRP for so long for this price increase because clearly there isn't enough new content to otherwise justify it.

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The dilemma that Ford has with the GT350R can be summarized as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And it ain't broke.

The apparent benefit of the steering change is "confidence". Presumably the existing setup was already getting the max G's out of the MPSC2's, so there isn't a lot of room to make things better.

And of course the change might not be as simple as it looks - new knuckle geometry might need a new k-member with revised pickup points, for instance. And then there's the brakes - the calipers bolt onto the knuckle, but the GT500 brakes are a lot bigger than the GT350 brakes - was there a caliper swap involved as well?

We can speculate until the '20 cars start being delivered. They're "late availability" so figure May 2020 before they start showing up, just like this year with the 2019's.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
There’s some truth to the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it argument” here.

BUT, little additions to the interior, like the digital dash for example, would have been an inexpensive proposition for Ford to include in the upgrade.

If the brakes would have been upgraded you would have read about that, that’s a big recipe in the 350’s sauce so they would have bragged about it.

5K for a couple of suspension parts is ridiculous. If I can’t get a new 2019 in the color combo I’m looking for then I’m done tracking one of these damn cars down.

Between the motor issues and the ADM it’s been 3 years of hunting. Guess it wasn’t meant to be.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No mention of the the GT350/GT500 sharing the same block and other components?

Ford should have refreshed the exterior of the GT350 when they refreshed the standard model. How is that the standard Mustang has superior LED headlights over the GT350. The GT350 looks dated to me now. The GT500 as well.
Sponsored