Sponsored

Wow, I didn't realize how much a weighted shift knob would improve the feel of the MT-82!

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
HI Guys, I'd been meaning to try a weighted shift knob for a while and finally got one installed. Maybe it's all in my head, but I have to say, it really does improve the feel of transmission. Those of you who also went with a weighted knob, did notice the same improvement? I went with a 510 gram shift knob, which is quite a bit heavier than the stock. If you shop around, you can get a decent one shipped for $60. So for those of you who aren't really happy with the shift action on your Mustang, it's a pretty cheap mod to try out! --Tom (Sorry for the crappy pic...)

IMG_1193.JPG
Sponsored

Jaybob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium performance package
HI Guys, I'd been meaning to try a weighted shift knob for a while and finally got one installed. Maybe it's all in my head, but I have to say, it really does improve the feel of transmission. Those of you who also went with a weighted knob, did notice the same improvement? I went with a 510 gram shift knob, which is quite a bit heavier than the stock. If you shop around, you can get a decent one shipped for $60. So for those of you who aren't really happy with the shift action on your Mustang, it's a pretty cheap mod to try out! --Tom (Sorry for the crappy pic...)

IMG_1193.JPG
Following this....I just ordered an MGW short throw x-spec standard handle 21% reduction in throw yesterday. I was set on buying a Raceseng nob that weighed in at 1.5 lbs. However, I was advised by MGW that that was just too heavy of a knob. MGW sells them and their heaviest comes in at 1/2 lb with the jam nut. So, what are the pros and cons to weighted knobs? I just daily drive my car and do not track it.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Nice. I want a weighted shift knob, but dont want it to be all metal (heat/cold). Haven't seen a nice weighted knob that has a non metallic outside. Care to share?

Is it textured? Id prefer smooth, but the texture does look relatively smooth for texture.

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Yes, it's textured, the color is wrinkle white. It is actually machined from stainless and powder coated. If I could do it over, I think I would have went with pearl white. I will say, it is a nice piece and does help with the shifting. I got if from Shift Solutions, here's the link...

https://www.shiftsolutionsco.com/product/cs-510-grams-shift-knob

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Man. Functionality wise i see how texture can be a good thing. But haven't had a need, and certainly like a smooth look. Kind of conflicted now. But i like the weighted with the powder coating. Close to perfect.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
After having it installed for a day, I have to say, it's growing on me...

EDIT: The look of the crinkle white that is, as far as the shifting goes it's great!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The '19 MT-82 has a large damper/counterweight on the right side, perhaps to perform the same function as a weighted shift knob? I wonder if a tungsten knob can get to 1.5 kg and what it would feel like?

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Also interested to know if there are any cons to a weighted knob. I'm using a light Bullitt replica knob I picked up from cjpp for cheap. Debating upgrading to a heavier one.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The '19 MT-82 has a large damper/counterweight on the right side, perhaps to perform the same function as a weighted shift knob? I wonder if a tungsten knob can get to 1.5 kg and what it would feel like?
If it's not attached to a part of the shifter that moves, it's not possible for it to perform the same function as a weighted shift knob. More than likely it's for vibration damping purposes.

1.5kg sounds like way too much for a shift knob unless it's for the shock value or "bragging rights". That heavy is very close to the weight of a duckpin bowling ball (about half a lb heavier than a candlepin ball), and I suspect that the effort required to get it moving in the first place would outweigh any potential benefits in eliminating notchiness. Never mind that without adequate shift throw stops - properly set - you'd be begging for greater wear on things like shift forks and sliders.

Norm

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If it's not attached to a part of the shifter that moves, it's not possible for it to perform the same function as a weighted shift knob. More than likely it's for vibration damping purposes.

1.5kg sounds like way too much for a shift knob unless it's for the shock value or "bragging rights". That heavy is very close to the weight of a duckpin bowling ball (about half a lb heavier than a candlepin ball), and I suspect that the effort required to get it moving in the first place would outweigh any potential benefits in eliminating notchiness. Never mind that without adequate shift throw stops - properly set - you'd be begging for greater wear on things like shift forks and sliders.

Norm
Well, we certainly would not want a duckpin ball hanging off the end of the shifter rod! ;) There must be an optimum weight for the knob, looks like 500 g feels good.

The '19 xmsn damper appears to be attached to the internal shift rail so it may function in a similar way to the weighted knob, adding weight and moments to the shift mechanism.
The tungsten knob is just a dopey idea, I would not care to machine one much less pay for the material.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just MGW it. It's a fine transmission with a proper (trans mounted) shifter. I'm looking forward to a clutch with slightly more torque capacity and firmer pressure plate to completely eliminate lockouts. The MGW does almost all of it, though.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Anyone else's shift knob get really hot? If I don't cover it and the car's in the sun, the knob is too hot to grip properly.

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Anyone else's shift knob get really hot? If I don't cover it and the car's in the sun, the knob is too hot to grip properly.
I'll let you know tomorrow after the car sits out in the sun all day while I'm at work. I have black leather so I do use a sun shade in the car when it's parked.

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Also interested to know if there are any cons to a weighted knob. I'm using a light Bullitt replica knob I picked up from cjpp for cheap. Debating upgrading to a heavier one.
I am also curious if there are any cons? I do wonder how much extra wear, if any, the heavier knob causes the shifting mechanisms?

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Following this....I just ordered an MGW short throw x-spec standard handle 21% reduction in throw yesterday. I was set on buying a Raceseng nob that weighed in at 1.5 lbs. However, I was advised by MGW that that was just too heavy of a knob. MGW sells them and their heaviest comes in at 1/2 lb with the jam nut. So, what are the pros and cons to weighted knobs? I just daily drive my car and do not track it.
I installed the same shifter your ordered. Very precise shifts. I found it a bit low so picked up a GT350 Knob and put in a inter spaced a few regular and rubber washers. Huge difference in shifting. I am at just over 3K still think shifter and transmission is breaking in. Noted difference-improvement after each long run of 50+ miles on interstate.
Sponsored