Sponsored

2018 “prime” when initially opening driver door

TorqueMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
For those with the 2018’s, when you initially open your drivers door, can you or do you hear a minor “thump, thump” coming from under the car? I think what I am hearing is the fuel pump priming, I just never noticed it on my prior 2016.
Also happens on my 2018. It drives me nuts. I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump priming. Doesn't matter if I have the key on me or not. It sounds like roughly 5-10 pulses/thunks in about one second of time. The closest sound I can compare it to is a 90s ford window gearbox that is slipping, but the new noise is way more rapid-fire.

I read somewhere (maybe here!) this behavior can possibly be disabled using ForScan. I further read it is necessary for for protecting something further down the fuel line (a second fuel pump?) that may get damaged if run without fuel in it.

It really seems stoopid that every time the driver's door is opened the pump cycles. There does seem to be a timer or pressure sensor that prevents it from re-priming too often. But it also doesn't care if I'm getting into or out of the car -- I've shut the engine off, twiddled with the radio a while, open the door to get out -- thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump . Dumb.

What makes sense-- if it's really necessary -- would be to require the KEY TO BE PRESENT. I'd further prefer that it happen when the key is present and INSIDE the car, and not until I put my foot on the BRAKE. It could even lock out the Start button for that one second of priming, I'd be ok with that, but I can see where the general driving public would complain about that.

So -- oddly enough -- a couple of days ago I witnessed that exact behavior. It had sat all night, I opened the door, NO THUMPS! I got in, put my foot on the brake and then it primed! That is the only time I can recall this ever happening and I wish I knew what made the difference. It hasn't happened since, of course. Maybe I dreamt it, lol!

TorqueMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So -- oddly enough -- a couple of days ago I witnessed that exact behavior. It had sat all night, I opened the door, NO THUMPS! I got in, put my foot on the brake and then it primed! That is the only time I can recall this ever happening and I wish I knew what made the difference. It hasn't happened since, of course. Maybe I dreamt it, lol!
Following up -- it happened again. Unlocked car sat all night, I approached with key, put hand on handle, opened door...no thumps! Also, no DOME LIGHT. I got in sat down, checked the steering wheel -- not locked. Put foot on brake and got the thumps.

It's normal for it to be unlocked (its in a garage) so that's not new. I mention the steering wheel lock because I read somewhere there is an electro-mechanical steering wheel lock that could be making this sound, but it may only exist on the models with upgraded security features? Not sure. Mine is not one of those. Also, I tested a while back but forgot to mention -- after sitting all night, opening the passenger door does NOT trigger the thumps, but walk around to the driver side and open it, then I get the thumps.

I'm wondering if I have an intermittent driver door-open sense switch, That would explain the no dome light condition coinciding with the no thumps upon door opening. Maybe I can exploit that to stop some of the unnecessary priming.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Also happens on my 2018. It drives me nuts. I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump priming. Doesn't matter if I have the key on me or not. It sounds like roughly 5-10 pulses/thunks in about one second of time. The closest sound I can compare it to is a 90s ford window gearbox that is slipping, but the new noise is way more rapid-fire.

I read somewhere (maybe here!) this behavior can possibly be disabled using ForScan. I further read it is necessary for for protecting something further down the fuel line (a second fuel pump?) that may get damaged if run without fuel in it.

It really seems stoopid that every time the driver's door is opened the pump cycles. There does seem to be a timer or pressure sensor that prevents it from re-priming too often. But it also doesn't care if I'm getting into or out of the car -- I've shut the engine off, twiddled with the radio a while, open the door to get out -- thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump . Dumb.

What makes sense-- if it's really necessary -- would be to require the KEY TO BE PRESENT. I'd further prefer that it happen when the key is present and INSIDE the car, and not until I put my foot on the BRAKE. It could even lock out the Start button for that one second of priming, I'd be ok with that, but I can see where the general driving public would complain about that.

It protects the hfpf for the DI.

TorqueMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hands For Peacemaking Foundation
High Five Plains Foundation

HPFP Maybe?

So it happened again, sort of. It sat a long time, but no thumps on driver's door opening. Dome light did come on. Foot on brake still no thumps. Started car. The only difference was several hours earlier in the day I had the key on me and I opened the trunk using the hidden button. I wasn't listening for anything but don't remember hearing anything. Makes no sense that that primed the fuel system, or caused it to not prime hours later.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Following up -- it happened again. Unlocked car sat all night, I approached with key, put hand on handle, opened door...no thumps! Also, no DOME LIGHT. I got in sat down, checked the steering wheel -- not locked. Put foot on brake and got the thumps.

It's normal for it to be unlocked (its in a garage) so that's not new. I mention the steering wheel lock because I read somewhere there is an electro-mechanical steering wheel lock that could be making this sound, but it may only exist on the models with upgraded security features? Not sure. Mine is not one of those. Also, I tested a while back but forgot to mention -- after sitting all night, opening the passenger door does NOT trigger the thumps, but walk around to the driver side and open it, then I get the thumps.

I'm wondering if I have an intermittent driver door-open sense switch, That would explain the no dome light condition coinciding with the no thumps upon door opening. Maybe I can exploit that to stop some of the unnecessary priming.
I have the steering wheel lock definetly not a thump. Sounds more like one of the new electric deadbolt locks.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't hear anything. I'll tell you if a lot of you guys just put on a aftermarket exhaust, xpipe\hpipe, and start your car remotely you'll never hear... ummm I mean have these problems.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I stopped listening for all the funky noises and just drive it and enjoy it.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Ive never heard the deadbolt sound and have the security package on my 19.maybe 19s don't have it.or do I need to make a setting change.thanks.

TorqueMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also happens on my 2018. It drives me nuts. I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump priming.
I think I need to retract this statement. Every time I have heard these thumps, it is in my garage, and *seems* to come from under the front of the car. Could be echoing off a wall and/or floor. In parking lots, I'm less likely to hear the thumps, but have also heard a brief whine from the rear-ish of the vehicle, which I am almost certain *is* the fuel pump priming. It's also quite possible that in the garage, both are happening, but the thumps are masking the fuel pump whine.

So I am back to having no idea what the thumps are. Does the ABS system need to pump up or purge or something pre-start?

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1
Ive never heard the deadbolt sound and have the security package on my 19.maybe 19s don't have it.or do I need to make a setting change.thanks.
I usually hear the steering and console lock shortly after I exit the car. Also, when I open the door after sitting overnight, I hear an electronic tone and the thump in the rear. I believe the car is waking up and executing it's pre-flight checklist.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My 2019 Bullitt doesn't make any such noises (fortunately), but this thread reminds me of my ex-2018 F-150 with the 3.5EB that made a super annoying (and loud) 'rapid fire' noise every time you opened the door. Supposedly it was the fuel pump priming, but I never believed that. My motorcycles prime the fuel pump, and it's just an electric whirring sound, not that 'TA TA TA TA TA', which sounded like hammering. At any rate, glad the Coyote doesn't do that :D.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I have a 21 GT...and wondered about that noise as well! sounds like an old copying machine getting ready. lol

So what is it doing exactly? checking the fuel line pressure and priming if needed?
Sponsored