Sponsored

Official AFD E85 "ProFlex Commander" with New Harness

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This is a new thread about the Advanced Fuel Dynamics ProFlex Commander E85 kit on the GT350 and GT350R. The previous thread can be found here but it is mostly 18 pages of problems and trouble-shooting that AFD has now seemingly fixed with a new harness. If the mods don't want this new thread, that is fine. But now that AFD has seemingly fixed the power issue (more on that below), this thread will be of better use as we move forward and enjoy this E85 flex kit.

As of note, if you have a ProFlex kit and your phone app does NOT read ethanol content (from the flex fuel sensor) with ENGINE RUNNING, you have the OLD harness and should contact ProFlex right away for the fix. What this is indicative of is that your kit is not functioning properly and not making sufficient air-fuel adjustments while on E85. The new harness fixes this issue and now my phone shows real-time, ENGINE ON ethanol content. Contact Gray at AFD right away.

So, I was finally able to get down to a 1/4 tank of 91 octane today, and a local ARCO had an E85 special of $1.85 valid only today. Most so-Cal E85 prices hover around $2.75-$3.00. So I filled up from the 1/4 tank of 91 and the rest E85 and that got me to E63-E65...

20190729_193539ed.jpg
Screenshot_20190729-200609_PROFLEX Connect.jpg

I had the old harness and was not feeling that the kit was doing anything with my first tank of E85. The car just wasn't running smoothly and I was getting "pops" and "pows" on certain up-shifts that just didn't sound right. Now with the new harness, the car is DEFINITELY feeling good, throttle feels much better (more power) even in the lower RPMs that wasn't previously there. The car runs smooth, the loud "pops" and "pows" seem to have gone away (I am not talking about the crackle and gentle pops and blurbs that we all love). In short, the ProFlex Commander with the new harness seems to be working as advertised. Finally!

I say all this tentatively though as I've only driven it 10 miles on E65 and the new harness. I have yet to even go WOT. But so far, the feeling is night and day from the old harness and all the problems we were all having on that old thread.

@FLATPLANE , @rag11 , and anyone else who has the new harness, please post your comments, thoughts, experiences here. And thanks to @mmakam2 for all the leg-work and trying to figure out (from the old thread) how to get this kit right.

So at this point, I'm optimistic and really happy about how the new harness is working. Here is where I have placed my Commander, right above the fuse box in the engine bay, passenger side, in a little nook I found...

Inked20190729_201149_LI_ed.jpg

And this was my YouTube video posted a little while back on thoughts installing the Commander:

I'm hoping to hear some more positive comments on this flex kit. I can't wait to drive mine more now...
Sponsored

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
My harness came in yesterday!! Ill post as soon as I install it!!! Thanks @lightrules

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Good to hear you guys are having positive results! I'd love to see some dyno videos!

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
any updates for anyone? mine's feeling good, all butt dyno. definitely feels stronger throughout the power band and even down low. very pleased w/ the unit at this point.

Here is Mine right now lol
20190729_172029.jpg

Sponsored

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Front Toe Hook from ZL1 Add-ons
Fixing up front end Splitter was a little gap in there
Cleaning out Radiator, Oil Cooler and Trans Coolers of debris
Rear Knuckle to Toe Link Bushings Ford Performance
AFD ProFlex Harness install Hopefully Tonight/ Tomorrow

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Installed mine today and running e65. Drove around 40 miles. Felt and sounds good, and shows % while driving. Gonna give it another day and some real hard pulls tomorrow but I think its actually working properly now.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I've got 5 years left on my extended warranty and 200 miles on my new motor. After it's up, this is definitely top of the list. What's the long term effects of E85 on our cars?

Sponsored

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
The beauty of it is this will only void your engine warranty if your engine blows up and they figure out you used it. It doesn't leave any trace unless theres e85 in the tank. But e85 is actually less likely to blow the engine. It runs cooler. The biggest thing is it can attract water over the long term but if you're using the gas and not leaving it full for weeks/months you'll be fine. This system allows you to mix any 91/93/e85 combo you want though. I'm gonna fill up with 91 every 3 or 4 tanks just to do it, and also remove the system and fill it with 91 for any services. I've only had mine 10 months and I'm still doing it.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 5 years left on my extended warranty and 200 miles on my new motor. After it's up, this is definitely top of the list. What's the long term effects of E85 on our cars?
cant answer the long term effect of e85 but plenty cars are running it.

r u really gonna wait 5 yrs before getting this kit? you know a big reason many get this is bc it can be removed fairly easily and doesnt leave a footprint for warranty work. i've had my R for 8 mos and i am (so far) very glad i got this unit.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
cant answer the long term effect of e85 but plenty cars are running it.

r u really gonna wait 5 yrs before getting this kit? you know a big reason many get this is bc it can be removed fairly easily and doesnt leave a footprint for warranty work. i've had my R for 8 mos and i am (so far) very glad i got this unit.
Bought the car for $50k before taxes/shipping/mods back in 2016. The car has had $40k worth of materials and labor on it in 3 years. Got a new motor a week ago. Right now it's back in the shop because the oil pressure sensor has failed. So yes, I'm gonna wait. Lol

You never know when something will happen, and you gotta have your car towed to the dealer. I'm an anxious person as it is, if I had this on there, and E85 in the tank, I'd probably have a panic attack at the possibility of warranty denial during the 3 hrs I waited for a tow.

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Bought the car for $50k before taxes/shipping/mods back in 2016. The car has had $40k worth of materials and labor on it in 3 years. Got a new motor a week ago. Right now it's back in the shop because the oil pressure sensor has failed. So yes, I'm gonna wait. Lol

You never know when something will happen, and you gotta have your car towed to the dealer. I'm an anxious person as it is, if I had this on there, and E85 in the tank, I'd probably have a panic attack at the possibility of warranty denial during the 3 hrs I waited for a tow.
Well a tailored flex tune is the way to go if you dont care about warranty. It makes more power and doesn't require a harness hanging all over the engine. The main benefit of this is you get some power gains and immediate adaptation to whatever mixture of fuel you have, without leaving any sign on your computer. You can fully remove this thing and put it back to stock condition with nothing but a 8mm socket in 20 min. If I were you though I wouldn't chance the warranty if you've had issues already. Just wait and get a tune if you wanna run e85.

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Alright I've put a half tank of driving in on E73, did some max acceleration pulls and just some general driving around. I threw the reader up 10 min ago and I have 0 codes and 0 pending codes. As for performance, you can definitely feel the difference in throttle response and acceleration. It's not game changing or anything but it's enough for you to love the system. I'm definitely happy with it if it continues to work correctly as it seems to be.
Sponsored