Help with dealership oil change advice

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
Military bases. As a civilian contractor I have access to their autocraft place. Charges $6 and hour for a 4 point lift you can do anything on. Different lifts are cheaper and they have non lift bays too. 90% of the tools you need they have typically. I'd bet you could spend the time for a visitors pass on any base and rent bay space with the autocraft place even if you don't work with the military at all. Never had to try it but should work.
I wish that was the case near me here in Millington TN, only military personnel can use the hobby shop and all non military have to have a military sponsor with them
Sponsored

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
I hate that this happened to your pony. I understand. I drive around water puddles so my engine compartment doesn't get splashed up. For my .02, I would spray it with truck bed liner that I used to purchase from a Sherwin Williams store. It was available in standard sized spray cans.
either that, or I was going to say, good old rubberized rocker guard which you can get in a spray can at any body shop supply store.

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi I did some digging up and called Ford headquarters who then gave me flat rock assembly plants number where they build the mustang. The reception answered and I asked to speak to the paint department of the Mustang and a manger answered. He seemed very knowledgable. He told me he would get back to me. He wrote this in an email today.

Talked to my PPG rep today, he is investigating a material and place where you can purchase the closest thing to the electro coating we use here at the factory.

The area’s you hi-lited are actually design intent, as that is where the car sits on the conveyor for movement. In years past we would have rolled a black 2k primer after the car was relocated on a hanger for assembly to cover the spots.

I’ll update you when Info becomes available

So I guess I will wait until he tells me the ppg part.

He also told me that our paint is primer base coat clear all spray wet on top of each other as a cost saving and enviro measure. That might explain why it's so easy to chip current mustang's paint compared to older mustang's paint.

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
This was at a similar height it was when I drove on it for it to damage to give you an idea.
View attachment 382477
lift 2 - Copy.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
As someone who has worked at a few dealers in the service department(including Ford), Stay FAR away from them unless its something like a recall/warranty work. The whole service department is basically a rat race of low end techs who are forced to rush through cars in unrealistic time frames and flat rate techs who try to do 4 hour book time jobs in an hour to maximize their earnings since higher end techs get paid jackshit at dealers. Find a good independent shop in your area that you can get to know the owner/techs personally and let them do it. It may cost a few more dollars but its well worth it knowing you are getting the job done right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for your support guys.

Bladex10 what about this?

https://steeda.ca/pages/our-facility

Would they probably be better than a dealership? It looks like this shop Steeda only fixes mustangs. Perhaps they might be a bit more careful? I called and they said they lift the mustangs carefully and use wood under the lifting points to minimize bending of metal.

tech_l_2_1024x1024.jpg

tech_l_4_1024x1024.jpg

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I can hardly wait for the post when a bird shits on your hood.

Last edited:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Man if you guys cannot trust your dealer's service dept to change your oil - you are really screwed.

Knock on wood - I had my oil changed (first time) - nothing bad happened (did have the tick right after - pissed me off - confirmed what people here have been saying.) I'm beyond the fun of changing oil - been there done that. I like the idea of the service dept looking for known issues and fixing things as they service the oil. Last time (which was the first time) no problems encountered (except the damn tick which I never had - so I used Ceratek to fix it.)

With my last car (Mercedes C class) man - they fixed so many things under warranty - 1000's of dollars (cats, suspensions pieces, computer modules, all manner of various oil leaks, transmission control unit) - on and on. I learned - you take your new car to the dealer service dept - and they will usually preemptively fix things that are known to fail.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Man if you guys cannot trust your dealer's service dept to change your oil - you are really screwed.

Knock on wood - I had my oil changed (first time) - nothing bad happened (did have the tick right after - pissed me off - confirmed what people here have been saying.) I'm beyond the fun of changing oil - been there done that. I like the idea of the service dept looking for known issues and fixing things as they service the oil. Last time (which was the first time) no problems encountered (except the damn tick which I never had - so I used Ceratek to fix it.)

With my last car (Mercedes C class) man - they fixed so many things under warranty - 1000's of dollars (cats, suspensions pieces, computer modules, all manner of various oil leaks, transmission control unit) - on and on. I learned - you take your new car to the dealer service dept - and they will usually preemptively fix things that are known to fail.
Goes to show what quality Mercedes really is. "... known to fail." is the giveaway. More than one BMW or Mercedes tech has told me that much of the $$ you pay for that stuff is the dealer fixing things the factory let slide.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Goes to show what quality Mercedes really is. "... known to fail." is the giveaway. More than one BMW or Mercedes tech has told me that much of the $$ you pay for that stuff is the dealer fixing things the factory let slide.
My Mercedes C class was the most reliable car I've probably ever had - I had numerous VW Jettas etc - that had all manner of failures. I could always depend on my C class that and my Toyota Land Cruiser. I had it from 2004 (new) to 2018.

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
No action needed, non-issue.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark