Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Actually, it is possible to incorporate VVT into a "single-cam" OHV engine. But you have to think a bit outside the usual camshaft design box. Think "cam in cam".

https://chryslercorporationllc.blogspot.com/2007/08/viper-v10-introduces-cam-in-cam.html

Norm
How many camshafts would it take to make a "cam in cam" engine? One... Or two? ;)

Dual concentric cams are still not a single cam shaft. They are just a silly complication that works as a retrofit, but designing around one would be like specifying your home floor plan based on the size of your refrigerator, only to buy a new refrigerator based on the nook you just built.

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/products/duocam/
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Can't wait to see all the performance parts the aftermarket builds for this engine.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ditch the ultra conservative 87 octane tune
Moron strikes again. Those number are with premium fuel. Regardless still 5 less hp than my '17 GT. Torques I couldn't care less
The 7.3 is said to be a bit "Shorter" than the Coyote and as we know
Moron strikes again, again.. we've been over this at nauseam.. it won't be shorter cause the bore spacing & bore size is larger than the coyote. or if you're talking height. Still wrong.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How many camshafts would it take to make a "cam in cam" engine? One... Or two? ;)
But it still installs into a V-type engine as a single cam, and since it still has to be an OHV design it uses pushrods.

Dual concentric cams are still not a single cam shaft. They are just a silly complication that works as a retrofit, but designing around one would be like specifying your home floor plan based on the size of your refrigerator, only to buy a new refrigerator based on the nook you just built.
You could have said the same thing about the Vari-Cam (1960's stuff) . . . or any valve timing / intake-exhaust phasing adjustability while running. Even TiVCT, Vanos, or VTEC.

I'm sure that given the right design requirements, dual concentric cams could well be the right answer. ChryCo's engineers - no slouches at performance engine design - apparently thought so.

Norm

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe he wants to pull stumps with his Mustang
That was my thought. If you could somehow start in 3rd gear, with strong enough gears and wide enough tires to hook up, you could theoretically get a good jump off the line. But such a car would be good for just about that, and not much else. It would probably handle like a Challenger by then.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
But it still installs into a V-type engine as a single cam, and since it still has to be an OHV design it uses pushrods.

You could have said the same thing about the Vari-Cam (1960's stuff) . . . or any valve timing / intake-exhaust phasing adjustability while running. Even TiVCT, Vanos, or VTEC.

I'm sure that given the right design requirements, dual concentric cams could well be the right answer. ChryCo's engineers - no slouches at performance engine design - apparently thought so.

Norm
Given the opportunity, I'm sure they would have readily changed the block to use non-concentric camshafts or a DOHC setup, but were told not to change the block. Sometimes the design constraints don't make sense and you end up with cam lobes pinned to a shaft that lives within a hollow cam shaft.

If the Vari-Cam is what I'm thinking of, I've already addressed it. It simply changes the cam phasing with respect to the crankshaft, but does not alter the intake-exhaust phasing.

VTEC is a bit weird in that it adds more valves... You can't really call it a VVT solution because the timing is fixed, you change the porting. It's a digital attempt at an analog problem.

TiVCT is exactly what were talking about. The ability to vary timing of the exhaust and intake valves independently... Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing... Vanos is a different version of this. Neither can be done with a single camshaft.

Cav427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Still rather have a Boss 9 (529 Cubic Inches 8.7 Liters), Boss 429 427 (Solid Lifter) Side Oiler or 427 SOHC for an engine swap, they are known quantities with cams, carbs and efi readily available. Also they have Forged Pistons, Cranks and Rods. The Coyote 5.0 3rd generation is pretty awesome too, there are a lot of upgrades one can do. The 7.3, revs low with a low redline. Bet it is designed to rev up slow too. Love to have it (7.3 in an F150), but many far superior big block for swaps in an S550.. Opinions are like engines, every car has 'em.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Still rather have a Boss 9 (529 Cubic Inches 8.7 Liters), Boss 429 427 (Solid Lifter) Side Oiler or 427 SOHC for an engine swap, they are known quantities with cams, carbs and efi readily available. Also they have Forged Pistons, Cranks and Rods. The Coyote 5.0 3rd generation is pretty awesome too, there are a lot of upgrades one can do. The 7.3, revs low with a low redline. Bet it is designed to rev up slow too. Love to have it (7.3 in an F150), but many far superior big block for swaps in an S550.. Opinions are like engines, every car has 'em.
except Teslas

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
You can study the hp difference while using the Raptor too.
6.2 1/2 ton vs Raptor vs 1 ton.
3.5 TT 1/2 ton vs 3.5 TT Raptor and then throw in the Ford GT's 3.5 TT

So yea, the 7.3 is the better of the two and by far.
You keep saying the 7.3 is the better of the two BY FAR, what measurement are you using to claim a truck engine is by far better than the Coyote. I've seen nothing posted showing this 7.3 to be bar far better, anywhere.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen nothing posted showing this 7.3 to be bar far better, anywhere.
And you won't. Cause the 5.0L Coyote is superior & more potent.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
And you won't. Cause the 5.0L Coyote is superior & more potent.
Exactly, he keeps saying it as if repeating it will make it so.
Sponsored