Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
With that power and torque, I would love to see a marine version of that engine... Even if it was detuned, it would give the 454 a run for it's money, and should be more efficient than the 8.2. It would need to be modded to run at sustained high RPM, would need marine exhaust, and even then I would probably want to run it as a sea-core type with traditional anti-freeze rather than as a raw water application. If nothing else, for longevity.

I've been toying with dropping a 6.2 in place of my 5.7, but I'm going to hold off for a bit...

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Mustang 360.......Mustangs and Fast Fords have the full write up.
The 7.3 was and is designed with all out performance in mind.
The 7.3 is said to be a bit "Shorter" than the Coyote and as we know, a bunch narrower.

So the nay sayers can cling to the Ultra low 87 octane tune numbers.

As for me......bye bye coyote.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Mustang 360.......Mustangs and Fast Fords have the full write up.
The 7.3 was and is designed with all out performance in mind.
The 7.3 is said to be a bit "Shorter" than the Coyote and as we know, a bunch narrower.

So the nay sayers can cling to the Ultra low 87 octane tune numbers.

As for me......bye bye coyote.

You know what helps performance and efficiency?

Variable Valve Timing.

You know what isn't on a single-cam engine?

Variable Valve Timing.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I ordered a preproduction model from Ford awhile back and it just arrived. Already have it installed in the engine bay. Should have it running in a few days.

#coyoteugly #roadkill #fullofshit

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I ordered a preproduction model from Ford awhile back and it just arrived. Already have it installed in the engine bay. Should have it running in a few days.

#coyoteugly #roadkill #fullofshit
How many posts before someone asks what you paid for it. :headbang:

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You know what helps performance and efficiency?

Variable Valve Timing.

You know what isn't on a single-cam engine?

Variable Valve Timing.
Which can be substituted with variable cam timing, something that has been used for a while now. But bare in mind, this is not me defending the 7.3 for a Mustang. I'm pointing out there are solutions. Big engines don't mean low efficiency either. The 4.0L S65 BMW engine gets absolutely ABYSMAL fuel economy. Worse than a Coyote in comparable trims of cars.

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Which can be substituted with variable cam timing, something that has been used for a while now. But bare in mind, this is not me defending the 7.3 for a Mustang. I'm pointing out there are solutions. Big engines don't mean low efficiency either. The 4.0L S65 BMW engine gets absolutely ABYSMAL fuel economy. Worse than a Coyote in comparable trims of cars.
A V8 that makes max HP at 8300 RPM. Shocking it would have poor fuel economy. Probably turning between 3000 RPM on the highway in top gear.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
If you're referring to the profile of the cam, it's still fixed. You can adjust the cam phase angle with respect to the crankshaft on the fly, but the intake to exhaust phasing is set. The beauty of separate cams for intake and exhaust is the ability to modify things like valve overlap while the engine is operating.

It also makes one wonder why we're still messing with cams anyway when a solenoid can act directly on the valve.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you're referring to the profile of the cam, it's still fixed. You can adjust the cam phase angle with respect to the crankshaft on the fly, but the intake to exhaust phasing is set. The beauty of separate cams for intake and exhaust is the ability to modify things like valve overlap while the engine is operating.

It also makes one wonder why we're still messing with cams anyway when a solenoid can act directly on the valve.
I'm aware of all of this. Which I'm also going to well assume then you're in the know that Koeniggseg has been trying to master exactly that, a cam-less valvetrain which would of course DRASTICALLY revolutionize the ICE.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm aware of all of this. Which I'm also going to well assume then you're in the know that Koeniggseg has been trying to master exactly that, a cam-less valvetrain which would of course DRASTICALLY revolutionize the ICE.
A rotary valve system would be just about ideal. Not quite perfected yet, but it could also be retarded with phasors like current Ford engines. The idea being it would be one solid rotary valve system, and extremely reliable. Thermal expansion issues are still a problem though. It's extremely hard to seal it properly.
Sponsored