Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

frankrizzo487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT premium convertible (PP)
Wolverine, JPC said they only sell the mcleod clutch with their flywheel. I've spent money on stupider stuff, I didn't mind.

aleccesarenriquez, I'm gonna rough it out until I put a procharger on her. The 2.97 1st with the 3.73's should be bearable until the charger.. Lemme know how it goes with the tune, I've got the Ngauge and tune from Lund otw

db252, Arp flywheel bolts are coming ;) Nobody had any other issues like the P-pack track apps not working? Heard that from a few people.
Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
2.97 with 3:73 will be no issue on a NA car.

All mode settings should carry over and work just like originally designed.

Tricky Dickey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hey fellas, just ordered my swap kit from JPC with the 2.97 1st, RST clutch with matching lightened steel flywheel, DSS driveshaft and everything else that comes with the kit. Based off what ive read from you guys I need to order the bowler all-in-one harness and as much as I loved the what the barton shifter did for me on the absolute shit mt-82 i'm gonna try the MGW shifter. Anything else I'll need? I'm adding a stainless steel braided clutch line while I'm down there and a new TO bearing just for GP. Has everyone experienced the rev hanging?? Pretty much 100% gonna need a tune to fix that no? Thanks in advance for all the help and I cant wait to get behind this f*cker with the new trans.

-Frank
The kit comes from JPC with and Abbot Box, I have one and will be installing this week. I’ll let you know if it works out so you don’t have to drop another $250-300 for the Bowler.

frankrizzo487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT premium convertible (PP)
The kit comes from JPC with and Abbot Box, I have one and will be installing this week. I’ll let you know if it works out so you don’t have to drop another $250-300 for the Bowler.
Tricky, I know it comes with the abbot box but it sounds like alot of people have problems with it. Just to be safe I ordered the bowler to have on standby. Please lemme know how it works because I'll return that sucka! Good luck with the install!

db252 the boys at Lund are on top of it. The tune and Ngauge are already on the way. I'm excited to have a useful first gear LOL

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Small update, I have some goodies coming in the next week or two from MDL. Magnum XL, QA1 driveshaft, Tilton ST-246 clutch & flywheel set, and Bowler harness. All I need to do is pick up an MGW shifter and a Tilton 6000 series throwout bearing.

God I hope that covers it, this is an expensive swap.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Congrats! As for the McLeod lightened flywheel, is this part of the RST clutch kit, or did you add it specifically to your order?

Some of the McLeod RST/RXT clutch kits get around requiring a new flywheel by using a small friction surface that simply bolts to an existing flywheel (basically an adapter plate). I don’t have a flywheel to start off with, and I’d like to find an RST kit that includes a flywheel made for the clutch so I don’t have to use that adapter piece.
Check your PMs, I went back and forth and even ordered (then canceled) a McLeod. Tilton has the perfect clutch setup for this swap now, clutch and flywheel for only $1300.

https://tiltonracing.com/product/st-246-twin-disc-clutch-kits/

ST-246-Organic-Kit-Spread.jpg

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Sounds like you’re good to go. Flywheel bolts is the only thing off the top of my head to think of on your list but you may already have those coming to.

Rev hang will be there unless an aftermarket tuner removes it. They will also get your cruise control issues worked out.
This is what Brandon from Lund said:

Alec, this seems very minimal between shifts when this happens and the fact that we have a different transmission swapped in. It's going to come with the territory with so much changed.

This was one of the two videos I sent him.

It's really weird because I'm pretty sure he's tuned Poseidon_S550's car to remove the rev hang.

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
Check your PMs, I went back and forth and even ordered (then canceled) a McLeod. Tilton has the perfect clutch setup for this swap now, clutch and flywheel for only $1300.
@aleccolin PM replied!

Which McLeod clutch did you have ordered, the RST or the RXT? It should have been the “Power Pack” as McLeod calls it, part number 6435807M or 6335807M (M means RXT, no M for RST; second digit is 4 for billet steel flywheel and 3 for aluminum). Only the Power Packs come with a flywheel from McLeod included, and the non-Power Packs (for a specific year/make/model) will typically NOT include a flywheel.

That Tilton ST-246 looks like a great unit. Still costs slightly more than the Power Pack RST/RXT (both McLeod and Tilton kits would include a flywheel in this case). Also, I can’t find any data, reviews, video/text write ups on the Tilton ST-246. Is it just that new?? There’s tons of info out there for the McLeod RST/RXT clutches.

Research continues..

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
@aleccolin PM replied!

Which McLeod clutch did you have ordered, the RST or the RXT? It should have been the “Power Pack” as McLeod calls it, part number 6435807M or 6335807M (M means RXT, no M for RST; second digit is 4 for billet steel flywheel and 3 for aluminum). Only the Power Packs come with a flywheel from McLeod included, and the non-Power Packs (for a specific year/make/model) will typically NOT include a flywheel.

That Tilton ST-246 looks like a great unit. Still costs slightly more than the Power Pack RST/RXT (both McLeod and Tilton kits would include a flywheel in this case). Also, I can’t find any data, reviews, video/text write ups on the Tilton ST-246. Is it just that new?? There’s tons of info out there for the McLeod RST/RXT clutches.

Research continues..
What I specifically wanted was a sprung-hub RST. The part numbers I came up with were 6975-07 for the clutch and 473458 for the flywheel. What that gives you is a 10-14 GT500 clutch which is dual disc, organic, and sprung hub - but that won't mount up to the 5.0L flywheel which is why the new flywheel is necessary. Add an OEM GT500 slave cylinder and what you get is this package from Lethal: https://www.lethalperformance.com/m...st-clutch-package-for-use-with-magnum-xl.html

The best pricing I found on the clutch and flywheel above were from SportCompactWarehouse and totaled to $1498.96, not including the throwout bearing.

What I'm using is Tilton PN 55-1001 (clutch & flywheel set) and 60-6105 (throwout) which totals to $1654 using Summit Racing prices.

Edit: Corrected HRB part number and cost

Last edited:

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What I specifically wanted was a sprung-hub RST. The part numbers I came up with were 6975-07 for the clutch and 473458 for the flywheel. What that gives you is a 10-14 GT500 clutch which is dual disc, organic, and sprung hub - but that won't mount up to the 5.0L flywheel which is why the new flywheel is necessary. Add an OEM GT500 slave cylinder and what you get is this package from Lethal: https://www.lethalperformance.com/m...st-clutch-package-for-use-with-magnum-xl.html

The best pricing I found on the clutch and flywheel above were from SportCompactWarehouse and totaled to $1498.96, not including the throwout bearing.

What I'm using is Tilton PN 55-1001 (clutch & flywheel set) and 60-6104 (throwout) which totals to $1606.50 using Summit Racing prices.
Did you consider Mantic cerametallic? Getting close to that territory in terms of cost and I believe they’re sprung hub.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Did you consider Mantic cerametallic? Getting close to that territory in terms of cost and I believe they’re sprung hub.
Considered yes, and I know they have a good rep, but wanted to stay organic and keep this an actual GT car for road trips and stuff. Mantic's organic sprung hub (M924236-26) is around $1800 and if you trust the specs has significantly less torque holding capacity (607 lb-ft vs 850 lb-ft for the Tilton).

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Considered yes, and I know they have a good rep, but wanted to stay organic and keep this an actual GT car for road trips and stuff. Mantic's organic sprung hub (M924236-26) is around $1800 and if you trust the specs has significantly less torque holding capacity (607 lb-ft vs 850 lb-ft for the Tilton).
I’ve always heard that they’re very conservative on their torque metrics. I was about to try the organic with the mt82 but ended up switching to the t56 before I had the chance so I swapped to the 26 spline ceramic discs of course.

I would venture to guess you wouldn’t have had an issue with the organic discs if you don’t track the car.

Btw, I like your name lol

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
The ultimate question here is.....”Are ceramic (or metallic) discs and solid-hubs daily-driver street-friendly?”

The choices are:

1. McLeod RST; organic; sprung if GT500 spec otherwise solid-hub
2. McLeod RXT; ceramic; sprung if GT500 spec otherwise solid-hub
3. Mantic; organic; sprung-hub
4. Mantic; ceramic; solid-hub
5. Tilton ST-246; organic; sprung-hub
6. Tilton ST-246; ceramic; solid-hub

What concerns me about the RST/RXT spung-hub variants is that McLeod tech support claims they will NOT fit in the QuickTime RM-8080 bellhousing due to their stack height (no room left for the TOB). If that’s true, I guess it narrows the options down for McLeod clutches, but how do the Mantic or Tilton setups get away with sprung-hubs then?

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I’m not sure what that McLeod guy is on about, but the clutch stack height is not an issue, you just have to use a shorter TOB which the OEM GT500 version is, or you go with an aftermarket adjustable TOB like the Tilton which has been used a lot in various applications.

Bellhousing depth is 5.34” per the link below.

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop...ousing-for-ford-mod-motor-to-ford-magnum-t56/

Clutch assy thickness for the Tilton with the thick floater plate (to clear the hub springs) is 2.66” per the drawing below.

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/ST-246-clutch-install-dwg.pdf

Min. height for the threaded sleeve mounted TOB (60-6104) is 1.77” per the drawing below.

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/6000-Series-HRBs-Flat-Face-Type.pdf

That leaves almost an inch of adjustment.

Last edited:
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
This is what Brandon from Lund said:

Alec, this seems very minimal between shifts when this happens and the fact that we have a different transmission swapped in. It's going to come with the territory with so much changed.

This was one of the two videos I sent him.

It's really weird because I'm pretty sure he's tuned Poseidon_S550's car to remove the rev hang.

Don't really know what the issue is here. Lund has tuned mine as well and I have rev intro and hang removed. Funny thing is was that it was just explained to me they removed it from the tune because it works better with the Magnum XL in an email and I didn't even request it. Very strange.
Sponsored