Not open for further replies.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I feel bad for all the 350 owners who thought they had something very special. Chevy just turned the 350 into the red headed step child.
All this back and forth about dry weight and Lemans is funny. Who cares Chevy just bitch slapped Ford and Dodge by putting out a 60K super car.And the original post was about how the 350 has just become irrelevant. Time will tell how the GT 500 is effected. The only thing so for the GT 500 will be dealer add on will go away.everybody thinking these cars are going to be something special remember the dodge shelby's from the 80s. Nobody cared then and now they are not even mentioned. The price of the C8 is a huge game changer.
I would agree in terms of performance the C8 just dominated the GT350. However the GT350 is still the largest production FPC V8 and highest horsepower production N/A V8 in America. It also has a manual transmission. It is still special and relevant for the engine and transmission. However if the rumored GM 5.5 FPC V8 is to be believed then that specialness is on the way out.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I would agree in terms of performance the C8 just dominated the GT350. However the GT350 is still the largest production FPC V8 and highest horsepower production N/A V8 in America. It also has a manual transmission. It is still special and relevant for the engine and transmission. However if the rumored GM 5.5 FPC V8 is to be believed then that specialness is on the way out.
The wheel keeps turning. And that’s a good thing. GT350 has been a beast since 2016. Sure it’s had it’s issues. Every type of car that all of us posting drive have had issues, but it is still a strong performer. So....4 years later a stronger performer comes along. That’s to be expected. Doesn’t mean the GT350 was or is a bad car. From my perspective, what Ford should be worried about is that C8 is chipping away at GT500 before it even hits the ground. A result of Ford being probably two years late bringing it to market.

If GT350 lands in 2016 (it did) and GT500 lands in 2018 (it didn’t) and C8 lands in 2020 (it will) each would have had its moment in the sun. Now the C8 is coming to market right on top of GT500 and its base model is making waves. What’s going to happen when the “serious” trim levels start to land? Expect a Grand Sport or a Z06 in about a year. That’s what GM did with C6 and C7.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The main reason the gt350 will "get crushed" is because its manual and c8 is DCT. If you want a real manual then c8 isnt even an option. If you want an auto then gt350 isnt an option. Its not really even a fair comparison. One also has 4 seats. GT500 and c8 are close in price and both DCT which is why its a more valid comparison.
But the 350 and the c8 are the same price. The gt500 is 20% more expensive.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
The wheel keeps turning. And that’s a good thing. GT350 has been a beast since 2016. Sure it’s had it’s issues. Every type of car that all of us posting drive have had issues, but it is still a strong performer. So....4 years later a stronger performer comes along. That’s to be expected. Doesn’t mean the GT350 was or is a bad car. From my perspective, what Ford should be worried about is that C8 is chipping away at GT500 before it even hits the ground. A result of Ford being probably two years late bringing it to market.

If GT350 lands in 2016 (it did) and GT500 lands in 2018 (it didn’t) and C8 lands in 2020 (it will) each would have had its moment in the sun. Now the C8 is coming to market right on top of GT500 and its base model is making waves. What’s going to happen when the “serious” trim levels start to land? Expect a Grand Sport or a Z06 in about a year. That’s what GM did with C6 and C7.
Everyone was giving the GT500 grief before the C8. Ford better hope the GT500 is better in some aspect than the C8. Right now all I see is that it is roudy and has back seats. The C8 GS, Z06 and ZR1 are going to be wild. I really hope it drives Ford to innovate, I hate to see the current situation we are in. If the C8 started at 80k, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
LINK TO PRICING? This was done on a build calculator through GM i believe. Also it only makes 495 with the package.
The active exhaust is also included in the z51 package. That Instagram thing you posted is fake news.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Everyone was giving the GT500 grief before the C8. Ford better hope the GT500 is better in some aspect than the C8. Right now all I see is that it is roudy and has back seats. The C8 GS, Z06 and ZR1 are going to be wild. I really hope it drives Ford to innovate, I hate to see the current situation we are in. If the C8 started at 80k, this discussion wouldn't be happening.
I don't know - I've driven mid-engine sports cars before and they can be bland. There's so much traction that they can be boring to drive on the street.

Add to that no manual option and many people might take a pass.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
definitely requires a drag strip, just like the c8 will to hit anywhere near its advertised 0-60 i am betting. If the c8 doesnt trap ~122+ its going to lose roll races to stock GT's lol. Gt500s will blow it out of the water
Holy fuck, now stock GTs are trapping 122?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thats with at least a PP1 car on Michelin tires.

I know damn well my car with an A10 on shit PZeros will NOT cut a 4 second 0-60.

Point im trying to make is a BASE A10 car that is NOT on Michelins will not do 0-60 in 4 flat.
No mine won't either on sticker tires, but I've yet to see a new corvette that wasn't destined for the senior center so not sure 0-60 times matter for the C8. People under 60 tend to buy cars with backseats. Kind hard to compare the 0-60 time of a car with a backseat vs a car without one. Different car, different purpose, different buyer type, and different weight class.

But I will agree the C8 just pushed the envelope for sure and it's good for us.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Starting price says otherwise....

Again this car will print money and bring in a whole new demographic for GM.

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
I use the back seat of my Mustang so I can have the leg room to actually fit in it nicely. Something the Corvette can't do for me.
The new one has no engine up front so it might be more comfortable for the 6’+ gents.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Starting price says otherwise....

Again this car will print money and bring in a whole new demographic for GM.
Starting price is the basically the same as the C7. With my families GM employee discount I could have gotten one for $55k or a couple grand more without when I was looking a them. Yeah they tried to bring in a new demo with the C7 and it didn't really work to well. I have to see it in person. I've seen some pics of it in the wild that didn't look all that hot. Also have to see the 0-60 times. When stock zr1's are getting beat by full bolt on NA mustangs at the strip it kind of makes you question Chevy's performance claims.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.