GT 350 just got crushed by the C8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have a feeling the high end GT's are going to be in trouble with this car. It may have a base model with only 490HP, but the car is extremely lightweight compared to a Coyote Mustang of any flavor (I heard sub 3,500lbs), and has a 0-60 that will make the GT350 look like a freight train. Also, you can bet the new C8 base will probably give the GT500 a real hard time on the track, simply because of it's obvious increase in handling. Mid engined cars are no joke. Just look at how the Cayman does against cars that have 200HP more. Those C8 test vids at Nurburgring were just a taste. That's where it will shine. Most C7's like the Z06 can probably give a GT500 a run for its money on a track. For the money, the C8 will make a joke out of it.

Take a base C8, and strap on a blower. Nothing Ford has will touch it, unless you go full on GT for $400g's.
I've actually been seeing sub 3400lbs. Lighter than a Focus RS.

Manual/auto preferences aside the C8 is going to be a VERY strong challenger to the 62K(going off MSRP's only) GT350, the GT350R and the 57K Supra/Z4.

As the Camaro is dying I would not be amazed if we see a lower trim C8 in 2022 or 23 as a Turbo 4 or turbo V6 version that is cheaper than the V8, positioning the C8 as a small jump above GT pricing. Even if they used a 400HP TTv6, that would likely still make it a high-mid 12 second car that would be a STRONG PPL2 Premium GT fighter. for potentially only a little more.
Sponsored

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
If you're just considering price, then the GT350 and C8 are in the same category as a Silverado.

I don't think they're in the same category, and don't think the C8 and the 911 Turbo are in the same category. No matter how much design and development money you spend, you can't make a front engine / rear wheel drive car perform the same as a mid engine / RWD or an AWD car. The physics just don't allow it.
Why would you bring up a pick up truck? We are talking about performance cars.

When shopping performance cars, buyers are now cross shopping Shelbys with the C8.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I just don't see it. The physics just don't seem to be there.

What I would love to see, is some nut job doing an 8,200rpm VooDoo swap into a C8-Z51.
Well if the rumors are to be believed Chevy is cooking up a 5.5 FPC V8 for the C8. I really hope they aren't as it will shatter the GT350 IMO.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well if the rumors are to be believed Chevy is cooking up a 5.5 FPC V8 for the C8. I really hope they aren't as it will shatter the GT350 IMO.
What I want to know, is what were they running in the C8-R prototype at Sebring? It almost sounded like a mutated 3.6L V6 that's been Turbo'd to Hades and back. It may very well have been a 5.5 FPC, but it had some serious scream to it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Why would you bring up a pick up truck? We are talking about performance cars.

When shopping performance cars, buyers are now cross shopping Shelbys with the C8.
I brought up a truck because I replied to a post that said the C8 and GT350 were in the same class because they were a similar price. The Silverado is a similar price too and the point is you can’t base being in the same class on price. Yes, the C8 will outperform the GT350 but since it’s mid engine you can’t expect the GT350 to have similar performance. The C8 isn’t even in the same class as the C7.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think the c8 may be hard to drive due to the heavy rear weigh bias. If you lose the rear you are basically going off the road backwards I think. May end up being one of the most crashed cars. I think the GT500 will decimate it in the 1/4 mile and on a lot of tracks where you can actually use power. 770 hp gt500 vs 495 hp z51 c8 will cost about the same msrp. I would like to try driving one though. Gt500 with pulley, tune, e85 probably could make 750+ rwhp for like 3k of mods, I think the c8 will be very hard to mod and have less power potential. Roll racing the GT500 will absolutely decimate it I think too.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I brought up a truck because I replied to a post that said the C8 and GT350 were in the same class because they were a similar price. The Silverado is a similar price too and the point is you can’t base being in the same class on price. Yes, the C8 will outperform the GT350 but since it’s mid engine you can’t expect the GT350 to have similar performance. The C8 isn’t even in the same class as the C7.
Yeah they aren't in the same class in terms of performance but Chevy's bombshell announcement starting the C8 lower than the GT350 + Gas Guzzler Tax, people will now cross-shop the two. So they are now in the same class thanks to pricing something that separated Corvettes and Mustangs for awhile. There is very little reason for the average performance car consumer to purchase a GT350 over a C8. Enthusiasts, Brand Loyalists and Track Rats may still be inclined to look at GT350s.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I just don't see it. The physics just don't seem to be there.

What I would love to see, is some nut job doing an 8,200rpm VooDoo swap into a C8-Z51.
They won’t have to. They can just wait for the Z06 or Grand Sport with a 5.5L FPC. That’s my current plan.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
The comparison now is to see how the GT 500 will compare to the C8 and it's performance versions. The 350 is now irrelevant.same price as a C8 and not even close otherwise. I think there are going to be a load of used 350s sitting on lots collecting dust.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The comparison now is to see how the GT 500 will compare to the C8 and it's performance versions. The 350 is now irrelevant.same price as a C8 and not even close otherwise. I think there are going to be a load of used 350s sitting on lots collecting dust.
Not if you want a manual, or if you don't want a 6,500rpm truck engine in your sports car. The GT350 has a far better sound and is outright a better engine.

You don't know if the C8 is faster than a GT350.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As much as I would love to have a new C8, or even a C7, I just couldn't do it.

There's just something about the "somewhat" practical nature of the Mustang. I still love the nice big trunk, and fold down seats for long items in a pinch.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Not if you want a manual, or if you don't want a 6,500rpm truck engine in your sports car. The GT350 has a far better sound and is outright a better engine.

You don't know if the C8 is faster than a GT350.
This is interesting in a couple respects. On one hand one could say that describing a Corvette engine as a truck engine is a clear revelation of not understanding anything about engine design. The fact that the Corvette engine and Chevy GMC truck engines are designed by the same group of engineers from the same block design is different from the idea that they would use the same rotating parts (pistons, rods, cranks, camshafts) and breathing elements (heads, valves, intakes, exhausts). News flash...they don’t.

On the other hand, let’s assume that the Corvette engine is a truck engine. So Shelby owners should feel good about the prospect of getting smoked by small fiberglass cars running truck engines?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
This is interesting in a couple respects. On one hand one could say that describing a Corvette engine as a truck engine is a clear revelation of not understanding anything about engine design. The fact that the Corvette engine and Chevy GMC truck engines are designed by the same group of engineers from the same block design is different from the idea that they would use the same rotating parts (pistons, rods, cranks, camshafts) and breathing elements (heads, valves, intakes, exhausts). News flash...they don’t.

On the other hand, let’s assume that the Corvette engine is a truck engine. So Shelby owners should feel good about the prospect of getting smoked by small fiberglass cars running truck engines?
Calm down. It was a facetious comment based off such a low redline for a mid engine sportscar.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
C3DA1003-1F08-4D44-8F34-F15BDE994350.png
So can Ford? That's not unique to Chevy, but it is less likely since the Corvette is a model of its own. Trying to order a ZR1 will be difficult. Ordering anything less, like a standard C8 or an option like a Z51 won't be.

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm#pricing

Scroll to ineligible products. The GT500 will not qualify for any AXZ plan. Find an invoice that shows the pricing and a dealer's signature on it if you still don't believe it.
Neither the GT350.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Listen. That is dry weight. Will all fluids it with be around 3600 pounds. About 500 pounds less then the GT500.
The 2020 GT500 will crush the new Corvette in everything except 0-60. That will be close.
Yes it will - and the Easter Bunny is going to bring me lots of chocolate, and if I'm a good boy, Santa will bring me a choo-choo train this year.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.