Sponsored

Is a GT350 right for me?

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
Looking at a new left over 18 gt350 for 57grand. I have never owned a mustang and always hated them for the solid rear axel, bad brakes, heavy and low power. Im an ex pro road racer and driver coach and never drove a modified one at the track even, really only exotics and germans. I used to have a c6 z06 that I loved for a daily driver and would do occasional 10lap sprints when coaching at the track. It never overheated coolant or engine/diff/trans oil ever. Was going to gt a new 19 z06 manual but they still overheat with an intermediate driver, let alone someone who's going to be pushing it for its life....

So here comes the gt350, its got floating rotors and decent calipers, indy rear end, mechanical lsd, 530hp, but its pretty heavy at 3750. I think it COULD be the right car for me as a 5k mile yr daily driver between my home in Florida and house in country side of pa. I have heard of engine issues with these and some complains of oil temps by better than average drivers.

I want to know really what im getting into for this thing. I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE IT INTO A "TRACK CAR" but it NEEDS to be able to be driven 10/10ths by a pro for a solid 20minutes in 95* heat at PBIR/homestead Miami which are very hard on temps tracks (hi speed hi revs hi brake)

I dont want to do anything to this car just the basics reflash, tint, rbf600 lines pads and call it a day. Is this reasonable or do I need to get additional oil coolers and other things? I have also considered getting a GT performance pack for 43grand and putting 14k into it but I want a warranty, that's horrible for resale value as ill only have this car 1 yr max, plus im just completely and utterly burned out of working on and building race cars.

Im still not sure its the right car for me, I really loved my c6 z06 and for 5k more than this gt350 I can get a 2k mile c6 zr1..

Thanks gents.
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I would skip the reflash unless you're doing intake and headers. Not a lot to really gain from a basic flash. I'd stick to the tint, pads and fluid. Factory lines are really good on the car and I don't think I feel the need to ever upgraded to braided stainless lines at this point in time.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
"High oil temps" is a relative term these days especially with so much use of aluminum. Gone are the days where 230 degrees was an emergency. I'd consider myself a decent driver but far from expert. No temp issues ever. The 350 puts power down better than the C6 Z but the Z will probably feel faster. The 350 has better balance in my humble opinion and I can only comment on the Z on autocross.

Btw, doesn't the ZR1 heat soak badly?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would skip the reflash unless you're doing intake and headers. Not a lot to really gain from a basic flash.
Nonsense. There's more to it than just power too which is plenty healthy anyway. 20 RWHP for $400 or so is the best performance per dollar ratio you can get.

OP
OP
GCBC

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
the zr1's ive driven were all stock or only a flash and exhaust. It was making less power after the first 3-4 laps but never got any warnings or saw 280+ on anything.

agreed, I do the tunes on cars mainly to eliminate things like 1-3rd gear torque limiters where car pulls timing and other emissions or nannie based things. I want it to rev cleanly when I roll it on anytime at any rpm under any load and not having it conceded about emissions.

the z06/zr1 are very comfortable dailys and honestly look a lot "better" to me and I got 31mpg hwy in my mildly modified Z. I just want something a little different. I had ever BMW as well. Im looking at this gt350 as basically the same car my heavily modded e92 m3 was but with this motor being stronger everywhere. and this costing 40k less.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Nonsense. There's more to it than just power too which is plenty healthy anyway. 20 RWHP for $400 or so is the best performance per dollar ratio you can get.
Coming from a 660whp GT500 the GT350 has plenty of power for it's task. Given I still have factory warranty left, I'm not interested in 20hp to throw away the warranty. On the GT500 a pulley, intake and tune gained over 100whp and the warranty was already gone anyway after I owned it for 4 months so there was no hesitation.

For the GT350 I'll be doing headers and rear gears for sound and the ability to run the car through the gears even more than i do now while under warranty. Then once warranty is up i'll do the intake and the tune to maximize power gains.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
It sounds like the GT350 would be right up your alley for the type of driving you are looking to do with it. Adding the few mods you've mentioned would also definitely be a great place to start. These cars are already up to the task and then some for the most part from the factory, but there is always room for improvements that is for sure. We offer some phenomenal custom tuning for the GT350 that can be used with 91, 93, 100+ octane race fuel and even a true E85 Flex fuel tune that can be done remotely with no additional modifications required as well using our all new Mycalibrator Touch tuning devices. The 93 tune alone on these car gains are in upwards of 33 rwhp 58 rwtq peak with maximum gains at points of 53 rwhp and 63 rwtq.

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Honestly, I think you should get the corvette. Your settling for something you aren’t really enthusiastic about.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Get an R if you are a pro looking for 10/10ths.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GCBC

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
Not going to spend 75k on a mustang. mid 50s for a new one is more than pushing it. its 20grand more than a performance pk to begin with, could have 2x GT pp's for the price of an R.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It sounds like the GT350 would be right up your alley for the type of driving you are looking to do with it. Adding the few mods you've mentioned would also definitely be a great place to start. These cars are already up to the task and then some for the most part from the factory, but there is always room for improvements that is for sure. We offer some phenomenal custom tuning for the GT350 that can be used with 91, 93, 100+ octane race fuel and even a true E85 Flex fuel tune that can be done remotely with no additional modifications required as well using our all new Mycalibrator Touch tuning devices. The 93 tune alone on these car gains are in upwards of 33 rwhp 58 rwtq peak with maximum gains at points of 53 rwhp and 63 rwtq.
Silly question, but just the tune offers 33whp, but the 570 package with custom tuning and the intake/thermostat offers 35whp.

33whp seems like a lot for an out of the box tune. Great power if true.

Was the before dyno done with 91octane?

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had the c6 z06 and the 2015 z/28. That 427 engine is nothing but kick in the ass power compared to the gt350. You can also mod the hell out of it with out much worrying. The gt350 is much more of a rev out track car than a feel the power car. I got it because it looks and sounds great and I’m no longer going to track my cars (cost too much for the ROI). I paid 61k out the door for a fully loaded 2019 gt350, with the newer block. I figured with the 2019 they did the final refresh for the best gt350 ever, so I would get a 19 over a 18. If not a2019 then I would get the corvette, which has already reach market bottom. In a few years it’s value may go up. With the 18 it will be going down for at least 5 more years.

Last edited:

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
In post #3 you mentioned MPG. This flat plane crank monster IMHO gets lousy gas mileage. I had a C6 Corvette and it got 30 on the highway all day long. My GT350 gets 20 on the highway if you work at it. Would I trade it for a Corvette???? Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
OP,

I think you can do a little better than $57k on a left over 18 GT350. There are deals out there for 19's as well. As for which year is better? The 18's are just fine. Upgraded ring and piston packs. I've not seen or heard of any problems. The 19's are a little more suspect in my opinion from where there have been issues from the factory. Whether it's been shifters, steering wheels, sit time in the elements, etc. I recently posted about a 19 GT350R that came to a local dealership unfinished. It literally had no CF wing and no back seat panel. I dunno what happened between MY 18 and MY 19 production but I feel 19's just didn't get the same efficiency on the assembly line as the 18's. From my point of view, the only attractive thing about the 19's is the B&O sound system and new colors.

As far as the C6 Z06, they've had their head valve issues. Great low end TQ that's typical for GM. You're not going to get that low end TQ feel with the 350. The GT350 is best at 4k rpm and above. If I'm looking at regular 19 GT350 for the low to mid $60K area then I'm probably also looking for a leftover 18 GT350R.
Sponsored