Sponsored

Tomorrow, the new custom exhaust goes on, fingers crossed.

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
So I purchased my 2016 GT PP1 about 3 weeks ago, and talked the dealer down $1500 due to the wake the dead exhaust combo on the car now, which is:

Stock exhaust manifolds / stock cats
Resonator delete, welded in H pipe
Welded in Flowmaster 40 mufflers

I am 41, and in my younger days (when did I get old?) I would have loved this combo. However it sets off alarms, has a mega raspy tone above 4K, drones horribly at 2K and is a total magnet for any and all attention, even when driving slow and mellow.

So, I am taking a chance on a new custom cat-back exhaust combo which should be under $600 for the parts and labor installed when completed (maybe $650). Now I know there are a ton of cat-backs available for the S550, but honestly I think this will work really well, sound good, and cost $900 less.

First, I chose the Magnaflow 11386 resonated X pipe (Tru-X) for the resonator mid section to quiet the rasp and cold startup.

Second, for the mufflers, I chose the Borla ProXS 40358's.

Finished off with the surprisingly excellent quality and low cost Jones Exhaust JST-139 stainless tips (2.5" inlet, 4" Outlet).

I have the appointment tomorrow to have the above parts welded in to tame the beast. I am hoping that this combo will still give a nice deep tone, but really mellow out the overall volume. I will post back with the results, I really am looking forward to the change.
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I'm interested in how it sounds I'm considering doing a very similar thing. Post some videos!

Are those mufflers the correct fit as far as where the pipes enter and exit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcl78

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in how it sounds I'm considering doing a very similar thing. Post some videos!

Are those mufflers the correct fit as far as where the pipes enter and exit?
What was interesting is I couldn't find the stock muffler dimensions, so I researched other cat-backs and measured what was on the car now. The Borla 40358's are exactly the same size as the Flowmaster 40's on there now, which used the stock piping. The stock mufflers are center inlet / offset outlet, which the current 40's are, and so are the Borla's.

Case size is 14" long x 4" tall x 9.5" wide (overall length is 19"). American Muscle has these in stock as well, which states that they do fit (universal) the 2015 - 17 S550's.

If I run into any issues tomorrow, I will let you know, but should be a perfect fit.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
I noticed a big difference going from my axle back to adding an H-Pipe and can see how some people wouldn't like it.

With you going for the Magnaflow Tru-X, it will cut out a lot of that noise that you don't like. I have heard a friend's car @Martinnfb that went with the Tru-X and it's got a nice startup/idle and rev tone to it....while not being obnoxious.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Curious too. I purchased a set of the Borla proXS for my sons ‘01 GT and on that car they were fairly quiet. But, with this motor it should be a little louder. On the 4.6 they had a nice sound, but just a tad louder than the OE mufflers.

I thought about doing the same thing as you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jcl78

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, she's on the lift. They said there are no issues with part fitment, will be done in three hours. I was talking to the shop owner, and he was saying how much resonance the new Coyote's put out, he thinks it will smooth out everything really nicely.

Part of me will miss the old exhaust setup, it did sound like hellfire.I will post some sound clips as soon as I can, of course it is so hard to capture the true sound of exhaust.

OP
OP
jcl78

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Back from the shop, wow what a difference! I will grab some video as soon as I can, but I will describe the changes as best I can.

First off, they really set the tips flush with the rear valance, the old tips were sticking way out, perfectly centered, the welds are top notch. Everything fit with no issues.

Cold startup surprised me, because I was still bracing for the roar to life, but it fired up with no drama, and settled into a nice burble. Definitely doesn't sound stock, but is very civilized.

On the drive home, my wife drove beside me and I punched the gas, she said it sounded "exotic" and not raspy or "mega loud" like before.

It feels faster because I am able to drive normally without worrying about every police officer in a mile radius craning their neck when I get on the gas.

No drone at any RPM, I can listen to the radio while cruising. It is a tad bittersweet because the younger man in me loved the roar, but this exhaust setup is a winner in every other way. It is very similar to the Borla Touring cat back if I had to choose a close tone, but still different. Don't go this route if you want to hear the exhaust over everything else! Mission accomplished to tone the drone and still sound good. More updates to follow.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Stock exhaust manifolds / stock cats
Resonator delete, welded in H pipe
Welded in Flowmaster 40 mufflers

I am 41, and in my younger days (when did I get old?) I would have loved this combo. However it sets off alarms, has a mega raspy tone above 4K, drones horribly at 2K and is a total magnet for any and all attention, even when driving slow and mellow.
That’s interesting as I had the exact same setup, but instead of the Flowmaster 40 mufflers (2 chambers), I had the Flowmaster 10 mufflers (1 chamber) mid-mounted, and I thought it was way too quiet. I think the setup is a total magnet for a different reason as the chambered Flowmasters make the Coyote sound raspy, tinny, and unpleasant, like a V6 above 4,000 rpms.

OP
OP
jcl78

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s interesting as I had the exact same setup, but instead of the Flowmaster 40 mufflers (2 chambers), I had the Flowmaster 10 mufflers (1 chamber) mid-mounted, and I thought it was way too quiet. I think the setup is a total magnet for a different reason as the chambered Flowmasters make the Coyote sound raspy, tinny, and unpleasant, like a V6 above 4,000 rpms.
Yeah that is interesting! Mid mounting must make a huge difference in that case, the 10's should be wicked loud. I agree with the tinny, unpleasant sound above 4k, mine sounded like crackles in a coffee can. The cruising sound was good though, save for the drone. What are you running now?

Just came back from dinner with the family and this setup is really growing on me. Where the old setup would hit that major resonance from 1800 - 2k, this has a nice deep growl, just enough to let you know that it is there. Opening it up, it really just stays the same volume, but sounds great as RPMs rise. I'm doing a cold startup vid tomorrow morning, and hopefully some driving vids as well.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You can always weld in some cutouts that you can open for when you want it louder. Sound sound good with the resonated x pipe. Looking forward to the sound vids

Sponsored
OP
OP
jcl78

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can always weld in some cutouts that you can open for when you want it louder. Sound sound good with the resonated x pipe. Looking forward to the sound vids
Hey Andy,

Yeah, that is definitely on the radar, looking at those dual QTP's with a switch in the cabin.

I apologize for the quality of the sound clips and Vimeo, but here is the cold startup with my daughter saying "It's not as loud" haha: and a short takeoff video: I can always take more.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Hey Andy,

Yeah, that is definitely on the radar, looking at those dual QTP's with a switch in the cabin.

I apologize for the quality of the sound clips and Vimeo, but here is the cold startup with my daughter saying "It's not as loud" haha. I can always take more.
That sounds excellent!

OP
OP
jcl78

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update: loving this combo. Very cruise friendly, all drone is gone. I purposely dipped into the areas with the most drone on the other setup, just sounds deep, without any of the ear splitting resonance. Zero nails in a coffee can rasp, and I have taken it all the way through the rev range. It seems to have broken in a bit, and is a tad louder than when first put on. It also saved me from a ticket, I was cruising at 5 over the limit (without realizing it) cresting a hill, and bam, police cruiser sitting there, cruised on by, no issues. I really do believe with the other setup he would have pulled me over in a heartbeat. I told my wife to put $180 towards the price of the exhaust for that one, and she then scolded me about speeding, ha, I shouldn't have said anything. I love the intake noise you can now hear in conjunction with this setup, it sounds really good. I would definitely recommend this option as something nicer sounding than the stock 2015 - 2017 GT exhaust, that won't break the bank, or your eardrums.
Sponsored