Sponsored

Metal Shavings in dipstick?

stangpede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / PPP
Just like the title says ...

I have a stock 2015 mustang GT PP with only minor suspension mods.
45k miles.

I’ve done my own oil changes and couldn’t notice shavings in the pan when I drain it.
But every time I pull the dipstick in and out, I notice a “scratchy” or “scrape” sound right on the bend of the tube.

I assume my next step should be sending a sample of my used oil to a lab, but I am curious if anybody else has ran into this situation and if the dealer warrantied it . I bought an extended warranty.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You're just hearing the dip stick rubbing against the tube. No metal particles in your oil, then nothing to worry about. Send in an oil sample if it will help you sleep at night. :handshake:

OP
OP

stangpede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / PPP
You're just hearing the dip stick rubbing against the tube. No metal particles in your oil, then nothing to worry about. Send in an oil sample if it will help you sleep at night. :handshake:
I really want to believe this, but i’ve tried re-creating the sound around the tube and couldn’t. It sounds like metal rubbing on sand ha.

If it’s common and every Mustang sounds like so, I will be so relieved. But yeah I plan to send in a sample of my oil on my next change.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yup. Mine makes the same scraping noise going through the tube too.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Wait, do you actually see metal shavings on the dipstick, or are you just saying that the dipstick is making a metal sound when it rubs against the tube?

If it's the latter, it's obviously normal because... metal to metal contact.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stangpede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / PPP
Wait, do you actually see metal shavings on the dipstick, or are you just saying that the dipstick is making a metal sound when it rubs against the tube?

If it's the latter, it's obviously normal because... metal to metal contact.
Just sound. But the dipstick end is smooth and it doesn’t sound like a smooth scrape. It’s sounds like sands in there ha or metal shavings.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
If you want to ease your mind, you can pick up a boroscope from Amazon for ~ $20 and put it down in the tube. But I think you're being a bit paranoid.
Sponsored