OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2016 Hellcat Charger, 2020 mustang GT
no oil consumption test that I know of, I just don't think I should have to do that test with the problems I'm already having and the sounds coming from the engine.

Edit: "They" is the dealer i am currently working with
Sponsored

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
I agree with Xanchromo, drive the car while going through the dealer’s process. I wouldn’t worry one bit about 100 miles on the car/engine. It’s not an exotic, its just a tarted up mustang rental. Albeit with a special drivetrain. Though yours is extra special.

The bottom line is you can bang your head against a problem you cant resolve, making everyone involved miserable or you can sit back and relax and go through the process with them. The engine will either let go, be replaced, or be fixed. Don’t worry about the car depreciating, its going to do that because its a mustang.
not necessarily caring about the miles on the car, just don't want the dealer ragging the hell out of it.

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I just don't think I should have to do that test with the problems I'm already having and the sounds coming from the engine.
You shouldn't. That's why I think your dealer is avoiding the diagnosis for some reason. Either take the car to a different dealer or ask the Regional Service Manager to meet you there for a test drive. Not sure why they wouldn't want a warranty repair on a Shelby - unless they've never done one before and aren't sure they have someone onsite who can handle it.
not necessarily caring about the miles on the car, just don't want the dealer ragging the hell out of it.
The engine is about to blow so I'm not sure what you're worried about. I don't think they really wanted to put 100 miles on your car with dealership personnel. They're not making any money while that's going on. Most folks who have been asked to do an oil consumption test have put the miles on themselves after the dealer topped off the oil and marked the dipstick. Ford has replaced a bunch of 2016 engines for a variety of reasons - just jump through the hoops and you'll have a brand new 2019 GT350R motor with a GT500 block. Get to a dealer who wants that business! :like:

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
You shouldn't. That's why I think your dealer is avoiding the diagnosis for some reason. Either take the car to a different dealer or ask the Regional Service Manager to meet you there for a test drive. Not sure why they wouldn't want a warranty repair on a Shelby - unless they've never done one before and aren't sure they have someone onsite who can handle it.

The engine is about to blow so I'm not sure what you're worried about. I don't think they really wanted to put 100 miles on your car with dealership personnel. They're not making any money while that's going on. Most folks who have been asked to do an oil consumption test have put the miles on themselves after the dealer topped off the oil and marked the dipstick. Ford has replaced a bunch of 2016 engines for a variety of reasons - just jump through the hoops and you'll have a brand new 2019 GT350R motor with a GT500 block. Get to a dealer who wants that business! :like:
sounds like a plan to me, i am going to go drive the 100 miles with them in the car on like a highway drive as someone mentioned I should do. Hopefully, after that we will be all good for a new motor.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You need to have them do an official oil consumption test. They cant refuse to do that. Its a process, and for me it too two 500 mile stints.....but I did it and got a new motor. If its burning 1 quart per 100 miles, that's pretty obvious. Mine was at 1 quart per 125 miles. Its a sort of a pain in the ass to do the two 500 mile drives, but in each case I did it in one weekend to get it over with. Pick a local loop where you will be within cell coverage in case the motor pukes out a rod, which it probably will given that nasty sound it makes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
You need to have them do an official oil consumption test. They cant refuse to do that. Its a process, and for me it too two 500 mile stints.....but I did it and got a new motor. If its burning 1 quart per 100 miles, that's pretty obvious. Mine was at 1 quart per 125 miles. Its a sort of a pain in the ass to do the two 500 mile drives, but in each case I did it in one weekend to get it over with. Pick a local loop where you will be within cell coverage in case the motor pukes out a rod, which it probably will given that nasty sound it makes.
Did you WOT the whole time? I’m thinking about doing exactly what you said, calling the dealer later today to arrange it

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
No, regular driving on city, urban, and twisty backroads......I was monitoring the oil consumption on my own.....and had receipts of oil I bought at the dealer. But as others said, it takes an official dealer consumption test to get a new motor. Go to them, request it.....they top off the oil.....mark the dipstick.....and you go drive, show back up to the dealer at 500 miles....use the trip odometer to keep track......don't open the hood or even check the oil level yourself while you do the test. Don't touch it. Once its confirmed to be above the 1 quart per 500 miles.....they send a report to Ford corporate and they determine to replace the motor.....NOT the dealer. Then you wait a week or so for the motor to get there.....then about two or three days for the install.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
No, regular driving on city, urban, and twisty backroads......I was monitoring the oil consumption on my own.....and had receipts of oil I bought at the dealer. But as others said, it takes an official dealer consumption test to get a new motor. Go to them, request it.....they top off the oil.....mark the dipstick.....and you go drive, show back up to the dealer at 500 miles....use the trip odometer to keep track......don't open the hood or even check the oil level yourself while you do the test. Don't touch it. Once its confirmed to be above the 1 quart per 500 miles.....they send a report to Ford corporate and they determine to replace the motor.....NOT the dealer. Then you wait a week or so for the motor to get there.....then about two or three days for the install.
They told me the noise was completely normal, and I am doing an oil consumption test now.

RaceRedGT!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Mine is going in the shop for cam phasers replacement. Mine has that noise on startup only... might be a similar issue.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
They told me the noise was completely normal, and I am doing an oil consumption test now.
Find a new dealer. Whatever dealer doesn't know the sound of rod knock wouldn't ever hear from me again (or any of my friends, neighbors, coworkers, or anyone I could get to listen).

Edit: hard to tell with the video moving, but might be a loose timing chain. Is it coming from the front of the engine or the bottom of the engine?

Sponsored
OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Hard to tell just know it’s coming from the engine bay

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Hard to tell just know it’s coming from the engine bay
That does not sound “normal”. No correctly running stock GT350 I have ever heard sounds that bad. Yea there is a TSB about piston slap, but that ain’t it. Just YouTube piston slap. Sounds different.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Kyle - sorry for your trouble. Curious what dealer you are having trouble with. No real dog in the fight or issues with my car but curious if it's a dealer in my area I might want to avoid. PM me if you prefer not to publicize it.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Kyle - sorry for your trouble. Curious what dealer you are having trouble with. No real dog in the fight or issues with my car but curious if it's a dealer in my area I might want to avoid. PM me if you prefer not to publicize it.
Screw that..........call their name out loud.

Lots of us from the Central US region here......

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Screw that..........call their name out loud.

Lots of us from the Central US region here......
I don’t mind telling anyone, it’s the dealership in Fayetteville Arkansas. LEWIS FORD
Sponsored