Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
What... is not worth pushing the engine to that extreme? Many others who own Mustangs, upgrade their components with better stuff. The $5k price is more than just a Ford Performance engine.

The HPO is an easy tick of the options, for anyone who wants to buy a performance turbo Mustang. And not build one.
The web is riddled with videos of Mustang (and other car) owners who are having to rebuild/repair/replace their engine/vehicle in the aftermath of pushing the engine to the extreme. Just sayin’.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The web is riddled with videos of Mustang (and other car) owners who are having to rebuild/repair/replace their engine/vehicle in the aftermath of pushing the engine to the extreme. Just sayin’.
Hence.. High Performance 2.3.

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Happens all the time if you don't build the complete performance package and just short cut everything to get high HP the engine will come apart.

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
What does a Tune+ built engine produce... & how is the HPO any less capable..?
because we literally have no idea what the differences there are between the hipo engine and the regular EB engine? you are making blind assumptions off of marketing materials

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Anybody seen any reviews of these new high performance package cars ? Im interested to see what they are like compared to existing tuned ecoboosts like my Roush RS1.

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
I am excited about these EB HPP Stangs, I am just glad that Ford is continuing to put out high performance vehicles. My buddy has a 2017 Focus ST with a big turbo pushing 24 lbs of boost, and that little 2.0L would take my 16 GT no doubt. The 2.3 in the Focus RS has had issues of course, mainly with the head gasket, but I know the EB Stangs have faired better in that department. There are a few Youtube videos out where Ford had a track day with the new HP EB, seems like a very nice package.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
because we literally have no idea what the differences there are between the hipo engine and the regular EB engine? you are making blind assumptions off of marketing materials
No, you mean YOU have no idea... or still pretending to have no idea.

The rest of us have seen the videos, listen to Carl and other engineers and have an understanding of what the $5k HPP/HPO gets and what the new engine is made out of and who designed the new engine. It is ok to ask... if you truly don't know, but don't continue to play at not knowing. But eventually you will have to come to terms that "marketing" from Ford motor company engineers mouths = reality.

New block
New pistons
New turbo
New cooling

The 2.3 HPP will most likely have dual-injection too.... since almost all of Ford's EB have this now.

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
ah got it, you're just going to regurgitate the same response

personally, i will wait until it's out and someone tears one down to see what changes. the numbers simply don't add up, there's no reason to upgrade all of those components for a measly 20 hp at the crank. i'd love to be proven wrong and for the hipo to be a super sturdy block that you can get 450 whp without having to build, though i'm guessing the aftermarket options will be superior

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
ah got it, you're just going to regurgitate the same response

personally, i will wait until it's out and someone tears one down to see what changes. the numbers simply don't add up, there's no reason to upgrade all of those components for a measly 20 hp at the crank. i'd love to be proven wrong and for the hipo to be a super sturdy block that you can get 450 whp without having to build, though i'm guessing the aftermarket options will be superior

Oh, I get it now.
You are just ignoring facts, because you think the HPP's "projected" horsepower figures, were the actual numbers....? Everybody in the industry understands when they say "estimated" it means they are underrating it until a later date in which the actual HPP's numbers can be released.

So in essence, you do beleive the facts, you just think the engine is underrated for it's projected HP. Which is what everybody beleives and the whole point of playing it humble. Why go through all of this, when a $500 Ford tune does the same thing...? right..?

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
No, you mean YOU have no idea... or still pretending to have no idea.

The rest of us have seen the videos, listen to Carl and other engineers and have an understanding of what the $5k HPP/HPO gets and what the new engine is made out of and who designed the new engine. It is ok to ask... if you truly don't know, but don't continue to play at not knowing. But eventually you will have to come to terms that "marketing" from Ford motor company engineers mouths = reality.

New block
New pistons
New turbo
New cooling

The 2.3 HPP will most likely have dual-injection too.... since almost all of Ford's EB have this now.
There are already interviews with Fords Chief Engineer for the 2.3L HPP project and it is simply just a Focus RS engine adapted for the longitudinal layout of the mustang.

So:

New block - NO, same open deck block.
New pistons - Yes RS has different pistons from the normal 2.3L as far as I know
New turbo - Yes, 5% larger compressor wheel
New cooling - Not "new" but modified cooling lines and head gasket as per Focus RS
Dual Injection - No, the RS does not have this and the 2.3L platform would need significant changes for this.

We will likely see a new block and head in the new engine version of the Ecoboost mustang which is probably still many years away.

So overall its a decent upgrade, but its not going to help for doing big power builds. The Turbo however should lend itself well to aftermarket tuning since Ford has tuned it to give power upto redline at the expense of some peak HP.
If youre chasing HP the aftermarket guys can push the turbo harder earlier in the RPM and create a big power spike ( at the expense of gassing out the turbo at high RPM like with standard ecoboost tunes).

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I am excited about these EB HPP Stangs, I am just glad that Ford is continuing to put out high performance vehicles. My buddy has a 2017 Focus ST with a big turbo pushing 24 lbs of boost, and that little 2.0L would take my 16 GT no doubt. The 2.3 in the Focus RS has had issues of course, mainly with the head gasket, but I know the EB Stangs have faired better in that department. There are a few Youtube videos out where Ford had a track day with the new HP EB, seems like a very nice package.
The head gasket problems with the Focus RS were the result of mistaken identity. Some genius put Mustang 2.3 head gaskets on the Focus 2.3 engine thus causing the failure since they are not identical head gaskets.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
There are already interviews with Fords Chief Engineer for the 2.3L HPP project and it is simply just a Focus RS engine adapted for the longitudinal layout of the mustang.

So:

New block - NO, same open deck block.
New pistons - Yes RS has different pistons from the normal 2.3L as far as I know
New turbo - Yes, 5% larger compressor wheel
New cooling - Not "new" but modified cooling lines and head gasket as per Focus RS
Dual Injection - No, the RS does not have this and the 2.3L platform would need significant changes for this.

We will likely see a new block and head in the new engine version of the Ecoboost mustang which is probably still many years away.

So overall its a decent upgrade, but its not going to help for doing big power builds. The Turbo however should lend itself well to aftermarket tuning since Ford has tuned it to give power upto redline at the expense of some peak HP.
If youre chasing HP the aftermarket guys can push the turbo harder earlier in the RPM and create a big power spike ( at the expense of gassing out the turbo at high RPM like with standard ecoboost tunes).

Source please...
Because we were told by Carl that Ford performance got a hold and redesigned the block.

Carl said that when they put an RS engine longitudinal in the Mustang they new they wanted to take it farther... so new block, new piston, new intercooler, new etc..
Did you watch the videos of the Mustang HPP/HPO on track revving well past 6 grand..?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Source please...
Because we were told by Carl that Ford performance got a hold and redesigned the block.

Carl said that when they put an RS engine longitudinal in the Mustang they new they wanted to take it farther... so new block, new piston, new intercooler, new etc..
Did you watch the videos of the Mustang HPP/HPO on track revving well past 6 grand..?
They originally modified an RS block for RWD. It rocked so they recast the Focus RS for RWD application in 10 months. While there are some differences I would consider this a different version of the same RS block.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
They originally modified an RS block for RWD. It rocked so they recast the Focus RS for RWD application in 10 months. While there are some differences I would consider this a different version of the same RS block.
Correct. Re-casted was the term I heard from a reliable source. Which is exactly what Carl suggested, that Ford Performance shored up some shortcomings in the 2.3 block, to make it more robust and stronger. And while at it, added new pistons and added a bigger turbo so that the 2.3 can stretch it legs.

So, the rhetorical question remains, if everyone is using the 2.0 block for re-builds, doesn't Carl & Ford Performance also know this? So if Ford went through the effort of a re-cast, then I am sure they corrected a few weak spots, since they have access to CFD, etc.

So if recasted, only a fool would suggest they didn't add a little more beef where needed.
Sponsored