Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28158001/ford-mach-e-future-electric-suv/

Ford Mach E Rendering.jpg

The 2021 Ford Mach E Will Combine Electric Power with Mustang-Esque Styling
Ford has promised that its new electric crossover is coming soon with 300 miles of driving range.

• Ford is planning to release a new all-electric crossover with styling inspired by the Mustang.
  • It could possibly wear the name Mach E and is expected to have a driving range of 300 miles on a single charge.
  • Look for the Mach E to arrive in 2020 with a starting price around $40,000.

It's no secret that Ford is working on a new electric crossover, with a styling assist from the Mustang. Allegedly, it puts enough of an emphasis on performance that the name Mach 1 was briefly considered (and quickly dropped due to backlash). But even if applying that name to this creation was deemed too heretical—Mach E is reportedly still in the running as an alternative—Ford is keen to connect it to classic Mustang design cues, such as the familiar three-bar taillights and fastback roofline. There's no grille at the front, but there is a pony.

Now that all its fuel-efficient passenger cars are exiting stage left, Ford needs to prove that it is still committed to greenery. And it's crucial that this new EV be desirable, hence the grafted-on Mustang heritage.

Ford has a plan to eventually migrate all global products onto five vehicle architectures. This crossover will use one of these: a dedicated EV platform designed from the outset to accommodate a battery pack. So far, all Ford has promised is a driving range of 300 miles on a charge, which will likely mean a 100.0-kWh battery, the size that's in a Tesla Model S Long Range. Two electric motors, one up front and one in the rear, should be on hand to provide all-wheel drive.

This new model will aim at currently available EVs such as the Chevrolet Bolt EV, Hyundai Kona Electric, and Kia Niro EV, along with the upcoming Tesla Model Y crossover scheduled to go on sale next year.

Ford has dabbled in this field with low-range attempts such as the Focus Electric and the Energi plug-in hybrids, but it will be arriving late to the long-range-EV party. If the Mach E's gestation continues for much longer, the pace of the market's evolution means it could end up being uncompetitive by the time it arrives. Expect it to start somewhere around $40,000 when it arrives in 2020.
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I may buy one when time comes, my DD is 7 years 160k now. I would have zero qualms buying one of these on a leftover from first year. Not sure what's involved with installing a electrical outlet, or if I am able to run an extension cord into driveway as I don't park my DD in garage. Unsure, but I will definitely be interested in finding out the exact cost of all this.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
That article is dated today, but I would swear that I read it weeks ago.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I think that might a nice family vehicle, if you are a commuter.

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on the fence regarding the pony on the front, if the rendering is close I'd be in to lease one, see how it works out and then buy the newest version after the lease runs out.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If it's quick and sporty looking it will sell well. I agree don't use the mustang heritage for it. Go for another or start a new one.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That's fine and all but take the god damn pony off of it you dense bastards.
borrowing successful design language? fine. Using direct mustang branding? nah.
THIS!

For 55 years, Mustang as been a sporty "personal" car......a 2+2 coupe or convertible. Please don't water down 55 years of success by putting the pony on this car.

If its good, it'll sell without the Mustang connection.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
THIS!

For 55 years, Mustang as been a sporty "personal" car......a 2+2 coupe or convertible. Please don't water down 55 years of success by putting the pony on this car.

If its good, it'll sell without the Mustang connection.
Exactly. If they just make it look good and drive well it'll sell itself. Having the pony on the 'grill' is just foolish and unnecessary. I'm sure they have graphic designer just make a Mach-E logo of its own. having the pony on the front is just cheesy and obnoxious.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Exactly. If they just make it look good and drive well it'll sell itself. Having the pony on the 'grill' is just foolish and unnecessary. I'm sure they have graphic designer just make a Mach-E logo of its own. having the pony on the front is just cheesy and obnoxious.
Bye,Bye Mustang,Ford is going to KILL it, an electric Mustang,what a sad day,and it's way UGLY also,Dodge Challenger will be the only one left standing !!!!!

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it's going to happen. Not good
1965-four-door-mustang.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I'm...fine with this. Seems like a good daily I would purchase, after it goes through its first model year. Definitely should not put a pony emblem on it though!
Sponsored