Excessive Brake dust sticking to PP front wheels

Ass-asin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premier PP1 Magnetic Gray
How do y’all keep the brake dust from clinging to your Black PP wheels? It seems I can wash them and two days later they’re covered again with brake dust.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Normal. Just wash your wheels.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I tried that brake dust repellant stuff and it does nothing that I could detect. It is very thin just like water and seems to disappear really quickly. A track day completely overwhelmed it and the wheels looked like they always do after a track day. But even on the street it didn't do anything useful that I could see. The PP pads do make a lot of dust but they are a very good HPDE/lapping day pad, easy on the rotors and last very well.

OP you have just discovered another good reason to get rid of the heavy PP rims and buy some lighter aftermarket wheels and tires in a much wider size and improve both the looks and driveability of your pony and as a nice bonus they will be much easier to clean (if you choose wisely).

OP
OP

Ass-asin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premier PP1 Magnetic Gray
I tried that brake dust repellant stuff and it does nothing that I could detect. It is very thin just like water and seems to disappear really quickly. A track day completely overwhelmed it and the wheels looked like they always do after a track day. But even on the street it didn't do anything useful that I could see. The PP pads do make a lot of dust but they are a very good HPDE/lapping day pad, easy on the rotors and last very well.

OP you have just discovered another good reason to get rid of the heavy PP rims and buy some lighter aftermarket wheels and tires in a much wider size and improve both the looks and driveability of your pony and as a nice bonus they will be much easier to clean (if you choose wisely).
I don’t think I’m to that point yet. I think I’ll clean them really good and then ceramic coat them. That should at least make the cleaning easier.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have the California Special wheels on a regular GT. Had the entire wheel done with ceramic. Cleaning is super easy, 5 minute a wheel/tire tops with wheel woolies.
13.jpg

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've already wrecked my front wheels with swirls galore... oh well. You'd think the things were matte black 90% of the time anyways lol.

I've also heard ceramic coating helps with the brake dust, as a consideration other than just saying "live with it."

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Different brake pads!!!

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Two days? A drive to the corner store and they're covered. Lol.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Changed the pads out to powerstop z26’s.

I couldn’t handle the fact that I’d clean the wheels and then by the time I drove five miles they were dusty again.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I use pinnacle souveran wax on the wheels
Don't track the car,but they keep clean in normal driving.just put a hose on them,take a 5 minute drive to dry them.and I'm good.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Soooo....as others have mentioned... Ceramic coat in and out...then change to Carbon Fiber Pads....dust is almost all gone!!! And with the Cermic Coating...just rinse off....easy-peasy!!
F9B521DA-0831-4155-8A50-A6054BB986CE.jpeg

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I've been using Croftgate Tire Shine on both the wheels and tires of my '19 Bullitt. It has dramatically reduced the amount of brake dust that sticks to the wheels. I have not changed the pads. The finish looks good until the rain hits them. I just reapply after that.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
I've been using Croftgate Tire Shine on both the wheels and tires of my '19 Bullitt. It has dramatically reduced the amount of brake dust that sticks to the wheels. I have not changed the pads. The finish looks good until the rain hits them. I just reapply after that.
I have these on my BULLITT!!
Ceramic coat your wheels..in and out! Just rinse off wheels..no need to re-apply!

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z26-kit/#y=2015&mk=FORD&mo=MUSTANG&ss=GT With 6 Piston Front Calipers
Sponsored