Sponsored

2020 GT500 vs the competition - by the numbers

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
how about comparing Apples to Apples like top of the food chain cars like the GT500 itself is supposed to be / proper cars like a porsche turbo S or a Redeye hellcat ..or a 630hp M5 or a Z06 they stack a top hp gt500 with base and middle of the road hp versions of other manufactures.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I find it interesting how the German, Italian, British and Japanese manufacturers build HP cars that come with a forced air induction set up whereby they resort to a twin turbo induction system and have for numerous years now versus American built HP cars mostly resort to a supercharged induction system aside from the twin turbo V6 engine that powers the second generation Ford GT's.

I am not a big fan of TT V6 engines as in the Ford GT or say the GT-R or even the new Supra but am a big fan of V8's and the aural sound and performance that they bring with it therefore I am hoping that America will finally turn the corner with respect to supercharged V8 engines and will start gravitating towards small block TT V8 engines such as much of Europe and Britain has done.

Hopefully the days of the American built supercharged V8 engines will soon be over and that we will soon see some TT V8 engines installed in some American built HP automobiles.

:sunglasses:
Welp, that's why they call it American Muscle.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
In a couple of years , I figure Ford will put a turbo or two on the GT350 R and use the DCT to make the most efficient use of the horsepower. The GT350 R will then be the most feared track car .

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Agreed. If a 911 turbo and a Mustang are priced the same. I’m not picking the Mustang.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The IMSA version of the GT350R is outperforming it's american rival Camaro & I enjoy watching it. Rebel Rock vs Multimatic! It's epic! Watkins Glen is coming soon. You gotta watch.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
But the most important number for real use is the TQ curve between 2500 - 4000. That's the lowend TQ that moves the car forward. 760 at 8000 means nothing when it comes to getting started.
Wow, you offered a lot of useless information.
Except he didn't, you did, with absolutely incorrect information. So by default, his information was more valuable and informative than yours

Your talking about less than .5 seconds, if that, of rpm, in any form of competition.
The. Your disregarding weight differences, as well as the real force, gears.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
As an engineer without validation non of these GT500 numbers matter to me. I would like to know the hp and torque per lb weight. The width of the tires. Without the actual weight and rubber information we can speculate lot of things. I m hoping for a weight around 3900 lbs and 355’s in the rear.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow, you offered a lot of useless information.
At least it wasn't disinformation. I get tired of explaining it over and over, but I will give it a shot.

Tell me how fast a car will pass the 1/4 mile based on engine torque. Or what the 60 foot will be.

You can't, because the number that matters is HP. That's why the calculators use HP and weight. That's the necessary info.

What matters is not engine torque, but torque at the wheels. And HP tells you how much torque is available at the wheels through gearing.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You can add the Porsche GT3 and AMG GT R to the list as those are cars Ford actually benchmarked during GT500 development.
Its weird how they bench marked these cars but going by the rumors, this GT500 will be the heaviest of all previous GT500s. I hope it isnt true.

I wonder what Ford added to this car that it is that much heavier than the ZL1.
I suspect they were benchmarking one or two specific aspects of the GT3 and AMG GT R, not the overall performance. For example, GT3 would be a good benchmark for DCT shift speed and torque handling.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
The biggest competition is the GT350 and I'd take a GT350 over this any day
Me too, but I expect that many would not. It all depends on what you value most. I would take the "uniqueness" of the GT350 with the FPC and NA over the raw power and performance of the GT500, because top end performance is not the most important thing to me.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The biggest competition is the GT350 and I'd take a GT350 over this any day
Yup. I heard the GT350R can even hang with the Ford GT around some road courses like Walmart parking lot. Joke on the side, the biggest competition is the ZL1 1LE with the 10 Speed Auto. That is the main and the biggest competition. People wouldn't even care if the GT500 reaches or exceeds ZO6 Corvette or ZR1 Corvette prices. GT 500 will always be compared to the Camaro ZL1. Otherwise if we are putting money into the equation, which will be the logical way since smart people actually compare price vs performance, then the list will be a pretty long list. That is on the side, I am 100% sure, Chevy Trend Motortrend will do an H2H with the ZL1/1LE and I can't wait to see the results.

GT500 should be able to wipe the floor with any version of the ZL1 on every performance metric.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
As an engineer without validation non of these GT500 numbers matter to me. I would like to know the hp and torque per lb weight. The width of the tires. Without the actual weight and rubber information we can speculate lot of things. I m hoping for a weight around 3900 lbs and 355’s in the rear.
We know the tire sizes, its been posted, and tirerack has them listed
Sponsored