Sponsored

GT350R Springs for GT (high rate, minimum lowering)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this thread again.
Just installed the GT350R springs front and rear into a 2017 Ecoboost PP. Installed with Ford Performance track struts and rear shocks. The only other mods to the car are lightweight wheels, Steeda camber plates and Steeda rear subframe bushing supports. Alignment specs are as follows:
F Camber 1.7 degrees negative
F Toe 0.1 total toe-in
R Camber 1.3 degrees negative
R Toe 0.1 total toe-in
If the car is lower, it's only by a 1/4 inch at most. Not visually perceptible.

Was only able to drive a few miles, and I'm not sure everything is settled in. The ride is fantastic. Noticeably better than stock. The car is firm and well controlled. Pitches significantly less under acceleration or braking. It has a tendency to oversteer, but it's been this way since the rear bushing supports went in. This should have been the PP suspension.
When I get a chance, I'll post photos (but it looks stock).
Amazing what a mild spring rate increase and beautifully matched dampers can do. You can eat your cake.
Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Amazing what a mild spring rate increase and beautifully matched dampers can do. You can eat your cake.
Funny that you call it a mild spring rate increase. Front is 50% stiffer than PP and the rear is about 30% stiffer. I agree that it feels mild, though.

Now I just have to figure out the oversteer issue. I'm going to run the car over our truck scale today. It's accurate enough that I can get a pretty good idea about corner weights. I don't think it's likely that the corner weights are off, but the car feels unbalanced on corner exit.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Funny that you call it a mild spring rate increase. Front is 50% stiffer than PP and the rear is about 30% stiffer. I agree that it feels mild, though.

Now I just have to figure out the oversteer issue. I'm going to run the car over our truck scale today. It's accurate enough that I can get a pretty good idea about corner weights. I don't think it's likely that the corner weights are off, but the car feels unbalanced on corner exit.
Relative to what most run for their track-only cars (450-600 lb front, 1200-1400 rear in stock location), they're pretty mild.

You may look to a stiffer front bar to help with the balance (but it'll also improve entry/mid grip because MacPherson strut camber curve). I also don't think you have near enough rear toe. I'd suggest about 0.10-0.12 deg per side, total of 0.2-0.25. That helps a lot with corner exit grip and stability.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.
I asked for .18 to .24 rear toe yesterday and got 0.1. I'll see what another tenth gets me.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Front toe in also contributes to oversteer mid corner, as the front outside loaded wheel tries to vector in a bit. 0 front toe may work better for you. I'd also slightly increase your rear toe in next time you get an alignment. 0.1-0.15 toe in per side in the rear.

A stiffer front bar may help cure your oversteer if the alignment tweak doesn't help.

Did you clock your bushings?

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Agree with recommendations above. Alignment and front sway bar. Might also want to consider increase to the rear camber too. More to the negative.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the great advice. This why the forum is so valuable. Sounds like these cars are sensitive to toe settings.
No need to clock bushings. Ride height hasn't changed noticeably.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check corner weights off the list.
I've never seen a perfect balance without spending time adjusting coil-overs til now.
LF-1000#
RF-1000#
LR-920#
RR-920#
Granted I used a truck scale but it's good to +/- 20#. I was in the car. Wow!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Check corner weights off the list.
I've never seen a perfect balance without spending time adjusting coil-overs til now.
LF-1000#
RF-1000#
LR-920#
RR-920#
Granted I used a truck scale but it's good to +/- 20#. I was in the car. Wow!
That's amazing!

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I weighed the two fronts (2000) and then the whole car (3840) then the right front (1000) and then the right side (1820). I'm sure if I had then hit the left rear and then left side it would have changed, but there is no way it would change enough to discount a great corner balance set up. I spent an hour and a half balancing the e46 with coil-overs and didn't get it perfect. Disclaimer is that today was on a truck scale that isn't any more accurate than +/- 20#.

So theoretically at +/- 20 lbs, it could have been
LF-1020
RF-980
LR-900
RR-940
That would still yield a cross percentage of 51/49 which is nothing to sneeze at.

Sponsored

MajHazrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Package
I like it! I'm going to go with the Eibach sway bars and Koni's to control the initial roll (like Norm said) and the BMR SP083 kit to balance the system out, control braking dive, acceleration and steady state. The PP1 is really very good, I'm going to go for that extra control.
Thanks everyone.
I finally got to install my suspension. I bought the parts last fall. Between work and home projects I didn't get a couple days to work on it.
I got the SP083s, BMR adjustable sway bars and the yellow Konis.
I took it on a 6 hour cruise yesterday to see family. I had the Konis on full soft. My wife even said this rides better than stock!
It is more planted, responsive (took that "feels big" feeling out) and stable. To me the PP always felt like it would rock from side to side and was stiff. The ride is plush at full soft. This is just what I wanted to be able to do, dial soft DD, dial stiff for Track Day.

Can't wait to get to the track to try out stiffer settings on the Konis.Two weeks to BIR!

I could not be happier with the set.
Thanks a lot guys!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got to install my suspension. I bought the parts last fall. Between work and home projects I didn't get a couple days to work on it.
I got the SP083s, BMR adjustable sway bars and the yellow Konis.
I took it on a 6 hour cruise yesterday to see family. I had the Konis on full soft. My wife even said this rides better than stock!
It is more planted, responsive (took that "feels big" feeling out) and stable. To me the PP always felt like it would rock from side to side and was stiff. The ride is plush at full soft. This is just what I wanted to be able to do, dial soft DD, dial stiff for Track Day.

Can't wait to get to the track to try out stiffer settings on the Konis.Two weeks to BIR!

I could not be happier with the set.
Thanks a lot guys!
Try the Konis at around 3/4 turn up from soft for the street. They rode better to me there than at 1/4 turn (basically full soft).

SlowStangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hi All!

I'm new here, and there's a lot of great information on this thread and across this forum. Hopefully this is the right place to post this!

I'm looking to stiffen-up my car and make the steering more responsive - while still being daily-drivable.
I daily drive a 2017 Mustang GT PP completely stock (with the exception of the Steeda clutch assist spring and a Corsa Sport cat-back)
I currently do a lot of spirited driving through Bay Area backroads and in the future I plan on taking my car to auto-cross events.

Based off of research gathered from this forum, my build proposal so far is as follows:
  • APEX SM-10 19x10 + Michelin Pilot 4S @ 285/35r19
  • FRPP Track Dampers
  • Steeda Tension Link with Bearing
  • Steeda Roll Center Correction Lateral Link + Bumpsteer kit
  • Steeda Stop-The-Hop Kit (IRS Alignment, Brace, Bushing Supports)
  • FRPP Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing
  • BMR SM760 Rear Shock Mount
I am holding off on the RLCA bearing for now due to concerns over NVH.

The only decision remains is what springs to choose, namely GT350R springs or BMR SP083 springs.
  • GT350R - 240f/920r lb/in @ .7/.3 inch ride height drop
  • SP083 - 250f/980r lb/in @ .88/.75 inch ride height drop (or .5 inch rear if used with a Steeda 1/8 inch spacer)
I am hung up on the following reasons:

- The GT350R has less of a drop front and back, but Steeda's Extended Ball Joint is *ideally* designed for a 7/8 inch drop; the joint is .625 inch more than stock whereas a GT350R ball joint is .5 inch more than stock. Given the design of a McPherson strut cg to rc drop ratio is roughly ~3:1, I would be raising the roll center probably .6-.7 inches higher than Steeda and/or Ford deems is ideal, and I am not sure how far off from 1:1 the motion ratio would be. I am also not sure what other unintended effects this would have, such as increased camber gain under braking or faster tire wear from scrub during suspension travel if the motion ratio is far off from 1:1. Seems like @BmacIL runs GT350R fronts with this and doesn't have issues, I would love his input :)

- The BMR SP083 front spring matches PERFECTLY with Steeda's Extended Ball Joint @ a 7/8 inch drop. However, the rear drops too far for my liking and I would probably want to run it with a 1/8 inch spacer to raise it 1/4 inch (total .5 inch drop). I'm still worried that this may be too low of a drop in the rear, as the rear roll center drop is worse than the front roll center when lowering the same distance. I know @Bluemustang runs this without a spacer and loves it, I would love to hear more on his thoughts :)

- The BMR SP083 springs are 5% stiffer, but this is probably unnoticeable and a non-issue.

Please tell me if I'm over thinking this too much and I should simply choose one or the other!
My gut is also telling me I would probably also not notice the difference, which would mean I should choose the GT350R springs for the extra .2 inch of ride height gained, as I'd prefer to lower as little as possible. :)

Thanks!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All!

I'm new here, and there's a lot of great information on this thread and across this forum. Hopefully this is the right place to post this!

I'm looking to stiffen-up my car and make the steering more responsive - while still being daily-drivable.
I daily drive a 2017 Mustang GT PP completely stock (with the exception of the Steeda clutch assist spring and a Corsa Sport cat-back)
I currently do a lot of spirited driving through Bay Area backroads and in the future I plan on taking my car to auto-cross events.

Based off of research gathered from this forum, my build proposal so far is as follows:
  • APEX SM-10 19x10 + Michelin Pilot 4S @ 285/35r19
  • FRPP Track Dampers
  • Steeda Tension Link with Bearing
  • Steeda Roll Center Correction Lateral Link + Bumpsteer kit
  • Steeda Stop-The-Hop Kit (IRS Alignment, Brace, Bushing Supports)
  • FRPP Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing
  • BMR SM760 Rear Shock Mount
I am holding off on the RLCA bearing for now due to concerns over NVH.

The only decision remains is what springs to choose, namely GT350R springs or BMR SP083 springs.
  • GT350R - 240f/920r lb/in @ .7/.3 inch ride height drop
  • SP083 - 250f/980r lb/in @ .88/.75 inch ride height drop (or .5 inch rear if used with a Steeda 1/8 inch spacer)
I am hung up on the following reasons:

- The GT350R has less of a drop front and back, but Steeda's Extended Ball Joint is *ideally* designed for a 7/8 inch drop; the joint is .625 inch more than stock whereas a GT350R ball joint is .5 inch more than stock. Given the design of a McPherson strut cg to rc drop ratio is roughly ~3:1, I would be raising the roll center probably .6-.7 inches higher than Steeda and/or Ford deems is ideal, and I am not sure how far off from 1:1 the motion ratio would be. I am also not sure what other unintended effects this would have, such as increased camber gain under braking or faster tire wear from scrub during suspension travel if the motion ratio is far off from 1:1. Seems like @BmacIL runs GT350R fronts with this and doesn't have issues, I would love his input :)

- The BMR SP083 front spring matches PERFECTLY with Steeda's Extended Ball Joint @ a 7/8 inch drop. However, the rear drops too far for my liking and I would probably want to run it with a 1/8 inch spacer to raise it 1/4 inch (total .5 inch drop). I'm still worried that this may be too low of a drop in the rear, as the rear roll center drop is worse than the front roll center when lowering the same distance. I know @Bluemustang runs this without a spacer and loves it, I would love to hear more on his thoughts :)

- The BMR SP083 springs are 5% stiffer, but this is probably unnoticeable and a non-issue.

Please tell me if I'm over thinking this too much and I should simply choose one or the other!
My gut is also telling me I would probably also not notice the difference, which would mean I should choose the GT350R springs for the extra .2 inch of ride height gained, as I'd prefer to lower as little as possible. :)

Thanks!
Flip a coin! Go with your gut on the height. If it were me, now, I'd go with the SP083 set, as the 0.5" drop 980 lb/in rear handling springs that I have are no longer available. IMO, SP083 is slightly better than the GT350R spring setup, but it's really close. If you felt stronger about not lowering that bit extra, I'd say R springs.

Either way you're going to be very happy with the handling. Two things that I'd add to your list without question: BK055 RLCA bearings and SB044 front sway bar.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Flip a coin! Go with your gut on the height. If it were me, now, I'd go with the SP083 set, as the 0.5" drop 980 lb/in rear handling springs that I have are no longer available. IMO, SP083 is slightly better than the GT350R spring setup, but it's really close. If you felt stronger about not lowering that bit extra, I'd say R springs.

Either way you're going to be very happy with the handling. Two things that I'd add to your list without question: BK055 RLCA bearings and SB044 front sway bar.
I totally agree with @BmacIL. Not much to add because he pretty much summed it up.

@SlowStangGT
I will say with that build list, you will do a lot more than just improve the steering response. It'll be transformed. My advice: listen to him on those last two things - the BK055 and the front bar. That completes the handling.
Sponsored