Sponsored

Boost leak ("trumpet" noise) after CVF pipes and IC Upgrade

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Hi all, I just installed CVF hot/cold pipes and ATM IC and now I am getting a trumpet noise sounding boost leak upon acceleration. I made sure all the clamps were tight and the couplers had plenty of area on the tubes to get the clamps on. Could the leak be coming out of the bung for the meth port? I did use teflon tape there but perhaps that is not sufficient? Any help could be appreciated, I am almost tempted to just go back to the stock hot/cold pipes. :(
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
What are you using for the bypass/ blow off valve?
Is it still venting back into the intake pipe?

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
What are you using for the bypass/ blow off valve?
Is it still venting back into the intake pipe?
I am using the Boomba blow-off adapter/spacer and stock recirc valve. It is venting back into the atmosphere.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Took off the CFV hot side pipe and installed the stocker and it still leaks and is now pushing out the lower tube. I am just going to take it to a speed shop first thing tomorrow morning, I've never had a hard pipe install go this bad before.

Sponsored

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Update: Took off the CFV hot side pipe and installed the stocker and it still leaks and is now pushing out the lower tube. I am just going to take it to a speed shop first thing tomorrow morning, I've never had a hard pipe install go this bad before.
Just shot over a message to see if we can bang out this issue with you!

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, I just installed CVF hot/cold pipes and ATM IC and now I am getting a trumpet noise sounding boost leak upon acceleration. I made sure all the clamps were tight and the couplers had plenty of area on the tubes to get the clamps on. Could the leak be coming out of the bung for the meth port? I did use teflon tape there but perhaps that is not sufficient? Any help could be appreciated, I am almost tempted to just go back to the stock hot/cold pipes. :(
I'm running this exact setup, CVF charge pipes, ATM IC, and Boomba BOV with zero issues. Make sure to recheck your couplers are fully on, clamps are tight, and the sensor that goes into the IC near the cold side outlet has the o-ring on it.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
What are the clamps like? I had the hot side pipe blow off a couple of times until I really clamped it down right at the intercooler
Hot side is a bitch and a half and I still use the stock one. I don't imagine the better aftermarket ones are any easier to man handle

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm running this exact setup, CVF charge pipes, ATM IC, and Boomba BOV with zero issues. Make sure to recheck your couplers are fully on, clamps are tight, and the sensor that goes into the IC near the cold side outlet has the o-ring on it.
I saw your setup and your positive feedback was one of the main reasons I ran with it. Hoping I get this squared away so I can enjoy the car again. In the process of rechecking couplers, pretty sure the map sensor o-ring is in as I even re-lubed it.

Hot side is a bitch and a half and I still use the stock one. I don't imagine the better aftermarket ones are any easier to man handle
It has been kicking my @ss. Hoping I get this resolved soon, got some awesome pictures of the IC install.

Sponsored
OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are the clamps like? I had the hot side pipe blow off a couple of times until I really clamped it down right at the intercooler
Sorry I missed your post, the T-bolt clamps seem fine, they don't looked warped or anything. I'll see tomorrow morning once I hear back from the shop.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw your setup and your positive feedback was one of the main reasons I ran with it. Hoping I get this squared away so I can enjoy the car again. In the process of rechecking couplers, pretty sure the map sensor o-ring is in as I even re-lubed it.
There are many of running this or very similar setup, so I don't believe you are dealing with incompatible parts. I believe it will turn out to be either a problem with a clamp or maybe a defective coupler. Can't wait for you to get it sorted so you can see what we've been talking about after performing this upgrade.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's funny here is that the hot-side gave me zero issue installing, had it on in 10 minutes. It was the cold side I spent all my time on, mainly due to the fact that there is barely enough length to get it installed correctly due to the 2018+ OEM cold side charge pipe being almost 2" longer than the previous 2015-17 because of the redesigned front and the CVF cold side seems to measure out to just over the 2015-17 OEM length. Almost broke down and considered buying a longer coupler or throttle body spacer to make life easier, but I finally got it aligned properly and everything tightened down. No leaks and love that increased turbo sound especially when first fired up in the morning.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's funny here is that the hot-side gave me zero issue installing, had it on in 10 minutes. It was the cold side I spent all my time on, mainly due to the fact that there is barely enough length to get it installed correctly due to the 2018+ OEM cold side charge pipe being almost 2" longer than the previous 2015-17 because of the redesigned front and the CVF cold side seems to measure out to just over the 2015-17 OEM length. Almost broke down and considered buying a longer coupler or throttle body spacer to make life easier, but I finally got it aligned properly and everything tightened down. No leaks and love that increased turbo sound especially when first fired up in the morning.
So I got the car back after the shop re-positioned the pipes. The car pulls a lot harder but the sound is still present, I am going to investigate the recirc valve next, the more I hear it the more I think that's where the direction of the noise is coming from. We did end up using the stock lower coupler for the hot-side (which is slightly longer) and everything lines up better than the one provided with the kit. Also I am glad I went with the boomba plenum spacer kit as it saved me from what you went through with the cold side (which I had minimal issues with). When I get home from work tonight I will try removing the boomba blow off spacer and see what happens, though I think it may be the stock recirc valve just leaking boost at this point. Anyone know what is the best diverter valve for the 2019s? My buddy with a Fiesta ST runs the turbosmart but I am open to all options (especially the best option).

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I got the car back after the shop re-positioned the pipes. The car pulls a lot harder but the sound is still present, I am going to investigate the recirc valve next, the more I hear it the more I think that's where the direction of the noise is coming from. We did end up using the stock lower coupler for the hot-side (which is slightly longer) and everything lines up better than the one provided with the kit. Also I am glad I went with the boomba plenum spacer kit as it saved me from what you went through with the cold side (which I had minimal issues with). When I get home from work tonight I will try removing the boomba blow off spacer and see what happens, though I think it may be the stock recirc valve just leaking boost at this point. Anyone know what is the best diverter valve for the 2019s? My buddy with a Fiesta ST runs the turbosmart but I am open to all options (especially the best option).
I've run the TurboSmart, TiAL, and currently the Boomba BOV (not spacer). Of these 3, the best IMHO is the Boomba BOV. I like that the PCM still has control via a solenoid and seems faster to react to changing boost requirements over a manifold reference vacuum setup with a CEL plug to trick the PCM.

Edit: And its tested not to leak up to 75psi, which is way higher than I would ever need.
Sponsored