Sponsored

Should i go backwards in Transmissions? Auto To Manual

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not really sure where some of the reply's are going, but if you want a manual just get one. Not sure why you would ask about it the way you did here as you can see the majority of the responses are not really helpful. For me, I would not get an A10 Mustang unless I was going to make it primarily a drag car (which it does great), drove in excruciating traffic 90% of the time or have some type of medical reason for not being able to drive one. So really it just comes down to if you want to drive a manual or as well as buy new or used. IMHO, for a daily driver and 100% non-track car, any iteration of model year will give you want you want....a manual that will put a smile on your face every time you wring out the gears.
Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Not really sure where some of the reply's are going, but if you want a manual just get one. Not sure why you would ask about it the way you did here as you can see the majority of the responses are not really helpful. For me, I would not get an A10 Mustang unless I was going to make it primarily a drag car (which it does great), drove in excruciating traffic 90% of the time or have some type of medical reason for not being able to drive one. So really it just comes down to if you want to drive a manual or as well as buy new or used. IMHO, for a daily driver and 100% non-track car, any iteration of model year will give you want you want....a manual that will put a smile on your face every time you wring out the gears.
90 percent of the posts on here are questions that have no place being asked since they are questions only the OP can answer. Instead of questioning it, provide some insight or move along.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Throwing this out there. I just copy pasted my post from elsewhere so ignore not being tailored to this.

I did not like my 17’s 6 speed very much until I installed 2 things.

Steeda clutch spring, and Barton hybrid 3 short throw shifter (I body mounted)

Isn’t even comparable, it was ok to drive wasn’t happy with it in anyway, but now I love it,

the spring is 100x better and the transmission shifts like butter vs notchy before, smaller shifts and shorter height. Nice for me, having low armrest.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
90 percent of the posts on here are questions that have no place being asked since they are questions only the OP can answer. Instead of questioning it, provide some insight or move along.
Thanks for pretty much repeating what I said. Maybe if you read what I said you would see I added some insight. Maybe you need to move along?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
That's a lot of money to owe on a car you're trading in so quickly. Are you in a place financially where you can do it? I made the opposite move (manual to auto), but the advantage you have in Texas is you're only going to pay the sales tax difference between the new car and your trade in. I'd spend some good seat time in whatever you think your going to buy before taking the hit.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Maybe find someone who would want to trade manual for auto. Would that work?

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When insurance totalled my '01 manual GT (young gal pulled out in front of me, on my green, her red), I bought and owned for just months a car that wasn't right for me, including having an automatic. I sold it to CarMax for a slight loss (the bigger part of the overall loss was in taxes (California) and fees), and went back to what I then knew I'd really only be happy with.

So don't feel too bad about a one-time small financial mistake. It's more important to enjoy life. If you can afford it (and were okay prior to this with a manual in a daily driver), get what will make you happy. You can always trade it in if for some reason the next gen has something so compelling you just can't resist. But who knows what it will look like. Or will the V-8 be dropped. Or how much driver overrides and nagging it will come with.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the other option, assuming you can swing it, is to own/lease both cars for a while. I would guess most people can swing 3 months worth of doubled-up payments. But before even undertaking that level of commitment, test drive every car you can get your hands on of the type you want to test. There are used ones out there, and dealers tend to be more flexible in letting you drive it for an hour. or you can play the gambit of "the wife needs to drive/test the car but she's at home." Guy was buying a car I had previously turned down and the dealer gave him the keys for the weekend. He had to leave a CC imprint and show policy coverage.

If you want to just drive new cars, you probably have 3-6 dealers close enough to visit, and test drive various stick cars till you know for sure.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Don't bash me to hard but....

I have a 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed auto I purchased 8 months ago (Owe 28K) and I am really wanting to go back to a manual transmission. I do not track the car and it is a daily driver with spirited driving here and there. I am looking at possibly trading it in for a 2019 Mustang GT 6 speed manual but i will only get 26-27K for trade in so ill be taking a little bit of a loss. Should i just wait and get the manual in the next redesign or...? Anybody go auto to manual in these gens?
You should sell it privately. At least get what you owe out of it.

Yes, it is a PITA to sell a car privately.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The only thing that kept me out of a Bullitt was/is bad knees. I have the 10 speed and have no issues with it. This isn’t about going forward or backwards, it’s about what you want. You answered your own question in the first sentence of you post. Please post pics of your new 6 speed when you get it.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
So don't feel too bad about a one-time small financial mistake. It's more important to enjoy life. If you can afford it (and were okay prior to this with a manual in a daily driver), get what will make you happy.
I regreat not getting 5.0. I will be trading in my Ecoboost 6 spd for a 2020 GT 6 spd. I am sure I'll take a hit, a small one I hope.

Enjoy. Life is short.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
trading in my Ecoboost 6 spd for a 2020 GT 6 spd
Depending on the timeframe you had in mind, you can probably get an extra 5-7% off of a left over '19 GT. I'm not aware of any useful changes to the 2020 MY cars. And there might well be some very lightly used '19 on dealer lots that are otherwise unsellable that you can really insist on a big discount and end up at even-money.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
For me, this would be a no-brainer. I have no interest in driving a Mustang with an automatic. Even if I sat in a ton of stop and go. It would just mean more opportunity to shift gears.

You may want to try to sell your car locally, and see if you can get some more money on your car instead of losing your shirt at the dealer.

OP
OP
Trooper_S550

Trooper_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Taking the above replies into consideration and wanting to keep my shirt lol :crackup:; It looks like ill be driving the A10 (tuned, since I have heard that makes a world of difference) until the S650 comes out and just trade it in then.:fingerscrossed: now to add some longtubes & tune so I enjoy it for the next two years! Thanks guys!

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Taking the above replies into consideration and wanting to keep my shirt lol :crackup:; It looks like ill be driving the A10 (tuned, since I have heard that makes a world of difference) until the S650 comes out and just trade it in then.:fingerscrossed: now to add some longtubes & tune so I enjoy it for the next two years! Thanks guys!
Should add some black accents to your engine bay....like this one on the front right ;)
03.jpg
Sponsored