Sponsored

So, I'm an idiot and crashed my '18 GT. Sell/Fix/jump out the window?

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
04 40th Ann Mustang, 2015 Mustang
It's a short story. Guy buy car after 27 years of driving w/ no accidents ever at his fault....takes the car to a drift event to get to know each other. No shit really, that was my intention. I've drifted, drag raced, etc. for decades now. Anyways, she met the wall.
Front subframe isn't that tweaked. Rails are pretty far over, but would be pullable. Rear suspension took a hit. Small dinger above the RR wheel....and the rear bumper cover got it. popped all the bags but the steering wheel and passenger dash. Coolers are still fine.

It's a A10, 3.55 PPK base car. The whipple, fore, ID1300's are still in the box. I need another car, or this one fixed ASAP. First estimate was 24K......which isn't feasible without buying some used parts.

What is that puppy worth wrecked?
What has people spent fixing one similiar?
Who's got a front clip :wink: ?
IMG_20190528_070203189.jpg
IMG_20190528_070353637.jpg
IMG_20190528_070430068.jpg
IMG_20190528_070443687.jpg
IMG_20190528_070801925.jpg
IMG_20190528_070813182.jpg
IMG_20190528_070823676.jpg
IMG_20190528_071058728.jpg
Visit Copart.com or iaai.com and look over the messes others have made of their Mustangs. Perhaps you can buy one for parts and start doing a parts swap car.
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Sorry, going to disagree with your title. You were at a track I presume with reference to the wall doing exactly what a track is for with relevant experience.

Crashing is sometimes just part of pushing our skills.

IMHO, you demonstrated the exact opposite of being an idiot. On the other hand insurance fraud? That would qualify.
Best comment in this thread IMHO. Better to crash at the track rather than risk wiping out a crowd or minivan full of kids on the streets

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I just reviewed this thread and all I can say as an old Drag Racer. This baby is TOAST and I would NOT throw a ton of money at a dead horse. I would total out this baby and be looking for a new ride. Sorry for your loss and it's a good thing you did not get hurt.

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I just reviewed this thread and all I can say as an old Drag Racer. This baby is TOAST and I would NOT throw a ton of money at a dead horse. I would total out this baby and be looking for a new ride. Sorry for your loss and it's a good thing you did not get hurt.

Totally agree. Its time to move on to another horse.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB

Sponsored

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
If you have the time and space maybe part it out yourself?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Relax. That car has the most value as a totally usable drift car or track car. If thats what you enjoy, you are golden. If you wanted a garage queen / wannabe driver / nicely waxed poser mobile.....
You already understand pushing a mustang on a track is the experience these cars were built for.
-and frankly an experience on par with apple pie, fourth of july parades, and really great *edit:language* !

If you were closer Id lie n tell you it was fucked and offer you 12k and build a drift car out of it. Totally kidding... kinda...

Just do the suspension and minimum to get back to drifting and enjoy the car? Work on the cosmetics whenever you feel like a little more effort. Mustangs are like legos or snaptite model cars but for adults instead of kids.

Replacement panels come in primer black. Just run with them as is. Enjoy the car, fuck cosmetics.

Doesnt look that bad to me. Ive done worse. Lol.
10-15 mph at impact?
Is the hood buckled?
Need pics of leading edges of doors and the fenders. If not compressed you are likely ok.
Depends on if it can be lined back up without a full Frame puller or just a pair of $150 northern/harborfreight pullers.
Once you have the new front rad support, kmember, fenders and bumper, you should be able to stretch the front unibody to match those new parts. You can buy the front unibody pieces to weld in all new in front of strut tower worst case.

First, whats your time worth.
Second, do you have another car to drive while working on this if you take a stab at it?
I suspect a body shop would give you 18 +\- 3k.

Start pricing parts at WhiteBearLake.
Some high side estimates...
Front kmember, bushings, any bent links:
1k front suspension.
450 fr Bumper skin unpainted
600 both Fenders
500 Lights?
450 rear skin
1000 Various busted support brackets/trim
Airbags?
Any rear fender damage is awkward as its welded on. You got any sheet metal or body welding experience?

You could likely do about 70% yourself getting everything lined up. If body shop is cool, just tack new unibody panels and they may finish weld/putty/fair. Reassemble and lined up everything to check. Then pull all the parts back off that need paint. Then have body shop do rear fender (expect 3k w paint rear fender alone) and another 1-2k to prep and paint the other parts you bring in loose.

Even if you are going to get a body shop quote, You are way better pulling it apart to get a starting price list/inventory. (take pictures and video as you go you will need those later.) Get the ford helm manual.
Start a (re)build thread and get help as you go.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Put the full roll cage in.

I’m not crazy about bent and straightening cars and driving as is. The shell has to be weaker. The roll cage makes that safety issue redundant. Apart from that I agree with the guy above. You have 25 other cars to DD. This one is for racing and trust me you will kiss the wall again - so - better it be this one...

That being the case I would not bother with cosmetic stuff. Just functionality...

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
But how many get sent to court? Or just denied a claim?

As a former professional in the insurance industry I have seen clients commit suicide due to the antics of insurance companies. It cuts both ways, but joe average does not have the legal team to right his wrong. These insurance companies occupy the biggest buildings and raise the rates if the actuarial calculations are off instead of taking it on the chin.

So I might be biased...

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't feel bad for you, you are enjoying your car to the fullest which is more than I can say for mine. Hell I envy you! Keep it, it's your new track car. Get another daily driver and keep on enjoying life to the fullest.

Sponsored

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Insurance companies never loose. I had a 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang that I purchased new. Anytime I detected anything getting weathered or not new looking I replaced it. I never ate int he car nor do I smoke. I was the only occupant of it 95% of the time. Last October I thought the finish was getting a little dull so I had a body shop friend of mine hand sand all the tiny paint chips down and repaint it the same factory color, put not the single coat but three coats of clear on it, changed the head light castings out, the cyclops light out, changed the grill in front of the windshield, replaced shocks, struts, calipers, disc, and pads. It did not leak oil and the oil has been a synthetic blend since day one. I had full maintenance records, gas records, parts replacements, the whole ball of wax. So there I am being very careful with my baby think I would take it into the Antique Category, and I was sitting at a red light. WAM! The full size Chevy Van in back of me got hit by an Altama going 50 to 60 MPH and was driven into the back of my car so hard and violently my seat back failed, I was driven up the seat under the belts hit my head on the metal bar for the head rest, then I slightly hit another car with my front left bumper so light it only left some black rubber but never set off any of my bags. I grabbed the wheel, brought myself up, stomped on the brakes and put it in park. I went to get out and the door was jammed so I really laid into it and it popped open, I stepped out and took two steps, got dizzy and immediately sat back down, What I saw was my wing behind the van and my back end mashed up to the spair tire, left rear fender polked out and rear end drooping. It was fixable. The insurance company totaled my car and offered me $5388 for it, and I told them I had put that much in it in October. They raised it up to $6388 and said that was their final offer. Prior to the accident I wouldn't have sold the Mustang for less than $10K! My 2004 car was towed to Copart.com and sold for only $300.00 to a fixer in NC. Mean while the guy who caused this 6 car accident admitted responsibility but has GEICO's lowest coverage. They told me to get my insurance to cover the accident. Well guess what, I have a million dollar coverage for everyone else but my agent forgot to add Uninsured/under insured coverage for me. So I am basically screwed! I am now searching for decent 2017 V6 Mustang in Shadow Black and Black interior with under 30K miles for hardly anything.......I think I will be waiting for a while.

Last edited:

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Insurance companies never loose. I had a 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang that I purchased new. Anytime I detected anything getting weathered or not new looking I replaced it. I never ate int he car nor do I smoke. I was the only occupant of it 95% of the time. Last October I thought the finish was getting a little dull so I had a body shop friend of mine hand sand all the tiny paint chips down and repaint it the same factory color, put not the single coat but three coats of clear on it, changed the head light castings out, the cyclops light out, changed the grill in front of the windshield, replaced shocks, struts, calipers, disc, and pads. It did not leak oil and the oil has been a synthetic blend since day one. I had full maintenance records, gas records, parts replacements, the whole ball of wax. So there I am being very careful with my baby think I would take it into the Antique Category, and I was sitting at a red light. WAM! The full size Chevy Van in back of me got hit by an Altama going 50 to 60 MPH and was driven into the back of my car so hard and violently my seat back failed, I was driven up the seat under the belts hit my head on the metal bar for the head rest, then I slightly hit another car with my front left bumper so light it only left some black rubber but never set off any of my bags. I grabbed the wheel, brought myself up, stomped on the brakes and put it in park. I went to get out and the door was jammed so I really laid into it and it popped open, I stepped out and took two steps, got dizzy and immediately sat back down, What I saw was my wing behind the van and my back end mashed up to the spair tire, left rear fender polked out and rear end drooping. It was fixable. The insurance company totaled my car and offered me $5388 for it, and I told them I had put that much in it in October. They raised it up to $6388 and said that was their final offer. My 2004 car was towed to Copart.com and sold for only $300.00 to a fixer in NC. Mean while the guy who caused this 6 car accident admitted responsibility but has GEICO's lowest coverage. They told me to get my insurance to cover the accident. Well guess what, I have a million dollar coverage for everyone else but my agent forgot to add Uninsured/under insured coverage for me. So I am basically screwed! I am now searching for decent 2017 V6 Mustang in Shadow Black and Black interior with under 30K miles for hardly anything.......I think I will be waiting for a while.
That sucks but playing devils advocate for a moment...should you not have reviewed your policy contract before you needed it? Insurance is at its core a contract. There are 2 parties in the contract and both have a responsibility to insure the terms are as discussed. Thats why your policy is provided at every renewal and with most companies is readily available online. So it may be easy to growl at the insurance company its equally your responsibility.

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
U n f o t u n a t l y, I thought my wife and insurance representative were taking care of the policy to cover everything" both cars, house, pool, flight instruction liability, and god only knows what else. I guess they just plain forgot about the uninsured/under insured "U" rider. We have it on there now for sure. Just make sure you all have it too. Your right, I should have looked.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
U n f o t u n a t l y, I thought my wife and insurance representative were taking care of the policy to cover everything" both cars, house, pool, flight instruction liability, and god only knows what else. I guess they just plain forgot about the uninsured/under insured "U" rider. We have it on there now for sure. Just make sure you all have it too. Your right, I should have looked.

You didn’t forget anything. You were conned...

How does a rider for uninsured or low policy drivers become reality in his day and age? Where I live that’s now illegal and everyone has to have millions of coverage. The reason it’s an optional rider where you live is to screw you out of money when you get into an accident.

Guess what? That is exactly what happened!

Buying insurance should not be like making a deal with the devil - but there you go... You should not need a legal team to get you covered. If you are accident free, I suggest you get a policy with accident forgiveness. The plain language they use in commercials can be leveraged in questionable accidents to your benefit as they would rather just pay you and get rid of you than have a court make a judgement that gets some press.

Make what you want out of that! :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I am now searching for decent 2017 V6 Mustang in Shadow Black and Black interior with under 30K miles for hardly anything.......I think I will be waiting for a while.

I drive that very car. Bought from a lot earmarked for a large rental company. I negotiated with the fleet manager to take advantage of the CCA class 10 tax situation (for which they were built and priced). These cars are built better simply by slowing down the line a little so panels fit better, no glue on the windshield, etc. Two years in and zero issues - that is zero issues - and I told the dealer I’m never coming back and that is true.

I thought the 3.7 was toast for 2019 but now I see them on the lot with the engine (Transit). No Ecoboom or rattle/tick with these things. A superior car!
Sponsored

Last edited: