Sponsored

Very, very impressed with CMX; 2 coats, pics inside

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT #savethemanuals, 2012 Audi Q5
I am of the mindset that you shouldn't just jump around trying to use all the latest "hot" detailing products. You should find a line and stick with it, learn it, know how it reacts, etc (I believe I picked this up from one of the Ammo videos).

For me, that line is Mothers and I have now applied two coats of CMX to my 2019 GT. Coats were about 15 hours apart and CMX requires a very, very light touch when you go to remove it. The less pressure I applied, the better it looked and I was barely holding on to the microfiber towel. I debated not doing ceramic because I didn't want "that look"; the one that makes your car have a candy-coated-shell that makes you look like a Skittles rolling down the street. I think CMX left a nice protective layer that also looks good. Pics below, critique welcomed.

IMG_6331.JPG
IMG_6330.JPG
IMG_6329.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6322.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG
IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG
Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Looks great! I bought some CMX yesterday and did a couple of panels - very impressed. Much better than the CQuartz Reload I used previously.

I thought of using CQuartz UK or some similar full deal product, but for now I'm quite looking forward to using this and building up a few layers

Good product

OP
OP

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! I bought some CMX yesterday and did a couple of panels - very impressed. Much better than the CQuartz Reload I used previously.

I thought of using CQuartz UK or some similar full deal product, but for now I'm quite looking forward to using this and building up a few layers

Good product
Remind me, isn't that CQ stuff mega expensive? CMX (I think) would be the much better value.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CQuartz is pretty expensive. A do it yourself kit is probably $75 and takes a fair bit of time and preparation and is a one time use
I'm amazed at the results on the panels I did. It was raining today and the rain beaded up perfectly and just rolled off as I was driving.

I've never seen that level of beading on a car before. For $25 Can for a pretty large container that will probably last for a couple of years is a good deal. Applying the CMX is super easy as you said

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if CMX or the Meguiars version are the same as a "real" ceramic coating, but I just wanted to say you're not wanting to look like a Skittle rolling down the road and having bright red wheels and decals don't exactly mesh in my mind haha

Are you talking about the super shininess from most ceramics?

Sponsored

OP
OP

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about the super shininess from most ceramics?
What you are posing as "super shininess" to me looks like a hard-candy shell. It just looks a little too "thick" to me and borders on ridiculous. This affects some colors more than others, IMO people with Kona Blue cars just shouldn't get crazy with the ceramic, it looks awful. I'm just not a fan of it and prefer the finish that CMX has left on my car.

As for my red wheels, well, I view the Mustang as a platform that I can use to make my own. I bought a bone stock Mustang for a reason and I'm customizing it to my taste. My car is named "Sunday Red" and I add red components/accent to build it in the way I'd like.

Reactions: A7X

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you are posing as "super shininess" to me looks like a hard-candy shell. It just looks a little too "thick" to me and borders on ridiculous. This affects some colors more than others, IMO people with Kona Blue cars just shouldn't get crazy with the ceramic, it looks awful. I'm just not a fan of it and prefer the finish that CMX has left on my car.

As for my red wheels, well, I view the Mustang as a platform that I can use to make my own. I bought a bone stock Mustang for a reason and I'm customizing it to my taste. My car is named "Sunday Red" and I add red components/accent to build it in the way I'd like.
That's very cool.

I've gone the opposite way and gone black. Faded factory stripes, black wheels and badging

Different strokes and all are valid

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

I'm not saying you can't do what you want to your car to make it your own, jut saying it's weird to me to talk about one thing being Skittles for the extra gloss (I know what you're talking about with some of them) and then have bright red wheels which actually would look like Skittles to me. We call one of our buddies Skittles because of the number of times he's changed his car's theme up, he took it a step further now and put little flashing LEDs at the corner of his headlights now lol.

Let us know how long the CMX ends up lasting for you, always nice to see real world results instead of manufacturers saying it can last a year.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let us know how long the CMX ends up lasting for you, always nice to see real world results instead of manufacturers saying it can last a year.
I will do that. Although for me, detailing is like therapy, so I enjoy doing it. It will be hard to think about how good the CMX is alone since I'll most likely always have a quality wax or detailer (both Mothers) on top of it too.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put CMX on my front and back windshields. Water sleets off easily, I have the wiper on intermittent and it's fine.

I also CMXd the rear camera. Seems to help a bit when wet so the backup camera is usable in the wet.

Extremely happy with CMX so far

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to ask - did you find CMX filled in some of the swirl marks on the paint? I have to claybar this summer (I know this will remove the CMX but no biggie as it's super easy to re-apply.

I'm thinking CMX does hide some pf the swirl marks but curious about your findings

OP
OP

GentlemanJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also CMXd the rear camera. Seems to help a bit when wet so the backup camera is usable in the wet.
Oh that's an interesting use! I hadn't considered that, I don't think there's anything on my camera right now. I'll have to do this next time. Thanks!

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh that's an interesting use! I hadn't considered that, I don't think there's anything on my camera right now. I'll have to do this next time. Thanks!
Cool. I was tempted to try it because it's infuriating to try backing up and have the camera useless - I'm horrible at backing up
Sponsored