Sponsored

19 Mustang GT PP2 vs 18 Camaro SS 1LE Track Test (both on Cup 2's)

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Throttle House on YouTube finished their Mustang vs Camaro series with a 1/4 mile "street race" and timed road course ... both on Cup 2's. These guys are pretty good to watch.

Spoiler Alert: SS 1LE edges PP2 by 1.27 sec

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Not a good showing for the PP2.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
I think the PP 2 and 1LE are very close (except for the differential overheating issue with the PP 2 after several hard laps). Some find the 1 LE quicker, but in Car & Driver's lightning lap around VIR, the PP 2 was a second quicker.

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I think the PP 2 and 1LE are very close (except for the differential overheating issue with the PP 2 after several hard laps). Some find the 1 LE quicker, but in Car & Driver's lightning lap around VIR, the PP 2 was a second quicker.
I would agree that it could be track dependent. Some tracks are likely better oriented to the higher RPM of the Coyote than the torque of the LS. Either way, it's not a bad showing but one I had hoped would be within .2 sec. I would also be curious as to the age and heat cycles of the tires used as it does make a considerable difference when you're running 10/10ths.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It’s going to come down to the driver. With those two cars. Just like the SS and GT will come down to driver. And if the GT500 ever gets released. I bet the track pack and ZL1 1le will come down to driver. Of course at the rate we’re going. We may not live to see that match up.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How fast was the Camaro with the factory tires? Just curious on how much better the Cup 2s are.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
How fast was the Camaro with the factory tires? Just curious on how much better the Cup 2s are.
Not much. The Goodyear tires that come on the SS 1 LE are no slouches compared to the PCS 2.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Camaro 1Le is faster on track stock vs stock ..period.
Plus pp2 or pp1 need 2 or 3 k $ of upgrade of cooling.
Then stiffer sway bars,springs and a camber plate .
Then is even .
Unfortunately :(

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not much. The Goodyear tires that come on the SS 1 LE are no slouches compared to the PCS 2.
So why did they spend so much money to swap tires on it?

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
So why did they spend so much money to swap tires on it?
Throttle House didn't spend any money to swap the tires, the owner of the 1LE has a set of track wheels (extra set of stock 1LE wheels, not lightweight track wheels..) with the Cup 2's. Throttle House just worked with what they had, sounds like 1LE's are somewhat rare up in Canuckistan, so probably couldn't find a dealer / individual to lend them a bone stock one for the test.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I think a test with same test of tire was better. They equalized the OEM tire offering because the OEM tires are a huge factor contributing to final performance. I .E. All the " pp2 is faster than pp1"
is mainly due to bigger and sticker tires .

Throttle House didn't spend any money to swap the tires, the owner of the 1LE has a set of track wheels (extra set of stock 1LE wheels, not lightweight track wheels..) with the Cup 2's. Throttle House just worked with what they had, sounds like 1LE's are somewhat rare up in Canuckistan, so probably couldn't find a dealer / individual to lend them a bone stock one for the test.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Makes sense.
Sponsored