crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I have a completely stock 2018 GT and I would like to modify it. But like most people, I don't have infinite time and money to spend on the car. One of the first things I'd like to do is a nice exhaust. Where I run into some hurdles though is that I don't want something that's too extremely loud and I don't want to pay like $2,000 for a catback. I was thinking I just go with the Steeda H-Pipe or X-pipe, or maybe the Borla Switchfire and then down the road add an axleback. However, I was looking at the MBRP Installer Street catback and it sounds nice, it's not ear-piercingly loud, and it doesn't cost all that much. I want some of your opinions and decisions. I'm sure a lot of people have been and are in my same boat, and I wanna know what decisions you guys all made. Are there other catbacks that are affordable and sound nice, etc.

Thanks.
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I have '17 with the MBRP Street cat back. Love it! Just the right amount rumble. No drone. And price was outstanding.

I've heard one of the Borlas, I think it was the Sport. Sounded amazing. But I didn't think it sounded 4x better

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have the MBRP Street on my 19, sounded great. A little drone, but doesn't bother me. It is definitely louder than stock, but not obnoxious by any means, nice and deep sounding. I had the roush axleback too and to me that was obnoxious when you got on it and didn't sound good.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Krona

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have '17 with the MBRP Street cat back. Love it! Just the right amount rumble. No drone. And price was outstanding.

I've heard one of the Borlas, I think it was the Sport. Sounded amazing. But I didn't think it sounded 4x better
See that's exactly what I'm saying. I mean sure Borla sounds great and I'd totally buy it for $700, but when it's $1600 and MBRP is $650, I just can't justify it. Also, I am totally more of a fan of a deep grumble than the high-end rasp, hence my wanting for an H-pipe over X.

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
See that's exactly what I'm saying. I mean sure Borla sounds great and I'd totally buy it for $700, but when it's $1600 and MBRP is $650, I just can't justify it. Also, I am totally more of a fan of a deep grumble than the high-end rasp, hence my wanting for an H-pipe over X.
I got my Street on sale at the end of the year for $400. An absolute steal. I love tje rumble and pop when down shifting. Just the right growl.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I got my Street on sale at the end of the year for $400. An absolute steal. I love tje rumble and pop when down shifting. Just the right growl.
What site did you get it from? I didn't pounce at Memorial Day but I don't want to buy it for $650 right now when I know I can wait a couple of months (Or maybe 4th of July) and get it for at least 10% off. What sites did you get it from that discounted it that low?

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What site did you get it from? I didn't pounce at Memorial Day but I don't want to buy it for $650 right now when I know I can wait a couple of months (Or maybe 4th of July) and get it for at least 10% off. What sites did you get it from that discounted it that low?
Hit up Lethal Performance for a good price, they’re great to deal with. I always get my parts from them and reach out to them on FB whenever for the best price (no need to wait for sales).

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I don't want something that's too extremely loud and I don't want to pay like $2,000 for a catback
Depending on your location and the use of road deicers you should stick to grades 304 or 409 SS.

You want to keep the dB's within reason stay with the OEM mufflers and add one of the following.

X-Pipe
https://www.shifteck.com/collection...sonator-delete-x-pipe-stainless-steel-gt-2015

H-Pipe
(Maybe for a Windsor or Cleveland but not a 302 Coyote motor, IMO)

Or the All Time Classic; "MAC ProChamber"
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-cut-and-clamp-pro-chamber-resonator-delete-midpipe-1517-gt.html?utm_content=Exhaust - Midpipe|MAC&T5_Var4=401072&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6zS_c3l4gIVhrbACh1YLQGhEAkYASABEgK7b_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

FYI,
I’m partial to metallic / tinny sounding exhaust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on your location and the use of road deicers you should stick to grades 304 or 409 SS.

You want to keep the dB's within reason stay with the OEM mufflers and add one of the following.

X-Pipe
https://www.shifteck.com/collection...sonator-delete-x-pipe-stainless-steel-gt-2015

H-Pipe
(Maybe for a Windsor or Cleveland but not a 302 Coyote motor, IMO)

Or the All Time Classic; "MAC ProChamber"
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-cut-and-clamp-pro-chamber-resonator-delete-midpipe-1517-gt.html?utm_content=Exhaust - Midpipe|MAC&T5_Var4=401072&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6zS_c3l4gIVhrbACh1YLQGhEAkYASABEgK7b_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Well deicer is not an issue. I'm in Florida all year except for the summer.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
X pipe on stock non active 18 has a tinny sound. Started with that myself to get the toes wet so to speak. Better volume, worse tone. Went to Corsa Xtreme. Sounded amazing on stock and 0 drone. Went ARH LTH. Volume and rasp was over the top but still no drone. Added some Vibrant resonators to calm it down. Wish had gone Corsa Sport from day one instead.

Just personal experience. It's a journey to to find things you do and don't like about any setup.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm considering going Krona on my 17. I think it's one of the small shops that makes a great product that people don't hear about. Sounds really good with headers too. Deeper tone at lower RPM's but sounds like a Corsa in the upper RPM's. Great design and really high quality.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Krona’s System is built by Thermal R&D.
I've heard that before, but I can't see anywhere that confirms it? American Muscle's video on the catback mentions them as a small shop that's growing. I do see the strong similarity between both the Thermal R&D system and this one. I talked to Matt there and he seems like a really stand up guy. Great customer service.

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
X pipe on stock non active 18 has a tinny sound. Started with that myself to get the toes wet so to speak. Better volume, worse tone. Went to Corsa Xtreme. Sounded amazing on stock and 0 drone. Went ARH LTH. Volume and rasp was over the top but still no drone. Added some Vibrant resonators to calm it down. Wish had gone Corsa Sport from day one instead.

Just personal experience. It's a journey to to find things you do and don't like about any setup.
Magnaflow Tru-X Resonated Midpipe with cat deletes or longtubes and non-active OEM mufflers sounds incredible fyi. No drone, no rasp. With the OEM suitcase resonator, it will be raspy, much more so beyond that if you go non-resonated x pipe. That oem suitcase mainly helps with drone not rasp, not a ton of packing really in them compared to the heavily packed Magnaflow.
Sponsored