Sponsored

Need a truck, 5.0 or 3.5 EB?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
You better look again, I was mistaken about the trim level but you can get the H.O. 3.5 ecoboost in a truck other than the raptor. It is standard and the only choice in the limited. In the past when ford allowed the 6.2 raptor engine in a regular 150 it started with the lariats and above and eventually filtered down to the FX4's
I stand corrected. I didn't make it all the way down to the limited. They don't show what that does to the tow rating.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I found it in the sales brochure, 11,100 for a 2wd and 9,400 for a 4x4 for the limited with the 3.5 H.O. engine and 3.55 gears

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
I had a 2012 FX2 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Loved that truck. But like all boosted cars, getting into boost is an event. If you want linear power delivery, go with the 5.0. If you don't mind some turbo lag, and that rush of the turbo once it finally kicks in, get the ecoboost. I just remember the engine liked to eat spark plugs, and wanted them gapped very close for optimum performance. I had mine gapped at .028, per fordtechmakuloko's channel.
maybe in 2012 .the gen 2 ecoboost is in boost immediately off idle theres no lag with 3:55 gear and 10 speed ..

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
My brother has the 5.0, sounds almost as good as my Mustang. Pulls hard and can tow dang near everything we hook to it.

Sponsored

PtheGman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (2.5g, 6 bolt, 4G64)
TBH, you cant really go wrong. That being said, I really liked my modified 3.5 but If I had my Druthers (Id rather be a fence) I would have gone 2.7 off the bat, even for offroad and the towing I was doing. The possibility of a 450hp and over 550lb/ft gas truck will distract you from the 2.7 though...I hope im not actually helping :)
-Paul

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
5.0 A10 all day, followed by the 3.5, the 2.7 would be lit on fire and pushed down a cliff.
As a dealer tech, I would never even look at the 2.7, total nightmare to work on and just not a proven motor. 3.5 is been around and is a great motor, you see 3.5NA motors in box vans and they have no problems at all. Now with the 3.5EB you have to understand what it is, Its Eco or Boost and Boost can drink some gas and it'll boost in a slight cross wind your gas mileage down to 15 without missing a beat.

RyanL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
My new mustang is in the ship right now :thumbsdown:. They gave me a 2019 f150 XLT 4x4 super cab as a loaner. It drove really good. Lots of power. I popped the hood when I got home expecting to see a 5.0. Nope.... 2.7TT. Wtf???! I have been so impressed with this engine! My wife has a ‘15 explorer sport with the 3.5TT and this truck feels much stronger.

I don’t think there’s a bad engine choice tbh. I would have never considered the small 2.7, but I have had a change of heart...

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Really not a very good comparison. 315 in the V8 vs 355 in the V6, but more importantly 700 lbs difference between the two. I won't argue about the fuel mileage, but no way the V8 will keep up with the V6 towing, particularly at elevation. I pull an 8,500 lb TT with the truck loaded and it pulls like an angry mule. As mentioned above, the 3.5 Ecoboost is the closest thing you'll get to a diesel towing with a gasser.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Just throw a whipple on the coyote and it'll leave the egoboost in the dust even while towing. And you will never get great mileage while towing. If you want good mileage go buy a god damn Prius.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I personally would stay away from an ecoboost engine, unless I was planning to only keep it while it was in warranty.

I also prefer the sound of the V8.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd go 5.0 all the way. I'm trying to figure out what my next DD is going to be, and an F150 is high on the list. I'm hoping the 5.0 is still around (not to mention the regular cab short bed 4x4 configuration) when I'm ready to order....

A co-worker is finding out first-hand what owning an EB is like out of warranty, a 2013 with a bit over 80K miles. Warped exhaust manifold (it's a thing I guess) + leaking timing cover = several grand out of pocket. Not much in parts, but apparently they're a bitch to work on.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I personally would stay away from an ecoboost engine, unless I was planning to only keep it while it was in warranty.

I also prefer the sound of the V8.
The Ecoboost has no more problems inherently than any other engine. I mean, look at all the horror stories about the 5.0 on this site alone... Yet mine runs like a scalded cat.

Still prefer the eco in the truck. It's a better truck engine if you actually use your truck like a truck. No $10,000 sc required.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Ecoboost has no more problems inherently than any other engine. I mean, look at all the horror stories about the 5.0 on this site alone... Yet mine runs like a scalded cat.

Still prefer the eco in the truck. It's a better truck engine if you actually use your truck like a truck. No $10,000 sc required.
The EB is inherently more complicated than the 5.0 with quite a few more components in it. I has turbos that run very hot and increase the heat under the hood - everything under the hood has to live in a hotter environment. The engine is smaller displacement and more over-stressed.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that - given a power/torque requirement and everything else being equal - a larger displacement engine tends to be more reliable. And a naturally aspirated engine tends to be more reliable than a boosted engine.

I prefer a large displacement NA engine in any pickup - and any other vehicle really. I have a V10 in my Ford pickup. It's 20 years old, but works great. Perfect for plowing and hauling.
Sponsored