Headers and exhaust options that neighbors won't hate

Jinlel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
As of now, I'm running a 2015 Mustang GT/PP. Only mods on the car is the Roush Phase 1 Supercharger (and Roush Phase 1 tune) and Roush Axleback exhaust. Along with potentially upgrading to the Roush Phase 2 kit, I also was looking into installing long tube headers (likely Kooks, just because I've had good experiences with their products before) and their green cats. However, the issue I'd have is that my current catback setup would result in loud and raspy cold starts.

I'm not as worried about deepness or tone, and I'm not necessarily trying to make it silent, but I'm more-so trying to focus on a somewhat more neighbor-friendly volume. If you guys have any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Sponsored

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
You might try some Vibrant resonators. They should tone it down.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I've got the full ARH catted exhaust with x-pipe. I started with the ARH H-pipe catback which sounded great but I wanted just a little more sound. Like you, I didn't want a loud, attention seeking car. So when I installed the headers I also put Magnaflow 14419 (20") straight-through mufflers after the x-pipe position as far back as possible.

Car is approximately the same loudness at idle as it was with just the catback, I was surprised. Huge difference when wide open though and I think it sounds great inside with the windows down. It's easy to keep quiet if needed, it's definitely bit tamer than it would be without the Magnaflows. Absolutely no issues with neighbors or attention - especially with a tune that gets rid of the high idle period during a cold start.

It is loud for sure when wide open though, no way around it. One of the tracks here has a "96 dB at 50 feet" sound limit. They monitor all day along the two longest straights. I tripped it one lap at around 98 dB which is disappointing since that was one of the main reasons I installed the Magnaflows.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I added Vibrant 1794s (3" in and out 12" long) to my ARH LTH to Corsa Xtreme setup. Toned down over all volume and tamed some of the rasp. Definitely more refined than before.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My setup works great. I keep my garage shut for the initial start, but after about 10 seconds, it's not bad since I am tuned. My idle is almost too quiet. Once I get over about 4k rpm is when mine picks up noise. Very controllable.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I keep my garage shut for the initial start, but after about 10 seconds, it's not bad since I am tuned
This, plus backing into the garage too helps.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Always makes me chuckle when I see people trying to quiet down systems after doing headers.

Stock exhaust will be quiet.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Always makes me chuckle when I see people trying to quiet down systems after doing headers.

The struggle is real :sunglasses:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

I think I almost made mine too quiet with the Vibrant's at low RPM's. It's not that I hate my neighbors at all, I just need a little more low RPM noise so I don't sound stock at idle, lol. The balance part is difficult between a good low rpm grunt and wake the dead at 5k rpm.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think I almost made mine too quiet with the Vibrant's at low RPM's. It's not that I hate my neighbors at all, I just need a little more low RPM noise so I don't sound stock at idle, lol. The balance part is difficult between a good low rpm grunt and wake the dead at 5k rpm.
That's kinda the Corsa Sport catback. Low throttle/low rpm is a bit underwhelming (but why it's so neighborhood and cruising friendly). Open it up a little and it makes it all worth it.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I just need a little more low RPM noise so I don't sound stock at idle
I saw one user describe the idle with the Xtreme as an old truck lol. I feel the Vibrants refined it past that at least. Definitely toned down rasp and trumpety sound. To this day though still wish I would've gone Sport to begin with but hindsight is 20/20.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I saw one user describe the idle with the Xtreme as an old truck lol. I feel the Vibrants refined it past that at least. Definitely toned down rasp and trumpety sound. To this day though still wish I would've gone Sport to begin with but hindsight is 20/20.
The Sport is an amazing balance honestly. I think at this point we're just nitpicking areas or just ready for something different. The joys of car modding and changing things.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
The Sport is an amazing balance honestly. I think at this point we're just nitpicking areas or just ready for something different. The joys of car modding and changing things.
Yup! At this point in the build not worth dropping a grand on the axle back when the Vibrants take care of alot of the initial volume / rasp. That can be used to swap the front Brembo rotors for Eradispeed or towards FI etc :)

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Just because I like you guys I would be willing to trade you my stock exhaust with reso delete.

You’re welcome.
Sponsored