Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was driving to work on Monday when the CEL came on soon after I exited the highway. Took it to AutoZone to have the codes pulled and it showed P0430 Catalytic Converter efficiency below threshold for bank 2. I initially thought it was a bad O2 sensor and took it into a Ford dealer for further diagnosis. I got a call back today stating the cat had actually failed and needed to be replaced, under warranty of course. I was still shocked to see the OEM cat fail at just around 8300 miles on the car. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored

91gt331sc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt, 2017 mustang gt
I have a 2019 gt with 2900 miles and got the same code. I went with catted longtubes instead. I did return the old driver side cat for a new replacement. My brother is a service manager at a Ford dealer and said he has replaced another one on a mustang and a few on f-150's

OP
OP
shravanj

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2019 gt with 2900 miles and got the same code. I went with catted longtubes instead. I did return the old driver side cat for a new replacement. My brother is a service manager at a Ford dealer and said he has replaced another one on a mustang and a few on f-150's
Good to know I'm not the only one. Still strange that a cat could go bad so quickly though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious, how are they failing?

Meaning, is the catalytic honey comb breaking apart, or is it melting?

Sponsored

OP
OP
shravanj

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just curious, how are they failing?

Meaning, is the catalytic honey comb breaking apart, or is it melting?
Not sure, I’ll ask the dealer what happened when I pick up the car.

OP
OP
shravanj

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe the supercharger on your car OP?
Its possible it’s tune related, but I’m still running the latest Roush tune which has a CARB E.O so I’d think it would be friendly towards the factory cats.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Its possible it’s tune related, but I’m still running the latest Roush tune which has a CARB E.O so I’d think it would be friendly towards the factory cats.
It is not uncommon for aftermarket supercharger to toast a cat regardless of tuning. Especially if temps outside are up and your running the car fairly hard. If I am not mistaken the Roush has an undersized heat exchanger/intercooler which will add to the heat issue.

OP
OP
shravanj

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It is not uncommon for aftermarket supercharger to toast a cat regardless of tuning. Especially if temps outside are up and your running the car fairly hard. If I am not mistaken the Roush has an undersized heat exchanger/intercooler which will add to the heat issue.
Makes sense. I haven’t driven the car particularly hard recently but maybe it was residual damage that led up to the cat failing. Hopefully the dealer knows why it failed. Thanks for the insight though.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Anyone's cat smell like sulphure ?

Sponsored