Sponsored

Living in OK, buying in TX... TTL question

kwbasshamjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1, '16 F150 XLT 4WD 5.0
Per the title, living in OK but buying in Texas. The dealership/salesman is saying I pay Oklahoma TTL to them rather than paying when I register the vehicle back home. I’ve read evidence of both things happening but am interested in anyone else’s experience. I found a form on TX DMV site that is a Texas sales tax exemption for out of state residents so not sure why the dealership is being ornery.
Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Per the title, living in OK but buying in Texas. The dealership/salesman is saying I pay Oklahoma TTL to them rather than paying when I register the vehicle back home. I’ve read evidence of both things happening but am interested in anyone else’s experience. I found a form on TX DMV site that is a Texas sales tax exemption for out of state residents so not sure why the dealership is being ornery.
I would call the TXDMV as well as OKDMV and get the story straight. I can’t imagine that there is any standing agreement between TX and OK for handling taxes. Here you pay when you get plates for the car, and the dealer is only involved if you’re staying in-state. I don’t think I’d trust the dealer on this one...

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I bought mine out of state and the dealer collected sales tax and tags for my state. They used a registration service in my state to get it done.

OP
OP

kwbasshamjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine out of state and the dealer collected sales tax and tags for my state. They used a registration service in my state to get it done.
What do you show your state's DMV to show that you've paid so you can get a title and tags?

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Typically they'll get mailed to you. However I just purchased a car in Alabama but live in Texas. TXDOT told me that once the dealership submits taxes and Tags and receives a confirmation (tracking number) and gives it to me, I can go into the DMV, show them my inspection, give them the tracking and they will give me plates. Waiting for the dealership to give me a tracking number so I can do this.
What do you show your state's DMV to show that you've paid so you can get a title and tags?

Sponsored

Duramax557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush 3
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Nebraska bought mine in Tennessee and had to pay my Nebraska tax and title registration in Tennessee when I got the car. They then sent it to Nebraska.

OP
OP

kwbasshamjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Nebraska bought mine in Tennessee and had to pay my Nebraska tax and title registration in Tennessee when I got the car. They then sent it to Nebraska.
This TX dealership won't budge off of collecting at their dealership, aggravating. I called TX DMV this morning and they said it's not required but dealership is saying their Ford rebates are in jeopardy if the car doesn't get registered in a certain amount of time. If this car wasn't the exact one I wanted I'd be so gone by now.

Duramax557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush 3
Vehicle Showcase
What’s it matter if u pay it to them. As long as it goes to your tax and title it’s the same money.

OP
OP

kwbasshamjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s it matter if u pay it to them. As long as it goes to your tax and title it’s the same money.
I agree, as long as the amount is correct. In this case, the dealership seems a little unsure (at least initially) of how to handle an out-of-state buyer so it was a matter of comfort and confidence that OK get's their money and I don't get hit for tax twice.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
They sent me the new tags. The dealer paid a local registration service to register the car for me.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Bought a raptor in Louisiana and I live in Arizona. Paid the cost of the truck and paid ttl about a month later in Phoenix. My understanding is that you pay to the state you live in not purchasing from.

OP
OP

kwbasshamjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought a raptor in Louisiana and I live in Arizona. Paid the cost of the truck and paid ttl about a month later in Phoenix. My understanding is that you pay to the state you live in not purchasing from.
you're right, but some dealerships collect on behalf of your state. after talking with DMVs they both cautioned to be aware of the costs you should pay as some dealerships use this as a way to over charge and pocket the difference. ultimately i walked away from the deal because they were being secretive about other 'non tax fees'. they claimed it was a dealership inventory tax (which is a real thing in Texas) but were overcharging it by about 700%.
Sponsored