Sponsored

Add me to the list nobody wants to be on .....

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
DAY 19 + (add 11 days when the car was taking in before it was looked at the 1st time.)

UPDATE:
DAY 30:

FORD IS REPLACING MY ENGINE UNDER WARRANTY.

So stay tune.
I suspect you may not think so but I think you're very fortunate. Go buy a lotto ticket.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
DAY 19 + (add 11 days when the car was taking in before it was looked at the 1st time.)

UPDATE:
DAY 30:

So stay tune.
Can you tell us what caused the engine failure?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I suspect you may not think so but I think you're very fortunate. Go buy a lotto ticket.
Because no one with an engine mod should ever have their warranty honored, right?

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5

UPDATE:
DAY 30:

So stay tune.
Glad to hear it. Either they determined it wasn't the tune/mods or those extortion photos you have of Ford effing sheep worked. :wink:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
He's lucky in the fact that Ford could have just straight up denied warranty(even if it was completely unrelated to the tune) and made him go through all the motions. Instead, they were reasonable and agreed to do a tear-down(with OP footing the bill unless it wasn't his fault) to get to the bottom of what really caused the motor to fail. This is a good thing for everyone, and proves that mods don't automatically void warranties.

With that being said, I still wouldn't touch this motor because I don't want to deal with potential issues with Ford, and I definitely don't want to risk paying out of pocket for a motor replacement because I wanted an extra 15whp. You guys should stop being sticklers and stop believing that mods automatically void warranties. The Magnusson-Moss act is there to protect all of us from unreasonable warranty denials, but if you do mod, you also have to ready to go all the way with either paying up yourself if you caused the motor failure, or deal with the potential headache and costs of getting a lawyer and getting them to do what's right if they're wrong.

In the end, all OP wanted was a fair assessment of what went wrong and to find out who is ultimately responsible. Is that too much to ask for?

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Congrats dude. Pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Fill us in on whatever details of the failure you can.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
So I have not seen the tear down for myself yet. I had some after hours work functions to go to today, so I did not get a chance to go see it. What was interesting was it seems Ford sent someone there to see it. The Manager was happy to tell me about the engine replacement, but I could literally hear someone in the background giving instructions

I was told that it was not the oil pickup assembly as I had thought, but then I heard the voice and the conversation ceased. I think its something at the crank or what I have been seeing is the little "ring piece" coming apart ? Forgive I am not sure what that is called. The manager was doing a lot of "read in between the lines" talk when I asked certain questions, so I let it go until I can get there and see for myself.

Overall I'm happy. I received my day in court and it was proven what I stood by in the beginning. Also what Shift said. I was prepared to go all the way, but in truth he is correct. It's a lot to go through for a little HP and sound. The Mag act as I said also from the beginning is there to protect us. Use correctly it will. But that also means you cannot go crazy and say this is covered under the mag act. There is a limit, a fine line between it all, and I happened to come out on the other side because I knew, what I had done did not cause this type of damage. Now if I would have went further, F/I perhaps, then I would probably be eating the cost, and probably would not have gone this route. But alas, there is a lot of IF's in this passage.

BTW 27k for the engine, or at least that was what I was told.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Great outcome. Interested to get the "you didn't hear this from me" version of what really failed.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
So I have not seen the tear down for myself yet. I had some after hours work functions to go to today, so I did not get a chance to go see it. What was interesting was it seems Ford sent someone there to see it. The Manager was happy to tell me about the engine replacement, but I could literally hear someone in the background giving instructions

I was told that it was not the oil pickup assembly as I had thought, but then I heard the voice and the conversation ceased. I think its something at the crank or what I have been seeing is the little "ring piece" coming apart ? Forgive I am not sure what that is called. The manager was doing a lot of "read in between the lines" talk when I asked certain questions, so I let it go until I can get there and see for myself.

Overall I'm happy. I received my day in court and it was proven what I stood by in the beginning. Also what Shift said. I was prepared to go all the way, but in truth he is correct. It's a lot to go through for a little HP and sound. The Mag act as I said also from the beginning is there to protect us. Use correctly it will. But that also means you cannot go crazy and say this is covered under the mag act. There is a limit, a fine line between it all, and I happened to come out on the other side because I knew, what I had done did not cause this type of damage. Now if I would have went further, F/I perhaps, then I would probably be eating the cost, and probably would not have gone this route. But alas, there is a lot of IF's in this passage.

Very well said. If you have it in you, dig into what the actual cause of the failure was.

It was probably smart on your part to not ask too many questions while you had the manager on the phone and he was being coached by someone on what to say.

Get as much information as you can from the manager.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Sounds like either the front seal on the front engine cover or the oil housing o-ring that seals the oil pickup-to-oil pump housing connection. Latter is my bet.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

UPDATE:
DAY 30:

So stay tune.
WOW! That is great news! Your due diligence payed off. I must say you are one lucky SOB!

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
UPDATE:

So this morning I went down to my dealer to see my baby. To my surprise, the new engine was already sitting on the motor lift, ready to be hoisted back in. I had one of the service guys with me, so he was giving me full access. The tech who did the tear down was working on something so I went to take a look at my new motor. Looking good. I walked back with the the rep to talk about a extended warranty on my Betty, (F150 Lariat), then when he finished I went back out and went to the bays again. The tech was taking a break so I was able to talk to him now with nobody around. So....here's what happened.

Rods 3 and 6 let go. not sure why, but they went boom. Rod 3 punch a hole in the block by the oil pan, 6 punch a hole out of the other side. Metal everywhere. He thought as well as Ford that the oil gasket for the assembly gave, but it did not. Nor did the oil assembly go. The rods just went boom. Of course the old engine was crated up and boxed, ready to go back to Ford. Yes, Ford a guy there doing the tear down with the tech. They both determined that what I did, and the tune was just basically a header tune. They had someone there to look at that to, and from what the tech said, they had a conversation with someone who does a lot of tunes. He was guessing the guy who wrote the tune. Ford rep was cool, but was hush hush about the failure. In fact, they were basically "tell him he has a new engine and that's that." I explains the call and how it went.

I spoke with someone else in the tech department and he told me that the pics of the damage was deleted. On my way out, someone I deal with a lot told me he would get the pics to me. So I'll wait to see what happens.
I looked up the engine part number and it is a 19 GT350r motor. :rockon:. The tech told me he was waiting on a harness to come in because it was different, but I should have my car back next week. :like:

Have to say this was a interesting experience, I would not want to do it again, but in the end it worked out. I'll leave a few pics I took here.

-htcmiRp5e7y6f8R1uBRZK8RjgPAnCYbbhG53hWNXlCxvRRgz-OSJdN9i2KwthlkfaiSVqgfM9-a6_JLWc=w948-h1263-no.jpg

13etwDG6ezixT-3okqSZfqLCxzVzK9SZdecZqiZ7EClM-ilK7gRSqQQGzp7ePHz-COioJh1O_RhE9buzHs=w948-h1263-no.jpg

ZcDUqQL3zpWU4urvX0lOGGuI9m2jHnisilqRwBkdnih4QfiQw7MxpdrD3UpB8a22MoQWUFNd491mkFyWE=w1684-h1263-no.jpg

This is Betty btw :)
Sponsored