Installed Borla Atak from Meraki Autoworks

Mikerob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
So I was one of the guys who was hesitant of changing the exhaust after the reso delete. After a review from galaxy and a outstanding price from Meraki Autoworks I pulled the trigger. For context I drive around with the windows up and the backseat down.

The first thing I noticed was the low rpm part throttle tone. Stock it has a somewhat messy blat,blat,blat sound until about 3500 rpm. The borla changes that sound to more of a exotic sound. It's a lot deeper and resonates ALOT more through the cabin. 6th gear is also louder than the reso delete. It's slightly louder overall but I think that's mainly because it's deeper in tone.

Now the part that everyone is concerned about. Will I lose the flat plane crank characteristics. In a word no. Everything is amplified. The only way I could describe it is the reso delete is a lighter tone and higher pitch as opposed to the borla which is a more refined aggressive tone. Borla doesn't do a great job on their video of capturing the sound. Check out some of the amateur videos on YouTube. I was really worried on the drive home but after some miles I couldn't be happier. If you're on the fence about the price Meraki won't let you down and I recieved mine less than a day after I ordered it.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Good to hear! I'll be less on the fence when California finishes repealing it's exhaust law.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I can vouch for Meraki Autoworks, great pricing and quick shipping. Grabbed my Stainless Works headers from them. Im still playing with my exhaust setup as well, trying to find the right tone. Ill keep Borla in mind...

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Too bad borla still can't make quality xpipe. Just installed the atak on my buddies Challenger and the x pipe is just awful. This exhaust also had a 2019 production date.

I have mine paired with shiftek and it sounds awesome.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Too bad borla still can't make quality xpipe. Just installed the atak on my buddies Challenger and the x pipe is just awful. This exhaust also had a 2019 production date.

Shit...that reminds me I was supposed to talk to Daves @ Borla about that. He never got back in touch with me and it fell off my radar. I might try to follow up again with him. But yea...awful.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikerob

Mikerob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

I still have my shifteck welded to the OEM exhaust. I wonder how much the borla x impacts sound and flow. Did you ever have the borla x on or did you install the shifteck right away?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have the shifteck. Never installed the borla xpipe.

Installed the complete borla atak on a customers car but later on he got in an accident and damaged the front section of the exhaust. The rear mufflers were fine so I bought the atak mufflers and the rear piping from him and installed it on my car with the shifteck x pipe.

Killer combo.

Mine took about 1000 miles or so to break in and sounded louder and crisper after the break in.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
resonates ALOT more through the cabin. 6th gear is also louder than the reso delete. It's slightly louder overall but I think that's mainly because it's deeper in tone.
Is this perhaps because the audio system is tuned to actively cancel out the sound of the stock exhaust?

I was baffled when I first got mine in the garage how much louder it suddenly was when I opened the doors. Close the doors, extremely quiet, windows down. Open the doors again = loud booming. I just read yesterday that the active noise cancellation shuts off when you open the doors.

OP
OP
Mikerob

Mikerob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Is this perhaps because the audio system is tuned to actively cancel out the sound of the stock exhaust?

I was baffled when I first got mine in the garage how much louder it suddenly was when I opened the doors. Close the doors, extremely quiet, windows down. Open the doors again = loud booming. I just read yesterday that the active noise cancellation shuts off when you open the doors.
I meant in the way you feel it in the car while in motion. With the reso delete it would slightly rattle the interior, but the atak rattles everything. It's much deeper than the stock mufflers.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

That reminds me, I did see their x-pipe before. One of the ugliest and crude x-pipes I've ever seen. A proper set up would be Borla+Shifteck, but that's straight up dumb that you'd have to do that to get a proper looking exhaust.

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
This is good to hear for me...not wanting to hijack the thread but I believe it’s inline with the topic.

So I’m on Kooks catless long tubes, factory R x pipe,10 inch kooks resonators and factory mufflers.

Exhaust is very loud and has a weird rattle/rasp u til 3k rpm or so. Trying to figure out how to a)eliminate the wired raspy rattle hollow sound below 3k and quiet it down a little.

Kooks is suggesting longer resonators and their custom H pipe. I’m thinking to do mufflers at the same time but want to keep the active exhaust. What’s everyone’s opinion?

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
This is good to hear for me...not wanting to hijack the thread but I believe it’s inline with the topic.

So I’m on Kooks catless long tubes, factory R x pipe,10 inch kooks resonators and factory mufflers.

Exhaust is very loud and has a weird rattle/rasp u til 3k rpm or so. Trying to figure out how to a)eliminate the wired raspy rattle hollow sound below 3k and quiet it down a little.

Kooks is suggesting longer resonators and their custom H pipe. I’m thinking to do mufflers at the same time but want to keep the active exhaust. What’s everyone’s opinion?
I have catless Stainless Works long tubes, Shifteck H-Pipe on stock mufflers and I had that dreaded low rpm rasp. I inserted 14" Flowmaster #71416 straight through core (non chambered) muffler/resonators on the H-pipe and it eliminated the rasp. The overall exhaust note toned down quite a bit but its still louder than stock setup. I'm curious how it all would sound eliminating the stock chambered mufflers and going with just the non chambered straight through cores......I may try it soon.

IMG_E5394.JPG

Last edited:

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I have catless Stainless Works long tubes, Shifteck H-Pipe on stock mufflers and I had that dreaded low rpm rasp. I inserted 14" Flowmaster straight through core (non chambered) muffler/resonators on the H-pipe and it eliminated the rasp. The overall exhaust note toned down quite a bit but its still louder than stock setup. I'm curious how it all would sound eliminating the stock chambered mufflers and going with just the non chambered straight through cores......I may try it soon.

IMG_E5394.JPG
Thanks! Other than the H pipe and the size of our resonators (mine are 10”) we have similar set ups. Have you considered the magnaflow mufflers? They leverage the active exhaust and supposedly give a much deeper tone.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Thanks! Other than the H pipe and the size of our resonators (mine are 10”) we have similar set ups. Have you considered the magnaflow mufflers? They leverage the active exhaust and supposedly give a much deeper tone.
No I haven't looked into other replacement mufflers just yet. This setup sounds much better after I put the resonators back on. Im looking into dropping weight now, and I have some ideas in mind like bolting on aluminum exhaust piping after the h-pipe section instead of SS, but again just ideas....I need to do some research and talk to some local performance shops.