Sponsored

Add me to the list nobody wants to be on .....

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would pay the extra for a tear down. Their initial position is to deny warranty, so there isn't much to lose and I would want to know. If it was OPG, or oil pump related, that will be hard to justify that it was the tune. On a few previous threads, dealership didn't do a tear down, so the failure remained a mystery.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
ELI5 version: Installing mods does not automatically void warranty. If it's proven that his mods is the cause of the motor blowing, OP has to take full responsibility. If it's something unrelated, like say oil pump gear failure, Ford will cover it.

If you're still confused, God help you.
Even more than not understanding, borderline/flat out accusing the OP of illegal activity (“extort”). :crazy:
I think there are mods that void a factory drivetrain warranty. Period. End of story. I know ya'll are telling me that if the failure is unrelated to the mods, then Ford covers the warranty. Like I said, I'm interested to see what Ford's position is after the dust settles. There's nothing more to say.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I think there are mods that void a factory drivetrain warranty. Period. End of story. I know ya'll are telling me that if the failure is unrelated to the mods, then Ford covers the warranty. Like I said, I'm interested to see what Ford's position is after the dust settles. There's nothing more to say.
Good for you, but what do you and others care what the OP does in this situation? If anything he is doing you/us a favor in finding out why his motor blew. I'd think it is valuable information as in don't get a certain tune or add headers because this/xyz could happen. Or more info as to why Voodoos are needing to be replaced etc. What good does it do insulting the OP and accusing him of crap or trying to shout him down?

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested to see what Ford's position is after the dust settles. There's nothing more to say.
If anything he is doing you/us a favor in finding out why his motor blew. I'd think it is valuable information as in don't get a certain tune or add headers because this/xyz could happen
So it's settled. Everyone's agreed. We all just want to see what happens.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That's exactly what they are - powdered metal pressed into a form.
I used to think that too.

On June 2, 2015 I was lucky enough to be invited to the "Powertrain Reveal" for the upcoming GT350. The event was held at 777 Republic Drive in Allen Park, Michigan. This was SVT's headquarters and a building they shared with Roush. My job was to document the engine and transmission as best as possible, be it interviews, photographs, etc. I worked with Steve Turner (former Editor of 5.0 magazine) and Travis Hill from SVT Performance.

Long story short, I had the opportunity to go toe to toe with Adam Christian, the ICE engineer at Ford behind the Voodoo engine. I fired off plenty of technical questions as we studied every engine component in detail, and he answered every one of them until I was satisfied. It was the best back and forth I have ever had and instantly made me a huge fan of the team that made this engine happen. We were one on one for over a half hour and I then realized that the big name "press" were all standing nearby keeping their mouths closed but scribbling notes as best they could. I don't think they understood or were aware of much of our detailed conversation.

zzzzzzzzzz IMG_7780- w svtp wm.jpg~original.jpg

Anyway, the connecting rods. It was mentioned during the presentation (to a small handful of journalists) that the 5.2L FPC engine was going to use forged connecting rods. I immediately made a mental note as this causes quite a bit of confusion. Years ago, "forged" implied that a given connecting rod had been drop forged in order to make it stronger (in comparison to a typical "cast" connecting rod). Today, may refer to powdered connecting rods as being forged, thereby creating the assumption that they are a traditional forging when indeed they are not. Drives me nuts when I hear someone refer to a powdered rod as a forged rod. The powder may indeed be pressed but the gist is that this is not the same process - at all.

So when Adam and I got to the connecting rod on the display table I brought all of this up. Adam smiled and said to me very clearly - the 5.2L engine will use a "real deal" forging. The material used is 46Mn (to be more succinct I believe it is 46MnVS6) and the rods come from Mahle. This is the strongest material suitable for a fracture-split volume-production forged light-vehicle connecting rod.

zzzzzzzzzz IMG_7785- w svtp wm.jpg~original.jpg

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Good luck OP. I'm not surprised one bit that you're getting all this back lash from some people here.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I used to think that too.

On June 2, 2015 I was lucky enough to be invited to the "Powertrain Reveal" for the upcoming GT350. The event was held at 777 Republic Drive in Allen Park, Michigan. This was SVT's headquarters and a building they shared with Roush. My job was to document the engine and transmission as best as possible, be it interviews, photographs, etc. I worked with Steve Turner (former Editor of 5.0 magazine) and Travis Hill from SVT Performance.

Long story short, I had the opportunity to go toe to toe with Adam Christian, the ICE engineer at Ford behind the Voodoo engine. I fired off plenty of technical questions as we studied every engine component in detail, and he answered every one of them until I was satisfied. It was the best back and forth I have ever had and instantly made me a huge fan of the team that made this engine happen. We were one on one for over a half hour and I then realized that the big name "press" were all standing nearby keeping their mouths closed but scribbling notes as best they could. I don't think they understood or were aware of much of our detailed conversation.

zzzzzzzzzz IMG_7780- w svtp wm.jpg~original.jpg

Anyway, the connecting rods. It was mentioned during the presentation (to a small handful of journalists) that the 5.2L FPC engine was going to use forged connecting rods. I immediately made a mental note as this causes quite a bit of confusion. Years ago, "forged" implied that a given connecting rod had been drop forged in order to make it stronger (in comparison to a typical "cast" connecting rod). Today, may refer to powdered connecting rods as being forged, thereby creating the assumption that they are a traditional forging when indeed they are not. Drives me nuts when I hear someone refer to a powdered rod as a forged rod. The powder may indeed be pressed but the gist is that this is not the same process - at all.

So when Adam and I got to the connecting rod on the display table I brought all of this up. Adam smiled and said to me very clearly - the 5.2L engine will use a "real deal" forging. The material used is 46Mn (to be more succinct I believe it is 46MnVS6) and the rods come from Mahle. This is the strongest material suitable for a fracture-split volume-production forged light-vehicle connecting rod.

zzzzzzzzzz IMG_7785- w svtp wm.jpg~original.jpg
Thanks for the great information.
i hear the pistons are also a high quality Mahle .

I am sending my long block to the builder to make sure there is no other reason for my bent rods other than “too much boost “

If I end up sleeving (I expect the damage to the plasma lining from the bent rods ) and need to replace pistons then I will be rebuilding with diamond pistons and the Manley rods below .

If by chance I don’t need to sleeve the block and can reuse the stock pistons I may just “upgrade the rods

At least I had assumed (and been told by builder ) they were an upgrade on the stock rods .

The Manley H tuff rods(step up from the H rods) or the more expensive Oliver I beam rods are an option but will not be be able to be used with an OEM type piston
They would work though with Mahle Cobra jet pistons .
Tjhe stronger rods I think are heavier which according to my builder may cause more vibration with the FPC.
http://www.manleyperformance.com/niche/ford/voodoo_rods.shtml
95DF9A32-28EB-4F74-99AB-06CCF6201643.png

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
DAY 19 + (add 11 days when the car was taking in before it was looked at the 1st time.)

UPDATE:
DAY 30:

FORD IS REPLACING MY ENGINE UNDER WARRANTY.

So stay tune.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
DAY 19 + (add 11 days when the car was taking in before it was looked at the 1st time.)

UPDATE:
DAY 30:

FORD IS REPLACING MY ENGINE UNDER WARRANTY.

So stay tune.
Congrats! Glad to hear that the failure wasn't related to the tune.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Yes. Looks to be on the bottom, near the number 3. I still need to go and see it up close and personal. I have seen pics so far
Sponsored