Sponsored

Extended Warranty.. did you, or did you not?

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Factory warranty only. If it breaks so be it, I will get it repaired. Put that money somewhere else where I can see a return on investment.
Just using a quick compound calculator if you took the 1,400-ish for the Flood 8/125 and put it into an account that would get 10% you'd have over 3k in 8 years. Are you likely to spend 3k on repairs in 8 years that the warranty would cover? Probably not. But if you need a motor, AC repair (or two), tranny, etc then that's ate up. It's also assuming all the money stays in the account getting interest the entire 8 years. That's putting the money in their day one. If you want till your 3y/36k is up you'll have less.

You pay now and hope nothing happens but if you need a repair or a total of repairs over 8 years that cost more than 3k the warranty makes sense. That's assuming an relatively easily obtainable 10% interest.

Obviously Ford isn't in the business of losing money on these warranties. But there is also a reason they give 3y/36k and not a 8y/125k with the sale of the car.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Just using a quick compound calculator if you took the 1,400-ish for the Flood 8/125 and put it into an account that would get 10% you'd have over 3k in 8 years. Are you likely to spend 3k on repairs in 8 years that the warranty would cover? Probably not. But if you need a motor, AC repair (or two), tranny, etc then that's ate up. It's also assuming all the money stays in the account getting interest the entire 8 years. That's putting the money in their day one. If you want till your 3y/36k is up you'll have less.

You pay now and hope nothing happens but if you need a repair or a total of repairs over 8 years that cost more than 3k the warranty makes sense. That's assuming an relatively easily obtainable 10% interest.

Obviously Ford isn't in the business of losing money on these warranties. But there is also a reason they give 3y/36k and not a 8y/125k with the sale of the car.
:facepalm: Obviously you have no idea what your talking about...

OP
OP
Norklin

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Cancelled the third party crap and got the ford premium 6/75k for just around 2,400. the 2400 is worth my piece of mind from 36k to 75k. Also to the power train comment, the ones we are buying cover computers and other crap, which is what im actually worried about. If the tranny goes after warranty its getting built.

Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Factory warranty only. If it breaks so be it, I will get it repaired. Put that money somewhere else where I can see a return on investment.
When I bought mine, I put $2K in a savings account. If I need it, it'll be there. If I don't need it (the more likely circumstance), it'll STILL be there (or maybe $2,020) :D

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
An extended warranty is only worth it if you are willing to and can afford the top tier, longest stretch...

All extended warranties start at the END of any existing warranty... meaning:

If someone buys say a 75k extended, it won’t start until the 3/36 is done... so essentially, they really only purchased a 39k warranty. Any warranty repairs, regardless of which extended warranty was purchased will always be covered by the 3/36 before the extended, period.

Starting at 37k is when the “75k” will kick in and at that point, there is only 39k (or x-years) to play with before its expired.

So for those planning on keeping the car long term, buying a 100k, 120k, or even some 150k warranties are worth the cost, because you’ll have more coverage for a longer term.

I have a 120k extended, so I have 84k of warranty coverage after my 3/36 is done (or another 60k after the 5/60 is done), whichever way you want to look at it.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
We use to love people who bought extended warranties when I sold cars. Paint protection and interior protection
got Xmas cards.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i bought extended warranty and GAP when i bought the car.. they gave me crap when i took car in to be looked at so i canceled it, wont buy extended crap again. probably good for peace of mind if you dont like to do many mods

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I did. I bought it balanced to low miles and long time.. I only drive 6000 per year or less so I got something like 8 years 80k and got the version that covers just about everything excluding wear items and lights.

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
mine is only driven around 5K per year so I bought the 8yr/48k mile premium from Ford. Good peace of mind for my wife for only around a grand.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
With the factory stuff being 3/36k and 5/60k on the power train what did you opt for?

I signed up for the base bumper to bumper 8 year/120k, but can be cancelled. I feel like I will want a power adder way before this anyways. What are your thoughts?
Go to Floodfordesp.com and pick what you want. I did the premcare for 6 years/125000 miles. What to many sensors and expensive components on today's cars to not have it.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Cancelled the third party crap and got the ford premium 6/75k for just around 2,400. the 2400 is worth my piece of mind from 36k to 75k. Also to the power train comment, the ones we are buying cover computers and other crap, which is what im actually worried about. If the tranny goes after warranty its getting built.
I paid less than $1500 for 6yr/125k for premcare from floodfordesp.com. You may want to cancel that expensive plan they sold you and buy from floodfordesp

OP
OP
Norklin

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
I paid less than $1500 for 6yr/125k for premcare from floodfordesp.com. You may want to cancel that expensive plan they sold you and buy from floodfordesp
Read the rest of the thread.

In Florida you cannot buy out of state coverage.
Sponsored