Sponsored

New LT1 V8 trim for 2020 Camaro

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
So LT1 is both a name for a Corvette engine AND a name for a Camaro option package?
The LT1 is used in both the Corvette and the Camaro. GM isn't putting the "Corvette motor" in the Camaro. It's the same motor designed for both cars. Just like GM uses the same LT4 for the ZL1 and the Grand Sport. It's like when I see a car on Craigslist with the "Corvette motor, and 3/4 race cam"

Not all GM V8s are Corvette motors :cwl:

But I don't know why GM is calling this option package the LT1. It's definitely confusing, especially if you can get this package with either the turbo 4 or the V6.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The LT1 is used in both the Corvette and the Camaro. GM isn't putting the "Corvette motor" in the Camaro. It's the same motor designed for both cars. Just like GM uses the same LT4 for the ZL1 and the Grand Sport. It's like when I see a car on Craigslist with the "Corvette motor, and 3/4 race cam"

Not all GM V8s are Corvette motors :cwl:

But I don't know why GM is calling this option package the LT1. It's definitely confusing, especially if you can get this package with either the turbo 4 or the V6.
Not to confuse this any more than the wizards at Chevy Marketing, but....
  • 1LT is a base Chevrolet vehicle trim. That is available with either the 2.0T L4 or the 3.6 V6
  • LT1 is a 6.2L V8 standard in the Corvette Stingray and Corvette Grand Sport as well as the Camaro SS. For 2020 it will be OPTIONAL in the Camaro 1LT
  • LT1 is also the model designation for the 1LT with optional LT1.
    • The LT1 model does not use the 2.0T or the 3.6L
Not confusing at all (Thanx Chevy Mktg :facepalm: )

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I had to read that like 3-4x to get it clear in my head. But then again, I don't really pay attention to trim levels, unless I am looking for something specific.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've said it before, but if you're driving a car that doesn't have the A/C, carpet, radio, etc., stripped out of it, then absolute track performance isn't your primary concern. You're compromising your performance for other things that you find to be worth the trade-off. With that, just about all the things that make the Mustangs less capable track cars (mostly cooling) can be addressed with more money, but virtually none of the things that make the Camaro a less desirable car for many to own can be addressed by any amount of money. I can see that being a draw for some people to buy the Mustang over the Camaro, but it really depends on your priorities and personal tastes. That, and of course the fact that most buyers don't track either car.

It is frustrating that Ford offered the base GT350 at what seemed to be a pretty reasonable MSRP, but the market and dealers went crazy with it.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
It is frustrating that Ford offered the base GT350 at what seemed to be a pretty reasonable MSRP, but the market and dealers went crazy with it.
This is basically any dealer with any type of halo car. Dodge tried to prevent this with the Demon, but a workaround was found by the dealers.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
but if you're driving a car that doesn't have the A/C, carpet, radio, etc., stripped out of it, then absolute track performance isn't your primary concern.
If you’re driving a car that is street-legal, then absolute track performance isn’t your primary concern.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Just like GM uses the same LT4 for the ZL1 and the Grand Sport. It's like when I see a car on Craigslist with the "Corvette motor, and 3/4 race cam"

Grand Sport has the LT1, ZO6 has the LT4, ZR1 the LT5

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
. The PP2 is a joke and everyone knows it.

I passed on the 1LE because the Camaro styling sucks IMHO and doesn't appeal to me from any angle. Say what you want, But I'm happy when I see this in my garage:
IMG_4608.jpg

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I passed on the 1LE because the Camaro styling sucks IMHO and doesn't appeal to me from any angle. Say what you want, But I'm happy when I see this in my garage:
IMG_4608.jpg
It looks good, but all the track oriented upgrades are pointless without proper cooling. If you like it strictly for the looks then that makes sense. You may be shocked at the invoice when you go to replace those tires though. They aren't great for strictly street driving.

I like the way both cars look. I've never had a bone to pick with that.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It looks good, but all the track oriented upgrades are pointless without proper cooling. If you like it strictly for the looks then that makes sense. You may be shocked at the invoice when you go to replace those tires though. They aren't great for strictly street driving.

I like the way both cars look. I've never had a bone to pick with that.
That’s why if I were to buy a PP2, first thing I’d do is replace the wheels and tires and store them away for track duty. Probably go a bit narrower on the fronts to reduce the tramlining. Second thing would be to get coolers installed. Then I’d have a car that would make a really nice daily driver, but be track ready with a wheel and tire change.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SXT
SXT Plus
GT AWD
R/T
R/T Plus
R/T Shaker
T/A
R/T Plus Shaker
R/T Scat Pack
T/A Plus
392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker
T/A 392
SRT 392
SRT Hellcat
SRT Hellcat Widebody
SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
SRT Demon
SRT Demon Tournament Edition
SRT Demon Turbo: Ultimate Fighting Edition
Challenger Extended Directors Cut
Challenger: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
Sony Entertainment Presents: Dodge Challenger
I don't like the SXT name, but the rest are pretty good in my opinion. Dodge is doing a good job and their sales reflect it. Especially without any major redesigns.
Sponsored