Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I am fully aware of the what/why/how regarding the 7.0 camaro. But it still didn’t do all the bad things to the 6.2 that fatguy says the 7.3 would do to the 5.0, which was my point.
Trust me, I'm not advocating for fatguy here, but the Z/28 was essentially a completely different car and not just an engine option. At MSRP is was a 30k+ price adder so of course it didn't affect SS sales. Now, if there was an option to drop a LS7 in a standard SS at the time for 5-7k you would probably have seen some impact.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
No that was not bait...

This is:

If there is one thing to take from a thread like this is that peer pressure works - most of the time. I didn’t count the pages but the unrelenting pressure by different members along with the “likes” brigade of supporters, usually takes its toll. Not on me mind you, as I grew up isolated. But the group as a whole will try and test you. The funny thing is the more they test you, the more they respect you even if it is only on a subconscious level. If you really stick it to them and refuse to budge you may even get supporters into the fight as they see their situations mirrored in your little social fight.

Actually, I really haven’t budged at all. Listen to DrGrabster as he seems to know me “too” well (Hummm...). He knew it was all humbug (he is the only one here that can say that term and actually mean it).

Anyway this thread really has little to do with a 7.3 gas engine as much as it has to do with egos and the social politic. This community has a pecking order and the possibility of a larger motor - that is particularly enticing to those lower on the totem pole - and basically leap-frogging them over the current king of the hill 5.0, well it upsets that order. Ford fleeces it’s customers to get them into a GT and to have that paid for status taken away must rile them up.

But at the end of the day size matters. Park a GT and a 7.3 swap Mustang with 7.3 badging and anyone from 8 years old and up will say the 7.3 is better just because it has the bigger motor. Like penis size you can argue this and that, but people will only see that as someone trying to make up for inadequacy because they have a smaller dick or motor.

The 7.3 has more cubic inches and more torque than the Coyote. That will be a fact. Horsepower can be more for the 5.0 but that argument is like saying a smaller penis is ok if the smaller size let’s you thrust faster. As a metaphor I hope you can see the folly in this argument. Most women will still prefer the larger size if they are honest. Same for motors, the average person on the street will value the 7.3 as better than the 5.0, and that is that. In the end it matters what the neighbours think and what the cute girl at the drive through thinks about you and your car. In short, actual capabilities matter, but perception from other car driver’s and pedestrians also matters, if not more.

And that in short has been driving this thread. Ask your girl friend or wife what is really going on here between the two motors - 5.0 and 7.3 - and the women will say it’s all about size and that is what this thread is really about.

I’m not your psychologist or psychiatrist, but anyone can see there is more invested in this discussion than swapping a motor. And, facts and figures can never overcome something as simple as size. Size matters and the 7.3 is larger and for most people that is all that counts and that is what was always driving this discussion - simmering under all the technical mumbo jumbo, and empty platitudes.

I want my big block!

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
last as in previous or final?

You should trust you first instincts about people - they are probably right...

Others may have differing political leanings and lifestyles. The person you think may be your enemy may in fact be a friend and what you think is a friend may be, while not the enemy, not the sort you could share an apartment with...

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Trust me, I'm not advocating for fatguy here, but the Z/28 was essentially a completely different car and not just an engine option. At MSRP is was a 30k+ price adder so of course it didn't affect SS sales. Now, if there was an option to drop a LS7 in a standard SS at the time for 5-7k you would probably have seen some impact.
GM was asking 75k MSRP for those vut right before they quit making them they were selling them at just over 50k I 100% remember them having 25k off sticker sales on the Z28.

That car was a GM parts bin car built with Z06 brakes and 427 and a giant 75k MSRP for the Z28 badge.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Parts bin doesn't make things cheap. Carbon ceramic brakes, heat exchangers for days, coil overs were impressive tech. Wizard tires didn't hurt, but even putting those same wizard tires didn't turn the ZL1 into a Z/28. For the money, you would be hard-pressed to find cars off the showroom floor that could keep up on a race track. And once the Z/28 was discounted to $50k, it became a hell of a deal. I would have loved to pick one up at $50k, but seeing what the payment and loan duration would be on a $50k car, I quickly dismissed the idea.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Username, when you add the weight of a PD blower, heat exchanger, intercooler, pump, and aluminum intake manifold it does add up to some weight. I removed the front lowering springs on my '05 after going from a Procharger to a Whipple set up.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Z28 argument aside, stealing sales from the 5.0 is not the reason ford isn’t putting the 7.3 in the mustang. There are a dozen reasons but that isn’t one of them. There are tons of examples I can cite, the z28 being only one of them. Hell, ford just came out with a better 2.3. But but but it might steal sales from the old 2.3!!! Ford doesn’t care about that as long as they are selling cars and special editions get people into the showrooms.

They aren’t putting the dump truck motor in the mustang because it doesn’t belong there.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Actually you pay me a compliment. I do nobody any good thinking like everyone else.

Thanks!

But you are not able to address my post, or rebuttal what I have said. None of your post hold to a sound logic, you just keep making blanket statements and attempting to use your opinion as reality.

Then spew psychological assessments of yourself, as individual proof of the unnamed masses.... that aren't there (in reality).

I only respond, because Your posts are so off base (you have to be trolling)… that it makes me wonder if you have evAr been on a track with a modern s550 Mustang. Or even know the capabilities of todays sports cars, taken to their limit and driven there.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Guess we are all safe from becoming a loon.

Now, now...

He knows I’m big on free speech and thought so he gets to speak his mind without complaints or social pressure or ostracism. I’m a hard ass on that.

Everyone gets to think and speak their minds except me. I constantly self-censor myself because it will be used against me. Seen it in action many times. There are archiving robots on my websites all the time and not the usual ones. Even today there was some guy from Equifax checking up on me for someone. I put my hands up in resignation and he burst out laughing. So I went inside and kept an eye in him. He checked out my car and took photos of the back end and plates and left.

My life - and yes I asked for this so I shouldn’t complain...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
But you are not able to address my post, or rebuttal what I have said. None of your post hold to a sound logic, you just keep making blanket statements and attempting to use your opinion as reality.

Then spew psychological assessments of yourself, as individual proof of the unnamed masses.... that aren't there (in reality).

I only respond, because Your posts are so off base (you have to be trolling)… that it makes me wonder if you have evAr been on a track with a modern s550 Mustang. Or even know the capabilities of todays sports cars, taken to their limit and driven there.

Or, maybe I have more important things on my mind. All sorts of people drive Mustangs. All voices are of equal value. There is no such thing as a troll, just differences in perspective - and ultimately who is the judge of that?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
.... There is no such thing as a troll, just differences in perspective - and ultimately who is the judge of that?
And there’s no such thing as fact or fiction, wrong or right, yea yea we’ve heard your load of it already.
Sponsored