Video: GT350 Crash At The Nurburgring

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There is another reason he might have been off-line and too fast - it's also possible that he ran out of brakes. He actually drives the car wide and takes the barrier as gently as he can under the circumstances.
I watched that over and over. I don't think so but not impossible.

Anyone who tracks knows that once you leave the pavement, you are pretty much just along for the ride at that point.

My impression is that he entered the turn too fast, got loose, and exaggerated his situation by going to the brakes. If you look at his front wheels, he didn't aggressively attempt to stay on the pavement, but the result would have been the same.

It is unfortunate, however, I am glad he was ok.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think 50Deep made a huge blunder by trying to capitalize on this guy's misfortune. It's disgusting.
Who knows. If you look at the wheel in the splash photo for the video, you see a broken wheel. Maybe he thought this crash was due to wheel failure. After watching frame by frame, I feel this had nothing to do with the wheels. However he has a valid point though (which I agree with), why would someone track a car like this with 6GR wheels?

Terrance is a good guy and I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he will be along to address your concerns.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I watched that over and over. I don't think so but not impossible.

Anyone who tracks knows that once you leave the pavement, you are pretty much just along for the ride at that point.

My impression is that he entered the turn too fast, got loose, and exaggerated his situation by going to the brakes. If you look at his front wheels, he didn't aggressively attempt to stay on the pavement, but the result would have been the same.

It is unfortunate, however, I am glad he was ok.
I agree - I was just offering an alternate explanation to the obvious one. I also watched him over and over, but I also watched the yellow car that went through ahead of him over and over. He goes through the braking zone in the same place on the track as the yellow car, and he drives over the same set of painted letters that the yellow car drives over on corner entry. The more I watched, the more convinced I became that he knew the corner well enough to get around it properly. At that point, the question is "why is he going too fast?". Driver error or brakes? It could be either, but what impressed me is the way the driver keeps the car under control - most videos of that corner feature spin after spin, with out-of-control cars hitting the inside or outside barriers nose-on or tail-first. This guy doesn't do that. He scrubs off as much speed as he can through the corner while maintaining steering control, then he drives onto the gravel without the slightest bobble and takes the barrier side-on.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Total driver error - he hit the brakes when he should been pushing the throttle

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
Yep, as stated, I agree. This crash had nothing to do with the wheels. I was pointing out the whole picture, the wheels, no splitter, no tow hook(s), and inexperience (As evidenced by the line he was driving).

Again, I wouldn't track 6GR wheels.
Value priced wheels, no tow hooks, no splitter, amazing this car even made it out of the garage. :D

Last Porsche event I went to at Thunder Hill I saw more than a handful of GT3RS models and heavy track prepped cars with Apex wheels.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I agree - I was just offering an alternate explanation to the obvious one. I also watched him over and over, but I also watched the yellow car that went through ahead of him over and over. He goes through the braking zone in the same place on the track as the yellow car, and he drives over the same set of painted letters that the yellow car drives over on corner entry. The more I watched, the more convinced I became that he knew the corner well enough to get around it properly. At that point, the question is "why is he going too fast?". Driver error or brakes? It could be either, but what impressed me is the way the driver keeps the car under control - most videos of that corner feature spin after spin, with out-of-control cars hitting the inside or outside barriers nose-on or tail-first. This guy doesn't do that. He scrubs off as much speed as he can through the corner while maintaining steering control, then he drives onto the gravel without the slightest bobble and takes the barrier side-on.
Huh, he is absolutely not in control of that car at all. Just because it doesn't spin doesn't mean he has control. He put himself in a position where he became the passenger and not the driver anymore. He doesn't even hit the brakes that hard until he is almost off of the track already. The rest was just luck that he stayed in the barrier.

Last edited:

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Value priced wheels, no tow hooks, no splitter, amazing this car even made it out of the garage. :D

Last Porsche event I went to at Thunder Hill I saw more than a handful of GT3RS models and heavy track prepped cars with Apex wheels.
That can't be true. Apex wheels aren't fully forged! gasp!!!

Woody25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Vehicle(s)
2019 350R
Terrible line choice for starters and maybe if the car was 400 pounds lighter he could have saved it. Glad he walked away from it.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I have no intention in tracking my reg GT autobox and I don't doubt the claim that 6gr wheels aren't one of the best structurally sound wheels. However, what is wrong with tracking it? Is it because you think it'll contort under stress? I was under the assumption that flow formed wheels are of equal strength to oem cast wheels.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That GT350 made the news on “Car Buzz” app:
https://carbuzz.com/news/fail-shelby-gt-350-driver-shows-us-how-not-to-do-it-at-the-nurburgring

Glad the driver and passenger are ok.

I’m wondering if the Owner had any type of insurance that would cover such an accident during a timed exhibition event? If not, that’s also an expensive lesson learned.

I also don’t get why some folks comment if the owner had $60k to buy such a car, that they should have the liquid cash to be able to take risks and track the car, or buy XYZ accessories for the car. Unfortunately, some folks have just enough cashola (or credit for loan) to being able to swing the purchase for their dream ride, but most don’t have cash liquidity in the event of a major mishap.

I wonder too if the owner is a member here and is sitting in silence,..

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was under the assumption that flow formed wheels are of equal strength to oem cast wheels.
Or stronger. But there's varying degrees of quality. I won't necessarily comment on who is where because I don't fully know but I've had my fair share of wheels before and have also seen some surprises here and there at autocross and on the track.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Total driver error - he hit the brakes when he should been pushing the throttle
If he had hit the throttle he would have understeered even more and gone nose first into the barrier. I do feel that he could have had more steering angle, but I wasn't there and second guessing him seems somewhat arrogant to me. I'm not a pro driver and I've never driven on the Nurburgring, so I can't say I know more than the driver in that car does.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
If he had hit the throttle he would have understeered even more and gone nose first into the barrier. I do feel that he could have had more steering angle, but I wasn't there and second guessing him seems somewhat arrogant to me. I'm not a pro driver and I've never driven on the Nurburgring, so I can't say I know more than the driver in that car does.
It seems pretty simple to me that he just overcooked the entrance and realized it way to late. Hitting the brakes or gas wasn't going to save him from going off the track by the time he realized it. A simple mistake we've all done and I've been lucky to either make the corner or take an over run out (not sure that is the right term). I know this course is almost everybody's dream to drive, but between the traffic (dubious talent of the drivers of said traffic) and my own talent level, I think I'll take one of the ring taxis when I'm out there. As everyone knows it is probably the most unforgiving track around today and if you make a mistake this happens quickly.

Even the pros fuck it up sometimes. A video from the same corner.

Sponsored