Sponsored

V8 Mustang prototype spied (video)....but what is it?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
N/A 5.2 CPC
Only realistic option they would do. The 7.3 is purely a truck engine (also doesn't fit), and the 5.0 is pretty close to maxxed out for a production, emissions-certifiable engine.
Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Only realistic option they would do. The 7.3 is purely a truck engine (also doesn't fit), and the 5.0 is pretty close to maxxed out for a production, emissions-certifiable engine.
No Joke. People keep talking about the 7.3L as if it is a performance option. It is not. It likely isn't capable of the performance of the Coyote.

That said, the 5.0L probably has another 60-75hp of emissions certified potential in it, but like I said in a previous post, were likely to just get the bullitt version in whatever this is; if that.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Think I’ve got it finally. After reading all the posts and particularly the inside knowledge posts.
It’s the next pp2.
What’s good about the current pp2? It costs ford no more to make than a specd gt.
Reviews say it’s great, not far off a gt350!
What’s bad- because the wheels poke out beyond most legal limits they can’t sell as many as they would like into markets crying out for something slightly more track focused. Also it doesn’t differentiate itself visually from a stock car with aftermarket wheels which may put some potential buyers off.
How to get the best of both worlds-stick wider fenders on it...

I will visit my dealer today to get in the queue as I doubt we will ever get the 350 now

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Since the car has a big rearspoiler and it seems like a bigger frontsplitter my guess is some kind of "High Performance GT". A little bit more horsepower (maybe like the Bullitt), adding stuff from the Performance Package 2 (or rebranding it).

To be honest, Performance Package 2 is not the best name to differentiate from the PP1.

But more interestingly, the frontend looks like the EU model (clear reflector in the headlights, white LED parking lights in the bumper) - So maybe we will see a performance model here in Europe too.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I still think the Mystry Mustang is a GT350 with super light hood and front fenders that flip up to make a full tilt front. It will be a GT350 R with more track capabilities.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
But more interestingly, the frontend looks like the EU model (clear reflector in the headlights, white LED parking lights in the bumper) - So maybe we will see a performance model here in Europe too.

Yes, it does appear to be a "Euro Spec" car........no dash center gauges, either.

Hopefully it'll be spotted again soon. Would love to get some clearer images on the front end as this doesn't appear to have the revised front bumper/re-positioned turn signals as seen on that camo'd prototype a few weeks back.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yes, it does appear to be a "Euro Spec" car........no dash center gauges, either.

Hopefully it'll be spotted again soon. Would love to get some clearer images on the front end as this doesn't appear to have the revised front bumper/re-positioned turn signals as seen on that camo'd prototype a few weeks back.
Yeah, it's really interesting that we saw that many different prototypes in the last weeks (incl the now announced HP Ecoobst). Seems like Ford has big plans for MY2021

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No Joke. People keep talking about the 7.3L as if it is a performance option. It is not. It likely isn't capable of the performance of the Coyote.

That said, the 5.0L probably has another 60-75hp of emissions certified potential in it, but like I said in a previous post, were likely to just get the bullitt version in whatever this is; if that.
The Bullitt and normal 18+ GT are much closer than the published numbers (underrated, and real world backed up by many stock dynos at 415-425 whp). The GT350 manifold really doesn't make any more power than the 18 manifold unless there are higher rpm cams added. They chose not to do that with the Bullitt and thus keep the same redline as the 18+ GT, for cost reasons. 60+ more hp out of the 5.0L is optimistic for something that would meet durability cycles and emissions. Maybe 20-30 more. They've already thrown the sink at it, for the most part.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Maybe 20-30 more. They've already thrown the sink at it, for the most part.
A nice round 500hp would be pretty cool :sunglasses:

(although sad to think the Coyote might be almost at the end of its development life-cycle :frown: )

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Saleen S-7 was and is powered by a 7 Liter Windsor (351 Based).
The 351 was a truck motor for the most part.

The 7.3 fits just fine......measurements have already been taken.

For the history buffs.....The 1st Gen GT40 was push rod powered.
Most iconic version was the 427 FE.

A 7 Liter Mustang would sell like mad if Ford would not market it as a track car.
Chevy made that mistake and Mopar did not with the Demon.
Mopar may be releasing a 426 Hemi into production....the hints are there.

Now back on topic, 5.2 CPC would be my guess........
But could be the Bullit version of the 5.0 marketed as the Mach1 or whatever......

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
A nice round 500hp would be pretty cool :sunglasses:

(although sad to think the Coyote might be almost at the end of its development life-cycle :frown: )
Not to sound like a broken record, but it's time for a engine platform change.

Truck version of the 5.0 is going to be very complex very soon........<<<<<<Wish I could openly talk about that.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Key word is based. Not a single part on the S7 motor was actually used in a 351 Windsor. If ford swapped out most of the parts on the 7.3, it could be a higher performance engine, but it being a motor that isn't even in production yet, and the 351 Windsor having several decades of factory and aftermarket development at the time the S7 was developed... you can see where I'm going with this.

We would be talking about a 7.3L that is essentially a new and completely different engine from the one that is slated for medium duty trucks. That could very well perform, but I seriously doubt Ford would invest the money for a limited production application.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If the person "in the know" says we're looking too much into it, then maybe Ford is just copying Dodge and making a Mustang Widebody? It could be a cooler way to differentiate the PP2 and give it more visual appeal. Also, the Bullitt will end after the 2020 model year. So for MY2021, I doubt they'll let those engine tweaks go away. Chances are it just ends up being the new GT motor, but it could go into something like a Mach 1 instead, which could be what we're seeing here.

Birddogjr350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 FX4
I think Ford is taking a page from Chevrolet with the grand sport where you get the big brakes, wide fenders, wide wheels and tires and all the higher end suspension bits from the high end models but with the standard run of the mile V8 for power and standard manual transmission. That way you have the look of the high horsepower model but the affordability of a lesser horsepower model.
Sponsored