OldPhart finally gets his Bullitt!

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Greetings - K4665 finally arrived a year from when I was placed third on a waiting list. Patience is indeed a virtue, but is more difficult at my age where I’m approaching the end of the descending slope of the Bell Curve of life. A special thanks to my sweet wife for saying “go for it” when I sheepishly mentioned my fascination with the Bullitt last March. Initially I’m pleased with the car and have no immediate plans for modifications although I may add a subtle removable pinstripe - sort of an identity thing like my cat marking his territory. This is my 8th manual transmission car and it may be the most difficult clutch I’ve had to master, but I’ll give it some time. If not, thanks to this forum, I’ll consider switching in a Steeda replacement spring.

Originally I was considering a Mustang GT, but when the Bullitt was revealed it really caught my eye. In addition to the sleeper look, the beautiful Highland Green color is in keeping with my Irish / Scottish ancestry. I just hope my Scottish relatives don’t find out I spent this much money on a car, much less a “toy” car. Yes, I saw the movie at a theater in the late ‘60s, yes, Steve McQueen was a cool guy and while those weren’t determining factors in buying the car, experiencing that era helps me identify with the concept of the Bullitt car. It’s understandable why post Baby Boomer generations are likely to say “Steve who?” The Bullitt essentially has the amenities I would have selected on a GT, plus some other desirable attributes. Contrary to some, I actually like the faux gas cap. There, I said it! Whoever coined the term “Dog Bowl” must have a Chihuahua, because that emblem is about the size of my cat’s food bowl. I’ll even admit to liking the red calipers, but it would have been nice to have matching Brembos on the rear wheels as well. In keeping with the current trend of political correctness, my car will be gender neutral and simply referred to as “It” or “The Bullitt” as opposed to the traditional female terms of endearment such as “She’s real fine, my 409”. Anyway, as Matt and others have said, everyone has their own personal preferences and in my case an off-beat sense of humor as well - amen.

I plan to use top tier 93 Octane gas(contaminated with 10% EtOH) and follow the book on break-in and maintenance. “It” will not be drag raced or otherwise have its limits severely tested (ie. 163 mph top speed, max G-Force, etc.) because that would be foolhardy for an old geezer who highly values his remaining years. Remember, to each their own, but that doesn’t mean I won’t have some fun with it. Options: Electronics Package and MagnaRide; and no, this arthritic old guy won’t be sorry he passed on the Recaro seats. Perhaps I’ll get to meet some of you in the coming years. Happy motoring... Bruce (and Nancy)

A19B7E1A-12EA-4AA1-92D5-708AC99DCC7F.jpeg

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Bruce,
Guys like you keep me focused on naturally aspirated high performance cars and why I never want to consider myself too old to keep driving that "hot rod Lincoln". Enough of that...Congrats on that awesome ride and once you have it broke-in step on the gas and unleash Steve McQueen because he wants to be free! Enjoy!!!

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Congratulations Bruce! As one old fart to another, we have a similar outlook on our new green toys. As the guilty party who coined the "Dogbowl" term; well, I'm glad you like it and the 'Merry Christmas' red calipers! Vive la différence !

I drove my Bullitt 1,293 miles yesterday, from NW Montana to sunny SoCal to replace the Ford rear caliper with a set of Brembos, and make 'em all Nardo Gray with Brembo logos in black. I was stopped once by the Idaho State Patrol, but talked my way out of 1) jail and 2) a very expensive ticket...the officer was another old fart who was charmed by Kermit. Enjoy your new ride in good health.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Congratulations Bruce. You will love it! It's made for one thing and one thing only, too put a smile on your face....and it does that well....

slammer223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2017 Mustang GT convertible
Congratulations Bruce.
I got my Bullitt at the beginning of this year. So far, hood struts and the Steeda clutch spring, so from one old fart to another Old Phart, get the spring. You don't need the entire mechanism, just the spring. Easy install and you'll be able to feel clutch engagement much better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations Bruce. You will love it! It's made for one thing and one thing only, too put a smile on your face....and it does that well....
Thanks Brett. When I get improve my photography skills closer to yours, I post a nice picture... Bruce

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations Bruce.
I got my Bullitt at the beginning of this year. So far, hood struts and the Steeda clutch spring, so from one old fart to another Old Phart, get the spring. You don't need the entire mechanism, just the spring. Easy install and you'll be able to feel clutch engagement much better.
Thanks for the tip. I’m starting to get the hang of it (the clutch)... Bruce

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Bruce,
Guys like you keep me focused on naturally aspirated high performance cars and why I never want to consider myself too old to keep driving that "hot rod Lincoln". Enough of that...Congrats on that awesome ride and once you have it broke-in step on the gas and unleash Steve McQueen because he wants to be free! Enjoy!!!
Thanks. Yeah, once fun and fast cars are in your blood, it doesn’t go away. They’ll have to hide the keys on me... Bruce

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations Bruce! As one old fart to another, we have a similar outlook on our new green toys. As the guilty party who coined the "Dogbowl" term; well, I'm glad you like it and the 'Merry Christmas' red calipers! Vive la différence !

I drove my Bullitt 1,293 miles yesterday, from NW Montana to sunny SoCal to replace the Ford rear caliper with a set of Brembos, and make 'em all Nardo Gray with Brembo logos in black. I was stopped once by the Idaho State Patrol, but talked my way out of 1) jail and 2) a very expensive ticket...the officer was another old fart who was charmed by Kermit. Enjoy your new ride in good health.

Nice trip. Was it expensive to change to the Brembos? My joking about the dog bowl and red calipers is just my dry tongue-in-cheek sense of humor and not to be taken as criticism. I have a broad range of acceptance of others points of views which is helpful when married. With the green Bullitt and my red GTO there’s definitely a hint of Christmas in my barn. Since I now have a goat(GTO)and a horse(Mustang) in the barn, does that mean I’m living on a farm? Bruce

Sponsored

ERNIEM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ERNIE
Vehicle(s)
19 BULLITT, XJ6, FIREBIRD, GRAND PRIX, MIATA
Greetings - K4665 finally arrived a year from when I was placed third on a waiting list.
A19B7E1A-12EA-4AA1-92D5-708AC99DCC7F.jpeg
Congratulations Bruce! Hope you enjoy your Green Machine as much as I enjoy mine. I drive mine daily and it not only makes me feel like a celebrity, it brings out the teen driver in me as I roar under an underpass. This car has a mischievous soul. I love it.

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations Bruce! Hope you enjoy your Green Machine as much as I enjoy mine. I drive mine daily and it not only makes me feel like a celebrity, it brings out the teen driver in me as I roar under an underpass. This car has a mischievous soul. I love it.
Thanks Ernie. The weather is just starting to get nice up here in western NY and I am planning to drive it pretty regularly. I’m still learning some of the cars nuances. It will be enjoyed for sure... Bruce

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Thanks Brett. When I get improve my photography skills closer to yours, I post a nice picture... Bruce
You bet! Looking forward to seeing them...

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Congrats Bruce! Your car came in at the perfect time, right as the nice weather is starting up. The clutch is indeed tricky, one of the hardest manual transmissions sold in 2019 in my opinion, but I've gotten used to it. I'm sure you will too. Have fun!